One To One Meets

Legsmaniac

A few fellow caravanners were chatting tonight and a discussion came up about how caravanners aren't as communicative as they used to be, with caravanners shutting themselves in their caravans by 7pm (or earlier) watching their TV.

It then went on to how some members are not keen on organised group meets yet are more keen on One-to-One meets and I would certainly place myself in this latter category. This gave me an idea. Wouldn't it be great if we could have a forum (or thread) where we could post to arrange possible One-to-One meets with various members throughout the country all year round. What I mean is, either members could join you on the same site on the same dates, or they could just happen to be going to the same site on the same dates, or perhaps they live nearby and could pop in and say hello.

The question is - how could we go about this? The problem is - not everyone is keen on publicising where they're going and/or when they're going. One obvious and understandable reason could be they don't wish to publicly advertise that their house is going to be empty.

One suggestion could be we post where we're going or have booked, but not when. It could then be up to other members to Private Message those members for more details.

Further suggestions, thoughts and discussion welcome.

Carry On Camping!

Legsmaniac's World -my own personal web space with campsite reviews - http://www. legsmaniac. org. uk

Hi,

Anything which allows forum members to meet up gets my vote. I used to post where I was going, and have met quite a few members, but I became aware that if everybody did what I was doing then the Forum could become weighed down with this sort of info so I now only do it within topics. So a dedicared section would be good, but don't we already have the Let's meet up section?

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

. ............ but don't we already have the Let's meet up section?

Regards,

Ian.

Yes we do. Its called "Get Together"

Brian

Hi,

Yes, I realise there already is a forum called "Get Together" but a quick look through it shows me several posts from members saying they're going away "soon" and not always where or when. There's even posts requesting company yet very few replies. :(

So really, the point of my post is to try and find out whether or not members are interested in meeting other forum members on a one-to-one rather than rally type meets and how many of you feel wary of the potential security issues of sharing locations and dates which makes arranging such meets a problem.

Cheers.

Gary

Carry On Camping!

Legsmaniac's World -my own personal web space with campsite reviews - http://www. legsmaniac. org. uk

Hi,

Yes, I realise there already is a forum called "Get Together" but a quick look through it shows me several posts from members saying they're going away "soon" and not always where or when. There's even posts requesting company yet very few replies. :(

So really, the point of my post is to try and find out whether or not members are interested in meeting other forum members on a one-to-one rather than rally type meets and how many of you feel wary of the potential security issues of sharing locations and dates which makes arranging such meets a problem.

Cheers.

Gary

Hi Gary,

I would be interested and have no problem posting dates when we're away so long as it was a restricted section which is not open to none members,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Hi Gary,

I would be interested and have no problem posting dates when we're away so long as it was a restricted section which is not open to none members,

Regards,

Ian.

I agree with Ian it would be good to meet other folk of like minded interests

Alan J

Bailey Pageant S6 Bordeaux Tow Car BMW X5 3. 0D

I will start then

April 3rd ~ 5th York caravan park.

6th ~ 9th Poolsbrook C C

10th ~ 16th Gaer Hyfryd C C (AS)

May 1st ~ 3rd Troutbeck C C

July 26th ~ 1st Aug Jablines France

Aug 2nd ~ 10th Reine Mathilde France.

11th ~ 15th La Bien assise

Edited by Guest

The "Get Together" forum is like that already. "Guests" and ordinary "Members" cannot view this forum, only "Approved Members" who are logged on.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Guest iancjc
The "Get Together" forum is like that already. "Guests" and ordinary "Members" cannot view this forum, only "Approved Members" who are logged on.

Gordon.

trouble is approved members could still be be after your loot. ....

Not sure what the problem is with posting where and when you're going - unless you post something like:

on 24th March 2009 we'll be leaving no. 9 xxxxx street in xxxx town and staying on xx site.

if you list the site and not your home address I can't see any security issues.

Great idea guys,

Lets do it.

We are going away in an hour or so.

Oxen Hall Shrewsbury

Sorry for the late post, I have only just found this thread, and it was a last minute decision to take the new van out for its first outing.

BMW X5 3. 0sd m sport twin turbo. Fleetwood Heritage ES6 (2009) Best car ever owned subaru impreza wr1

. ..........and we're at Knaresborough CC site. I hope no nasty people see my name and location and find my address, but there again I do hope they do 'cos if they get into our house they've got a shock waiting for them :lol:,

Regards,

Ian.

Edited by ian dunning

. ..........and we're at Knaresborough CC site. I hope no nasty people see my name and location and find my address, but there again I do hope they do 'cos if they get into our house they've got a shock waiting for them :lol:,

Regards,

Ian.

Hi Ian

Been meaning to try that site for ages, have a great weekend.

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

Hi Ian

Been meaning to try that site for ages, have a great weekend.

Phil.

Hi Phil,

It's a good site but you need to be away from the side near the lane to the farm because there's an industrial genny in use for a lot of the day otherwise it's one of our favourites,

Regards,

Ian.

If this is not a swingers or throw your car keys in thread ( hey you gotta ask these days ) I would love to meet with anyone one or two or more hahaha. Can not say where we are going next week as waiting for Mr carrots gas leek sorting out and then hopefully getting a cancellation. Pulled a wild card the month after and going to Cawood. June its just me and the hubby, maybe best to meet up here then because after a hour with out the kids we wont have anything to talk about lol. And May Cayton bay, found old rellies on FB and meeting after 30years apart.

Quick lets all go and pinch Ian's washing :lol::lol: Ian did you get my list on the Knaresborough post. ..also have a great time x

Well, not quite the replies I expected but getting there. I posted the same question on my own forum even though we, too, have a "Meets" forum. Amazingly enough, it showed members were not as worried about posting their planned destinations as I first thought. The similar discussion is here. ..

http://www. carryoncamping. org/viewtopic. php?t=4640

As it happened, it was requested I set up a form of calendar for member ventures which can be seen here. ...

http://www. carryoncamping. org/bookings. php

From this, you can see "at-a-glance" where members will be and if they can be joined for a quick "hello"

if you list the site and not your home address I can't see any security issues.

Fair point but as a recent Watchdog survey discovered, ANY information on forums such as this can be collated and put together to make up a whole picture - eventually.

Carry On Camping!

Bit late. We are here at Delamere C & C Club site (Cheshire) until Tuesday. Nice site, great weather. Thought we might be here longer than planned when the nearside PowrTouch mover head stuck on the wheel. Thanks to the service support line we've got it wound off now, and a spare part and a man with a spanner on his way.

Roy & Rita

Bailey Unicorn Barcelona 1 with Power Touch 4 wheel mover (February 2012) - Mercedes E320 CDI Avantgarde Auto V6 Estate

If this is not a swingers or throw your car keys in thread ( hey you gotta ask these days ) I would love to meet with anyone one or two or more hahaha. Can not say where we are going next week as waiting for Mr carrots gas leek sorting out and then hopefully getting a cancellation. Pulled a wild card the month after and going to Cawood. June its just me and the hubby, maybe best to meet up here then because after a hour with out the kids we wont have anything to talk about lol. And May Cayton bay, found old rellies on FB and meeting after 30years apart.

Quick lets all go and pinch Ian's washing :lol::lol: Ian did you get my list on the Knaresborough post. ..also have a great time x

Hi Chrissie,

I've had a look at your list and answered the points.

Yoy'd have a job pinching our washing as we don't bother when we're away we just bring plenty of clothes :D,

Regards,

Ian.

When hubby was alive I loved meet ups but now I am on my own I feel out of place because often I am the only one not with a partner. Then there are the women who think you are after their hubby, no thanks, I am enjoying my freedom, waited on a man for nearly 40 years, don't want to take another on. :lol: Then there is the men who think a woman on her own needs company, I have company, 6 dogs. ;)

I love meeting people, old friends and new, but now I am very wary of were I go and who I meet.

As for my house, everything I treasure is in the caravan with me, I am well insured, my house is as secure as I can make it, if anyone thinks there is something I have that they want, help yourself, what you take isn't worth very much. :lol:

I like your positive attitude.

You can only make anything reasonably secure.

If they target you and they want it - they'll take it.

Best not get in the way.