Bike Rack Mounted To Rear Of Caravan

cheers

I have a 2008 Bailey Ranger 540/6 does anyone have a bike rack mounted to the rear of the caravan? Is this possible or a good idea?

Ranger 540/6. .. Love it dearly!!!

I've seen them on Swift Group products but never a Bailey.

Personally I wouldn't want the weight of bikes right at the back of the 'van . .. it could lead to instability. Though the continentals seem to do it.

2010 Volvo XC70 D5 SE Lux (2012 V60 D5 All Wheel Drive R Design after March 12!)

2012 Swift Conqueror 480, with Omnivent, Mini Heki in Loo, Mudflaps and ALKO Mammut Mover

No and no!

Some continental caravans have fixing points for rear-mounted cycle carriers built into their rear wall - I doubt very much whether a Bailey has. Some continental caravans also have longer A-frames without a fairing which allows a bike rack at the front.

You'd need to reduce the weight of other payload items to permit this extra weight and your noseweight would be very difficult to get correct.

How many bikes do you want to take? What's their total weight?

Possible - Yes, if your caravan has a window in the right place or the rear wall is specially reinforced.

A good idea - No, not in my opinion because of stability issues.

Some caravanners do it and will swear it's o. k. but I'd want a good look at their car/caravan weight ratio, the speeds they travel at and every other aspect of their set up.

Scales

The Caravan Club don,t recommend carrying bikes on the rear of a van, however 2008 Swift caravans have mounting points built in and this was on a list of things in their 2008 brochure.

A friend of mine has booked his Swift in for a Fiamma bike carrier to be fitted to his 2008 Conqueror 540.

We saw one fitted on the back of a Swift at Calais docks last year. It was a fixed bed model and the guy fitted it himself, hiding the internal fixings in the top locker and the lower ones just above the mattress. He said there were no downsides to carrying bikes this way.

Obviously nosewight will be affected.

In your case you need to contact Bailey for their advice, unless any Bailey owners have fitted one.

I had one on the back of my Freestyle and it was absolutely fine. Towed with a Terrano at the time.

Only thing I miss on my current Bailey - really easy and convenient and easy to use. I know there are the sceptics (have they had any direct experience of them?), but having used one, I had no stability issues whatsoever.

Cheers

Paul

Kia Sorento KX3 towing Bailey Unicorn Barcelona 2011

No and no!

Some continental caravans have fixing points for rear-mounted cycle carriers built into their rear wall - I doubt very much whether a Bailey has. Some continental caravans also have longer A-frames without a fairing which allows a bike rack at the front.

You'd need to reduce the weight of other payload items to permit this extra weight and your noseweight would be very difficult to get correct.

How many bikes do you want to take? What's their total weight?

I'd like to carry 2 childrens bikes and one adult not sure of weights. ...

The Caravan Club don,t recommend carrying bikes on the rear of a van, however 2008 Swift caravans have mounting points built in and this was on a list of things in their 2008 brochure.

A friend of mine has booked his Swift in for a Fiamma bike carrier to be fitted to his 2008 Conqueror 540.

We saw one fitted on the back of a Swift at Calais docks last year. It was a fixed bed model and the guy fitted it himself, hiding the internal fixings in the top locker and the lower ones just above the mattress. He said there were no downsides to carrying bikes this way.

Obviously nosewight will be affected.

In your case you need to contact Bailey for their advice, unless any Bailey owners have fitted one.

Thanks I've just sent them an email so will post the reply when I get it. .... Many thanks

"I had one on the back of my Freestyle and it was absolutely fine. "

Me too! My rack, for two adult mountain bikes, was on a Swift Challenger 390 and then on a Bailey Cabriolet and Magenta, all being towed swiftly by a VW Golf GTI or Passat. My rack hung from the older style rail that the rear window used to also hang from. The lower fittings were sandwiched behind the rear grab handles. Absolutely no ill effect on stability.

Common practice on the continent, particularly with the Dutch and Germans and it doesn't seem to cause stability problems. The major rack manufacturers used to supply a list of vans suitable for rear mounting either with existing reinforced mounting points or suitable to be reinforced. Try contacting one of them. I suspect any warranty claims attributable to the rack mounting would be rejected but that's to be expected.

I believe Swift have reinforcing under the rear panel for a bike rack, but Bailey don't. We carry four bike on the roof of the car.

Swift Challenger 490

Sorento + Fabia to help the Sorento up hills!

Common practice on the continent, particularly with the Dutch and Germans and it doesn't seem to cause stability problems.

Absolutely - in fact you can almost feel naked without one!!

We sling two bikes on the back of our Hobby with no stability problems at all, but idon't think I would want to try with a Bailey - the A-frame seems such a stubby little affair compared with European vans.

Imported Hobby 495Ufe: Volvo XC70 D5 Geartonic

My Freestyle was a "short stubby one!"

The Bailey I had was factory fresh (ie: already built), but I could have ordered the additional support of the van had not been built yet!

That is assuming it would fit on the back of my Bretagne!

Kia Sorento KX3 towing Bailey Unicorn Barcelona 2011