Mazda Cx7

phil1041

Finally, Mazda are bringing out a deisel version of the CX7, I test drove the CX7 when it first came out, fabulous car but the petrol engine just not suited to towing.

Now with the advent of the 2. 2td (170bhp), i think it would make a tremendous towcar, see this. .......http://www. whatcar. com/news-special-report. aspx?NA=238506&EL=3315954

Phil.

Edited by phil1041

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

Guest iancjc
Finally, Mazda are bringing out a deisel version of the CX7, I test drove the CX7 when it first came out, fabulous car but the petrol engine just not suited to towing.

Now with the advent of the 2. 2td (170bhp), i think it would make a tremendous towcar, see this. .......http://www. whatcar. com/news-special-report. aspx?NA=238506&EL=3315954

Phil.

too late for me - I loved this car when I saw one in France last year (still not seen one on a UK road) - so much so that I went looking when I got home and then realised no diesel version.

Phil.

Not suited to towing?

It has 256bhp and 280lbft of torque!!! :blink:

You wouldn't know you had anything on the back.

Cheers

Lee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

They don't seem to quote any towing info on their web site. I had the same problem with the ford kuga (I sent for their info and that had no info either.

Pet hate really, all they want to do is sell a car by its prity pictures).

Chris in Warwickshire, Elddis Odyssey 482 (2008), Mitsubishi Outlander diesel, 2017

As far as I can find out, it uses the ubiquitous Ford platform used for Mondeo, SMax, Galaxy as well as Mazda 6, Volvo S80, V70, XC70, and LandRover Freelander 2 so it's hardly surprising that the Ford/LandRover/Peugeot/Citroen 2. 2 diesel is used.

Not suited to towing?

It has 256bhp and 280lbft of torque!!! :blink:

You wouldn't know you had anything on the back.

Cheers

Lee

I agree, but, check out the mpg then imagine it whilst towing a van! Mazda quote 27mpg, i had it on a 2 day test, managed 25mpg just, i dread to think what i would have got towing my van!

Thats what i was reffering to.

Phil.

Edited by phil1041

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

I agree, but, check out the mpg then imagine it whilst towing a van! Mazda quote 27mpg, i had it on a 2 day test, managed 25mpg just, i dread to think what i would have got towing my van!

Thats what i was reffering to.

Phil.

MPG is entirely different to "Not suited to towing". That's more like "It will be too expensive for me to run".

My own car has a combined mpg figure of 27. 4mpg, manage 24mpg around town and 30mpg on a run. Towing is around 20mpg. Too expensive for some maybe but that doesn't alter whether it's a good tow car or not.

The CX7 Petrol is based on the Mondeo platform and has a turbo charged petrol engine, the turbo petrol Mondeo actually won Tow Car of The Year. I suspect the CX7 petrol will be a very good tow car.

Cheers

Lee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

MPG is entirely different to "Not suited to towing". That's more like "It will be too expensive for me to run".

My own car has a combined mpg figure of 27. 4mpg, manage 24mpg around town and 30mpg on a run. Towing is around 20mpg. Too expensive for some maybe but that doesn't alter whether it's a good tow car or not.

The CX7 Petrol is based on the Mondeo platform and has a turbo charged petrol engine, the turbo petrol Mondeo actually won Tow Car of The Year. I suspect the CX7 petrol will be a very good tow car.

Cheers

Lee

I guess forums are about opinions, and in mine, because of the poor MPG this car is unsuitable as a towcar, that doesn't mean it is not a good towcar or yours! Two different things entirely in my opinion of course.

I sincerely hope the Deisel version will be more suitable, i shall certainly be trying it when it is launched.

Phil.

Phil - if you disregard potential towcars because of fuel consumption - that's a lot of good, popular, tugs disregarded - Kia Sorento, L-R Discovery etc.

Good towcars with good economy can be a contradiction - weight helps to make a good towcar but weight also wrecks the fuel consumption.

We all have to chose our own compromise point on this one.

Phil - if you disregard potential towcars because of fuel consumption - that's a lot of good, popular, tugs disregarded - Kia Sorento, L-R Discovery etc.

Good towcars with good economy can be a contradiction - weight helps to make a good towcar but weight also wrecks the fuel consumption.

We all have to chose our own compromise point on this one.

I agree with you, to a point, yes it is a compromise, but what is the point in having the best towcar in the world if you cannot afford to go anywhere with it?

I think the deisel versions of the cars you quote all comfortably exceed my MPG 'benchmark'

Like i said, its a matter of opinion, and in mine, any car that returns, say less than 20mpg when towing is unsuitable. I would have thought, although i have not towed with one, that the petrol CX7 would fall into this category.

Phil.

Edited by phil1041

But the cost of running a car isn't just the fuel, it includes capital cost and depreciation, as well as long term repair costs.

The price I paid for my, then, one year old petrol Subaru Outback was about half the cost of the diesel versions of Audi Allroad and Volvo XC70 that I was considering - the £15,000 saved goes a very long way to pay for the extra fuel, particularly as petrol is much cheaper per litre than diesel.

My solo average is 28mpg and towing average about 22mpg, not actually too bad for a 4wd petrol automatic - factor in the extra cost of diesel, that's equivalent to a diesel doing 30 solo and 24 towing - the downside of a Subaru is that it won't tow more than 1500kg because of the light kerbweight - but should caravanners be concerned about fuel consumption AND buying caravans over 1500kg, I don't think so.

Now, if only Subaru would build the diesel version of the Outback but with a proper torque converter automatic gearbox.

Getting back to the Mazda CX7 - if it gets the same Aisin-Warner autobox mated to the same 2. 2 diesel engine as it's Ford and Land-Rover siblings, I'll have to consider it very seriously.

I guess forums are about opinions,

Phil.

That's right Phil, but you did not express an opinion in your first post you made a statement.

petrol engine just not suited to towing

All I'm saying is that isn't true, it's very well suited to towing, it has massive torque from low down and loads of power.

Do we say a 4. 4V8 Petrol Range Rover is not suited to towing? I don't think so.

Whether you find it economical enough is a matter of opinion and an opinion which was not mentioned in the first post.

Cheers

Lee

That's right Phil, but you did not express an opinion in your first post you made a statement.

All I'm saying is that isn't true, it's very well suited to towing, it has massive torque from low down and loads of power.

Do we say a 4. 4V8 Petrol Range Rover is not suited to towing? I don't think so.

Whether you find it economical enough is a matter of opinion and an opinion which was not mentioned in the first post.

Cheers

Lee

A little picky i think Lee, ok, i concede i should have expressed an opinion in my first post, sorry, but i still think i am right! unless you have unlimited funds it would be unsuitable (in my opinion).

PS Having driven a V8 Range Rover profesionaly for 15 years covering some 800,000 miles in them i would not tow with one for various reasons. If i went further into that i would be castigated by the Land Rover fraternity on this site so i won't!!

Phil.

A little picky i think Lee, ok, i concede i should have expressed an opinion in my first post, sorry, but i still think i am right! unless you have unlimited funds it would be unsuitable (in my opinion).

Phil.

Opinions are great aren't they. :lol:

To be honest I don't think it's that bad mpg wise, probably on par with what I get anyway.

27mpg combined on a petrol is probably equivalent to around 31mpg on a diesel with the pump prices which is not far off the higher powered (200bhp+) diesel 4X4's.

To be honest my Jeep Cherokee 2. 8 diesel cost the same to run as my 3. 0V6 Petrol Mondeo.

I don't have unlimited funds I can assure you but I don't smoke, hardly drink, and driving and motoring is my passion so spending another £20 a week on fuel I live with for the V6 wail and driving plessure.

There are plenty of people like me across many motoring Forums, but glady not too many which makes second hand fuel drinkers very cheap to buy and they are usually great tow cars too.

Cheers

Lee

Edited by logiclee