New Notebook In Aldis

Scales

Hi

Aldis have a 10 inch notebook on sale tomorrow - see http://www. aldi. co. uk/uk/html/offers/58_9001. htm

I'm thinking it might be useful for me to use when away in the caravan for e-mails, forums and visiting various websites to keep up with the news. i wouldn't use it for gaming etc.

Am I right to assume it'll do all the same things as a laptop?

Is it practical with such a small screen and I assume smaller keyboard for me with big thick fingers and blunted nails or would I be better getting a proper laptop?

All comments welcome

Scales

It is all about budget and to a large degree what you are going to use it for.

I personally would be looking to pay a little more and get as a minimum a larger display 14. 5 or 15inch.

and a Dual Core Processor. The rest of the spec is good.

As an example on a quick search look at PC World Advent 5611 Laptop at £329. 99.(15. 4 inch screen)

PC world are not the cheapest and I am sure you could find even better spec for the same or less money

if you seach around the internet.

Roy & Rita

Bailey Unicorn Barcelona 1 with Power Touch 4 wheel mover (February 2012) - Mercedes E320 CDI Avantgarde Auto V6 Estate

Guest iancjc

this isn't a notebook it's a netbook - so no cd rom.

So no good for playing dvds when in the van but you can use another pc's dvd to install software very easily - or rip the dvd onto the hard disc :unsure:

I've got an early asus net book and find it's excellent for email and surfing the net when out - and small and cheap enough to carry in a backpack and not worry it it get broken.

Hi - I looked at these as I could do with a smaller touring portable. The spec looks quite good but decided that if I was going to go for a Netbook it would be one of these from Amazon -

Samsung NC10 10. 2-inch Netbook - Atom N270 1. 6GHz, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD, Windows XP Home - it has a good size keyboard for a Netbook.

I have a laptop with 17" screen and all the works - but it is too big really. The NC10 Netbook has an optional extra of external DVD which would make it really useful for loading applications etc from CD's.

Alan J

Bailey Pageant S6 Bordeaux Tow Car BMW X5 3. 0D

As i see it, a netbook is useful if you're travelling by train etc or with hand baggage and dont want to be hampered by the weight of a full laptop,

If you want to use something in the van, why worry about en extra kg or 2. Go for a full function laptop

Regards

NRF

Hi everyone, if you want some good spec laptops at good prices, try www. bigpockets. co. uk.

They are not all brand new but I now have two from them (1 each for my daughters) good spec and running XP (my choice as I am not happy with vista yet)

Regards

Teardrop

Just got a laptop fromPC World for £279 2. 16 gig with 512 mb ram. It is for my daughter, im using it now, its good for the money. I find the keyboard a bit alen compared tomy pc. It has a dvd rewriter.

Switching it off now.

Regards
Ian

Hi,

I would be wary about the small screen and small keyboard as, after all, if it's not comfortable to use then it does become a chore. Obviously size is a major factor, small equals potentially more difficult to use, large equals more weight,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Hi, Personally I find the screens and keyboards way too small on notebooks. Fat fingers and rubbish eyesight probably, and I am only 34. But Medion are superb. I have one of their laptops with 16" (wide screen) screen. They are excellent value for money. So you should'nt be dissapointed what ever you decide.

LANDY DISCO TD5(2003)

ADRIA ADORA 532 UK(2005)

Hi

Thanks for all the responses.

I'm going with the majority decision and forgoing this particular offer.

I'd noticed there is no DVD drive and thought I wouldn't miss it but when it's pointed out about loading software I realise it's almost a neccessity.

Thanks again

Scales