Mondeo Titanium Vs Mondeo St

kev211n

Depends on manufacturer and if it's detachable or fixed

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

Hi, Will a towbar from a 2005 titanium fit on a 2006 mondeo st

cheers

The ST220 is not type approved for towing so no towbar is available for it. The ST TDCi is type approved and there is a towbar for it, it would seem that the Titanium towbar is the same as the ST TDCi towbar see here

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

The ST220 is not type approved for towing so no towbar is available for it. The ST TDCi is type approved and there is a towbar for it, it would seem that the Titanium towbar is the same as the ST TDCi towbar see here

It depends on Manufacturer Bill. Witter provide enough clearance for the ST with their standard bar, some other, Towsure just one example, do not.

Cheers

Lee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

It depends on Manufacturer Bill. Witter provide enough clearance for the ST with their standard bar, some other, Towsure just one example, do not.

Cheers

Lee

It is not just a matter of the towbar manufacturer, the ST220 is not type approved by ford for the fitting of a towbar and as such it is illegal for anyone to fit a towbar to an ST220. The only way to check on this for your vehicle is to look at the plate and see if it has a gross train weight included, no gross train weight means that it is illegal to tow with it.

Bill

It is not just a matter of the towbar manufacturer, the ST220 is not type approved by ford for the fitting of a towbar and as such it is illegal for anyone to fit a towbar to an ST220. The only way to check on this for your vehicle is to look at the plate and see if it has a gross train weight included, no gross train weight means that it is illegal to tow with it.

I'm not talking about the ST220 Bill, I know the thread starter was looking at an ST TDCi and it was me who explained why the ST220 can't tow on the other thread.

The ST TDCi has a different bumper to the Titanium, some manufacturers like Witter have bars that will fit the later Titaniums and the ST TDCi so if he has one of those bars he's OK. If he has a Towsure braket on the Titanium it will not fit the ST TDCi.

The mounting holes and fitments are identicle it's the clearance for the bumper thats the issue. You have to check with the towbar manufacturer to see if it will fit both.

Cheers

Lee

Edited by logiclee

I'm not talking about the ST220 Bill, I know the thread starter was looking at an ST TDCi and it was me who explained why the ST220 can't tow on the other thread.

The ST TDCi has a different bumper to the Titanium, some manufacturers like Witter have bars that will fit the later Titaniums and the ST TDCi so if he has one of those bars he's OK. If he has a Towsure braket on the Titanium it will not fit the ST TDCi.

The mounting holes and fitments are identicle it's the clearance for the bumper thats the issue. You have to check with the towbar manufacturer to see if it will fit both.

Cheers

Lee

My apologies I thought you were saying that it was possible to tow with an ST220 the OP did only ask about the ST and did not mention whether it was ST220 or St TDCi. In fact no matter what reason for not being type approved that is come up with the reason it can not tow is simply that Ford did not type approve it which is what I said very early on in the last thread.

Edited by Bill Lord

Bill

My apologies I thought you were saying that it was possible to tow with an ST220 the OP did only ask about the ST and did not mention whether it was ST220 or St TDCi. In fact no matter what reason for not being type approved that is come up with the reason it can not tow is simply that Ford did not type approve it which is what I said very early on in the last thread.

It's a shame that they thought it wasn't worth the effort or money to type approve a towbar for the ST220 but even at it's peak Ford only sold about 900 examples a year. Aston Martin sold more DB9's than Ford did ST220's.

I run the same engine and running gear as the ST220 and mine tows great. The ST with even firmer suspension and lower profile tyres would be even more stable.

Cheers

Lee

Lee - towbar manufacturers are gradually coming to terms with different versions of the same base car needing towball at different heights, relative to the chassis - it's relatively easy to engineer in at the design stage - the problem comes in separate cost of type approval compared to very low sales for specific models - the Mondeo ST220, selling 900 a year, will need towbars for 45 (say 5%) because most ST220 owners wouldn't dream of towing anything or spoiling it's good looks.

It's the type-approval cost divided by very low anticipated towbar sales which stop towbar manufacturers making them for low volume variants of common models.

I do agree totally that a lowered, more stable, car does make an excellent towcar

Lee - towbar manufacturers are gradually coming to terms with different versions of the same base car needing towball at different heights, relative to the chassis - it's relatively easy to engineer in at the design stage - the problem comes in separate cost of type approval compared to very low sales for specific models - the Mondeo ST220, selling 900 a year, will need towbars for 45 (say 5%) because most ST220 owners wouldn't dream of towing anything or spoiling it's good looks.

It's the type-approval cost divided by very low anticipated towbar sales which stop towbar manufacturers making them for low volume variants of common models.

I do agree totally that a lowered, more stable, car does make an excellent towcar

It was a bit more involved with the ST220 as well, there are models in the line up with lowered sports suspension so that really wasn't a major issue, the problem with the ST220 is it's exhausts. The standard 3. 0V6 same as mine uses a standard Mondeo exhaust that follows the ususall route down the car undertray and has the cat and silensers in the usuall place.

The ST220 has a custom stainless steel system with twin downpipes, twin sports cats, two twin entry /exit sports silencers, and the splits to either side of the car with a back box at each side.

Allthough it is possible to bolt a ST TDCi towbar in position it's only millimeters off the exhaust sections to the rear back boxes.

Ford would have had to engineer and type approve a completely different towbar for the ST220, for the numbers sold, just wasn't worth it.

exhaust.jpg

Cheers

Lee

Edited by logiclee