How Can I Stop Cats Messing Under My Stored Caravan?

Curtisden

:angry::blink::angry::blink::angry:

My caravan is stored behind my home on a gravel drive.

The problem is the 6+ cats that are around us use the dry underside as a toilet.

Any advice of how to stop this.

We use a water power scarecrow to keep them off my raised beds but this is is no use here?

Peter

Kind regards Peter and Rosalind.  Remember 

"One hand for you and one for the ship".  https://www. flickr. com/photos/curtisden/

The problem is the 6+ cats that are around us use the dry underside as a toilet.

We use a water power scarecrow to keep them off my raised beds but this is is no use here?

Peter

My Nans favourite method for keeping cats off her garden was to bury small bottles up to the neck in her garden and put about half a inch of household ammonia in them cats always sniff about before they go and once they got a nose full of the ammonia they took of plenty fast.

Steve

2017 Dethleffs Globus I1 Motorhome.

:angry:

One thing that I am trying is Sent Off also sold as Get of Gell. £5 a small bottle but does seem to deter for a week till they dry out.

Its the smell in the sun I find the main offence. :blink:

Why do people throw out their mog to foul someone else's property.

Peter

:angry:

"One hand for you and one for the ship".  https://www. flickr. com/photos/curtisden/

Ask at your local garden centre for a plant, sold under the names of Scardy Cat or Coleus Canina (named by the RHS as Plectranthus ornatus). Its a relatively new plant which has a smell reputed to repel cats and recommended by the 'Vegan Society' as a humane form of pest control. Coleus Canina likes sun & well drained soil, in pots or the garden, tolerates light frost if kept dry. Trim in spring. Height and spread approx 40cm in two years. The foliage produces an unpleasant smell when touched. It can be grown out of doors in the summer, but needs frost protection in the winter.

Gordon.

ScardyCatPlant.jpg

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Peter

Try spraying raw vinagar on the gravel under the van with a garden spray bottle.

it works. .

Tez

Edited by SuzukiGV

I know the problem well, but if you have ever had rodent damage to your van etc you might have second thoughts about scaring away the filthy cats!

I've heard that cats hate citrus fruit so I don't know whether putting some lemon juice on a sponge or something might help - totally guessing though - I'll keep my ears open for any other suggestions among us cat lovers.

Cats are vermin and should be treated as such.

We use Cayenne pepper and it works. Cats hate it. Needs renewing occasionally but if sprinkled under 'van,and therefore in the dry, its effect will last longer.

We also use a sonic gun which you need to point at the cat. ...and it runs like hell!I think we bought the gun from Lakeland but I believe Garden Centres will sell them too.

We were once visiting a Solicitor to arrange a house purchase. Halfway through the proceedings he looked out the window,said "excuse me,"went to a grandfather clock and opened the case pulling out a twin barreled shotgun. Pointed it out the window,let off two barrels and calmly returned to replace the gun in the clockcase. He explained that he was sick and tired of cats fouling his garden and that that"seemed to sort the feline miscreants." Then carried calmy on with our dealings. Don't necessarily recommend it,but it seemed to work. Mind you,it was 30+ years ago so you might not get away with it now.

Good luck!

Hi Raymond,

I didn't relise that they were classified as vermin, I know a lot of people think that way,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Thats a wee bit extreme :D

Regards
Ian

Save your old teabags and let them dry out.

Sprinkle a few drops of Obus Oil on them and toss them under the caravan.

Cats hate the pungent smell.

G.

P. S. Too late for you I know. .. but anyone else thinking of putting down gravel use a coarser stone/pebble the larger the better 'cos the cats can cover their mess with larger pebbles! Pea Grit is just like cat litter to them!

There are some 'extreme' measures which would perhaps not go down too well on a public forum. I tend to agree with the cat/vermin theory but acknowledge that some consider them to be pets.

A friend of mine bought an electric fence unit out of the freeads to keep them out of his garden. They work well and are powered from a 12v car battery. Give that a try.

Edited by ashtons99

Just remembered another one although I have no personal knowledge about how successfull it is.

Could be an Urban (read Jungle) myth. . but someone told me that if you can get a sample of lion poo from a local zoo and put that uder the van. ..... no cats will go near it!?

As I say no personal knowledge about how successful it is. .... but a useful ice breaker topic for when you have dinner guests around!! :rolleyes:

G.

Edited by chapmag

Guest Tephi
Just remembered another one although I have no personal knowledge about how successfull it is.

Could be an Urban (read Jungle) myth. . but someone told me that if you can get a sample of lion poo from a local zoo and put that uder the van. ..... no cats will go near it!?

As I say no personal knowledge about how successful it is. .... but a useful ice breaker topic for when you have dinner guests around!! :rolleyes:

G.

If it doesn't work you can use it on your rhubarb :lol:

Problem is you are replacing one lot of Poo with a large example of the stuff with Lions. ;) That is what i am trying to stop building up under the van.

Have to say some small improvement is 2 weeks just one offering after using get off anbd that only when the stuff had dried out.

Problem is you are replacing one lot of Poo with a large example of the stuff with Lions. ;) That is what i am trying to stop building up under the van.

Have to say some small improvement is 2 weeks just one offering after using get off anbd that only when the stuff had dried out.

The little blighters are constantly using our garden. I pick their offerings up on an old shovel and launch it back from whence it's depositor came.