Flat Battery While In Storage

southcoastsounds

I am new to carvanning and have used my 2004 Abbey GTS217 Vogue 3 times without too many problems. However, I just went across to the storage site to pick it up and found that the leisure battery was completely flat. Its a new battery and the caravan had only been left for a couple of months. I've not had this problem before when leaving the caravan at the storage site for a month or so.

I've never been too sure about the various settings on the switch and fuses module and wonder if I left it in the wrong position (car, van, centre position)? There was definitely nothing electrical left on in the caravan such as lights, fridge or heater.

Can anyone give me a clue as to what I've done wrong please?

Thanks in anticipation.

Tom

www. southcoastsounds. org. uk

--------------------

Tom,

The selector switch should be in center position, while your vehicle is in storage, as this isolates the leisure battery. The power switch on the control panel (above the door) does not isolate the leisure battery; it simply energizes a relay, which switches off the van. However, this relay does draw power to remain energized, and therefore, will discharge your leisure battery over time. It should be used for short use only (i. e. leaving your vehicle for a few hours, while on site).

I would guess that you have left the selector switch on the "caravan position" and turned the control panel off (using the power switch) which has caused the drain.

I hope that helps to explain the system a little better.

Ash

Swift Group Website: www. swiftgroup. co. uk

Swift Group Handbooks: www. swiftgroup. co. uk/caravans/handbooks

Tom,

The selector switch should be in center position, while your vehicle is in storage, as this isolates the leisure battery. The power switch on the control panel (above the door) does not isolate the leisure battery; it simply energizes a relay, which switches off the van. However, this relay does draw power to remain energized, and therefore, will discharge your leisure battery over time. It should be used for short use only (i. e. leaving your vehicle for a few hours, while on site).

I would guess that you have left the selector switch on the "caravan position" and turned the control panel off (using the power switch) which has caused the drain.

I hope that helps to explain the system a little better.

Ash

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Good Answer ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :D

Mine has gone flat a few times, because something has been left on, the favourite one being the ariel boooooooooooooooooster. But of course it's never my fault. :ph34r:

Regards

SuperMike

together with

Management and Lady Faith Finesse, who is a Black & Tan Cavalier KCS - Gorgeous Girl, and my wife is as well.

Sedona 2. 9TDi - Swift Conqueror 645 LUX

CAVALIERS ARE LIKE SUNSHINE, THEY BRIGHTEN UP YOUR DAY.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Good Answer ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :D

Mine has gone flat a few times, because something has been left on, the favourite one being the ariel boooooooooooooooooster. But of course it's never my fault. :ph34r:

Been there done that. ... my other favourite used to be leaving PowrTouch Mover isolation switch key IN!

That killed my battery one winter lay up!!

G.

Been there done that. ... my other favourite used to be leaving PowrTouch Mover isolation switch key IN!

G.

Oops, I do that all the time - I've never taken it out. Thanks for the tip

I have to say, modern caravans are very complicated! I'm slowly writing my own manual based on a list of mistakes which grows longer every time I use the thing.

Tom

www. southcoastsounds. org. uk

--------------------

Oops, I do that all the time - I've never taken it out. Thanks for the tip

I have to say, modern caravans are very complicated! I'm slowly writing my own manual based on a list of mistakes which grows longer every time I use the thing.

Tom

Tom, You can leave the key in as long as it's not in the ON position!

These days I take mine out so I don't have to think about whether it's On or OFF!

G.

Tom, You can leave the key in as long as it's not in the ON position!

These days I take mine out so I don't have to think about whether it's On or OFF!

G.

I was advised to take the key out as leaving the key in, even tho' in the off position, energises a relay. I have noticed that as I take the key out there is a 'click' so can only assume that that is the relay de-energising !!

Gerry

2005 Kia Sorento 2. 5 Auto towing 2011 Conqueror 645

I was advised to take the key out as leaving the key in, even tho' in the off position, energises a relay. I have noticed that as I take the key out there is a 'click' so can only assume that that is the relay de-energising !!

Gerry

Thanks Gerry. .. i stand corrected. . just glad I "voluntarily" chose to remove the key!! G.

Not sure if you have an alarm fitted but I had a problem with my battery going flat within 2 weeks of being fully charged. It turned out that the back up battery for the alarm system was defective and was somehow drawing current from the main van battery

Kind regards

NRF

Guest Tephi

G.

I have my Powrtouch key on the key ring with the other caravan keys - that way it's impossible to leave it switched on for long.

Gerry

If Powrtouch are using the usual switch it operates by the "key" engaging a helical track and forcing the contacts closed. With the key in the off position the contacts are open and cannot energise anything. Easy to check, put a multimeter across the contacts with the key off.