Towing With A Disco !

devonshireboy

hello again.

i am hopefully going to take the caravan abroad.

i have a abbey spectrum 520 i normally use a range rover with the 2. 5 bmw motor in it.

but as it is only having 5 seats and there is going to be 7 of us i was thinking of borrowing a friends discovery with just the 4 pot motor.

but my friend has never towed a van with it so he does not know how it responds to one.

as i have a large caravan i wondered if anyone out there has towed a big van with one of these dicoverys and what are they like in fuel consumption with the van on as i have a fair few hundred miles to cover and didnot want to be having to fill up every five mins.

so if anyone has any info on this it would be much apprecaited.

many thanks.

Edited by Moose
Adjusted the title to make topic easier to find

Towing With A Dico !, / fuel econany

Thats a bit rude - ain't it :wub:

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

Unfortunately the KIA Sorento is only 5 seats and it a bit thirsty towing - average seems to be 22 mpg towing and 28 solo BUT it pulls beautifully.

I would have thought the new Disco would be a great tow car with big V diesel.

A lot of people use the KIA Sedona to tow with - thats got 7 seats and tows very well with it's large diesel - not sure on MPG though.

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

hello again.

i am hopefully going to take the caravan abroad.

i have a abbey spectrum 520 i normally use a range rover with the 2. 5 bmw motor in it.

but as it is only having 5 seats and there is going to be 7 of us i was thinking of borrowing a friends discovery with just the 4 pot motor.

but my friend has never towed a van with it so he does not know how it responds to one.

as i have a large caravan i wondered if anyone out there has towed a big van with one of these dicoverys and what are they like in fuel consumption with the van on as i have a fair few hundred miles to cover and didnot want to be having to fill up every five mins.

so if anyone has any info on this it would be much apprecaited.

many thanks.

HI, I have a 2003 td5 7str auto, We took our 'van to Aviemore in the cairngorns at christmas and although I can't recall the exact mileage, we had about 1/4 of a tank left when we stopped to refil, near kirkintilloch, which is just outside Glasgow. so that's about 290 miles on 3/4.

Hope that helps. :unsure:

LANDY DISCO TD5(2003)

ADRIA ADORA 532 UK(2005)

We used a Tdi300 Discovery to tow our Charisma 620 T/A which has been up-plated to 1800Kg.

The Disco (Dico?) was 13 years old and had been with us for 10 years. We have just let it go and aquired an ML270 as a tug.

The Disco never let us down, would get to the top of anything but at its own speed. Perfectly stable outfit but with 150K on the clock the old girl was getting a bit tired. It would hit 60 where legal to do so but there was nothing "in reserve" to pull away from trouble hence the change.

Got 32/34 MPG single and 22/24 towing.

Never used it to tow in France but did use it for a few holidays over there. Oddly, we would get nearer 40 MPG on French diesel.

Cheers

Keith

HI, I have a 2003 td5 7str auto, We took our 'van to Aviemore in the cairngorns at christmas and although I can't recall the exact mileage, we had about 1/4 of a tank left when we stopped to refil, near kirkintilloch, which is just outside Glasgow. so that's about 290 miles on 3/4.

Hope that helps. :unsure:

hello amy&rob.

thanks for the info.

bye the way what size engine is in td5 and does that mean it is a 5 potter.

regards pete

We used a Tdi300 Discovery to tow our Charisma 620 T/A which has been up-plated to 1800Kg.

The Disco (Dico?) was 13 years old and had been with us for 10 years. We have just let it go and aquired an ML270 as a tug.

The Disco never let us down, would get to the top of anything but at its own speed. Perfectly stable outfit but with 150K on the clock the old girl was getting a bit tired. It would hit 60 where legal to do so but there was nothing "in reserve" to pull away from trouble hence the change.

Got 32/34 MPG single and 22/24 towing.

Never used it to tow in France but did use it for a few holidays over there. Oddly, we would get nearer 40 MPG on French diesel.

Cheers

Keith

hello keith.

thats just what i neded to know, an old mate of mine used to have one of these disco's many years back and he told me his was not that much good on fuel he said he got 30 on the run but it was not alot of use around town but then i dont suspose many are but his was an auto and i have never driven one of these discoverys but your sounds fine i have to cover about 380 miles either way as i am heading for germany via harwich to the hook. like i say i would of prefered the ranerover but with 6 people going i think i i hide one in the back i might just end up being done what is the penulty for this anyway is it 3 points.

anyway the abbey is going to be on its maximin of 1650kg so if it will get 24 MPHi will be happy at that. the rangie does no better.

ok keith many thanks for that now i have an idear

hello amy&rob.

thanks for the info.

bye the way what size engine is in td5 and does that mean it is a 5 potter.

regards pete

Correct. 5 cylinder BMW engine 2. 5 Litre. The 4 cylinder is 2L and the 6 is 3L.

Correct. 5 cylinder BMW engine 2. 5 Litre. The 4 cylinder is 2L and the 6 is 3L.

The TD5 Disco is a 5 Potter as you say but nothing to do with BMW. The BMW engine was fitted in the Rangrover TD6.

Towed with a TD5 but was remapped and would sit at 60mph all day towing and getting around 24mpg. Towed from Calais to Geneva last year apart from stopping for breaks never came out of top gear until near Bourge en Bresse.

Edited by ad210358