Caravan Dealer Busy.

Guest Surfer

Guest Surfer

I think the main issue is going to be availablity of pitches in school holidays. I have already seen some site owners hike up their prices a fair bit, for example last year on a site not far from us it was £12 per night inclusive.

This year it is £16 per unit per night and that is for 2 people. Addtional people are extra. Next they added in a charge of £2 for the awning per night and then £1 per dog per night. I still wonder why one needs to pay £1 or more for a dog especially if the site does not supply bins in which to deposit the dog poo or £2 for an awning per night. This is not on their website and you only find this out if you ask. They do not volunteer the information. Have you come across this?

If you arrive at this site with 2 dogs and want to put up the awning for the weekend you have to fork out an additional unexpected £8 and then extra if you have kids with you. If on a tight budget thsi may actually ruin your stay away. Perhaps if the site was similar to a CC site probably no issue, but the site in question and others like it need to go a long way before it reaches a similar standard.

I fear that a lot of us are going to be ripped off by some site owners over the next year or two. It is all very well to say let your feet do the walking, but piches are going to be scarce. Luckily for us we can have our holidays in the mid to off peak periods like May/June or Sept/Oct and another reason why we choose CLs. Perhaps it shoudl be mentioned on a forum where site prices have increased over and above the inflation rate and also added in extras that were not there before.

Hi Surfer,

I won't use these rip off merchants. I understand that some site owners ask you to pay for what you use so long as they are up front about it and the extras don't take the price beyond similar sites I would say fair enough. Unfortunately this particular site doesn't seem to be very upfront about its charges,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Site pricing, like most things, is all about supply and demand - it looks like 2009 will have a shortage of UK pitches because some caravanners will tour the UK instead of Europe, as a reaction to the world recession - there is always a problem for Fri/Sat nights in school holidays and things will get worse before they get better, so inevitably site charges will rise to take advantage of the "boom" in demand.

If sites are imposing charges which weren't previously disclosed, the matter needs taking to Trading Standards.

Site pricing, like most things, is all about supply and demand - it looks like 2009 will have a shortage of UK pitches because some caravanners will tour the UK instead of Europe, as a reaction to the world recession - there is always a problem for Fri/Sat nights in school holidays and things will get worse before they get better, so inevitably site charges will rise to take advantage of the "boom" in demand.

If sites are imposing charges which weren't previously disclosed, the matter needs taking to Trading Standards.

Hi,

I have been asked three times for advice by people who want to start caravanning, two of which find holidaying abroad too expensive. I had to give the bad news that it's not going to be cheap to set themselves up, though one couple have bought an older 'van. So it's not only stay at home caravanners who will be swelling the numbers,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

the good thing about booking with the Caravan Club - overseas -- you are still getting €1. 30 to the £ --

so I have paid for most of my holiday and ferry at last years prices. ..

Maurice

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

For various reasons, we decided to book a seasonal pitch only about an hour from home for this year. Looks like we might have done the right thing, as I have to have school holidays, so apart from going to N Ireland for 2 weeks in August (thanks to Tesco for the ferry!) we will be holidaying near to home most weekends this year.

2003 Autotrail 635SE Mercedes Sprinter, 2011 Hyundai i10

'Life is too short to stuff a mushroom.'

I'm fortunate that I can take my holidays outside the school holidays when it is quieter, I think it is time we told some of these rip off merchants where to go.

I really am sick of the attitude of 'lets take people for all we can get' good old 'rip off Britain'. :angry: I urge everyone on here to let us know where these thieves are and we can stay away from them.

Jeff

Hi,

I don't think there's anything wrong with charging more for busy periods really after all the site owners would have us believe that they don't increase prices in busy periods they merely reduce their prices in quieter periods :D . I'm getting good at putting spin on things.

I think that sites that overcharge at anytime should be the ones to suffer any boycotting,

Regards,

Ian.

What's overcharging? In reality, the "market" decides at which price point caravanners stop using a particular site - if a site is still full, despite high prices then an economist/businessman would say the prices aren't high enough!

From a personal point of view, I don't pay high commercial site prices or high CC club site prices UNLESS the site is in a place that I really want to visit and there's no cheaper alternative - I'll pay for a location, others won't - but equally others will pay for site facilities, I won't.

There are sites that we used to visit when our lad was 5-15 - those sites are now £30-40 per night - if they've maintained their standards, I'll have no qualms about going back with any future grandchildren - even though we typically pay £8 for CLs generally.

It's only my personal opinion but I would say overcharging is charging more than similar sites in the area. Some people don't care and will use the overpriced sites and that's fair enough but we won't. We were regular visitors to two sites which put up their proces by over 30% in one go and we've not been back. It would be fair enough if both had had improvements put in place but neither did. We were chatting to some people who had recently visited one of the sites and they said it was virtually empty so it's obvious that the market won't stand their level of pricing,

Regards,

Ian.

Reading that caravanning and camping is the new black I also assume that spaces will be at a premium, last year we had no problems booking weeks away but this year we have been unable to use our chosen CCC site this week because it is fully booked on Saturday - and it's not even Easter yet!

Having said that, if you look around you can find fab sites at good prices so I prefer to take my business to them. Some want all singing all dancing sites, and good luck to them, I prefer a quiet, natural site at low cost.

Paying extra for dogs does annoy me though as I have 2, they don't use any more space, rarely use a dog walk and almost never are there bins! So what are they getting for their 'hairy pound'??!

I aim to try more CLs this year, some even have swimming pools and sea views! So not exactly roughing it.

If I get a new caravan that is, or can fix my own.

It's only my personal opinion but I would say overcharging is charging more than similar sites in the area. Some people don't care and will use the overpriced sites and that's fair enough but we won't. We were regular visitors to two sites which put up their proces by over 30% in one go and we've not been back. It would be fair enough if both had had improvements put in place but neither did. We were chatting to some people who had recently visited one of the sites and they said it was virtually empty so it's obvious that the market won't stand their level of pricing,

Regards,

Ian.

Hi Ian - thats capitalism at work ;) still, I reckon that if I owned a campsite, and read about all the people either buying vans or staying in the UK, I would put my prices up. everyone has a right to make a living and customers have the right not to buy. Lecture over :D

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

Hi Ian - thats capitalism at work ;) still, I reckon that if I owned a campsite, and read about all the people either buying vans or staying in the UK, I would put my prices up. everyone has a right to make a living and customers have the right not to buy. Lecture over :D

Hi Ivan,

It is true that busineses have a right to make a living, if they didn't we would soon scream about the lack of choice, but I will always walk away from the shysters who overcharge therefore exercising my right not to buy! That is choice at work :D,

Regards,

Ian.

Edited by ian dunning

Let's look at things logically:

Cost of gas & electricity has risen by 30% cost of everything else involved in maintaining property has risen. Salaries for empolyees has risen along with inflation and the government (local and national) has imposed a load of extra paperwork and taxes on small business (landfill etc). Are owners of small businesses expected to take this on the chin to keep the moaners happy?

I get heartily fed up at skinflints complaining about how much everything costs in the UK and how terrible everything is. I can assure you that we are doing fine, our Country is one of the best places in the world to live in. True it is not perfect, however we still have a better economy than many, we live in an extremely tolerant and welcoming society that is, above all, safe.

If you don't want to spend an extra, paltry, £8 per night then go elsewhere or go nowhere but don't moan at how hard done by you are. Do your research, ask the questions and make your choice. If you are not prepared to pay a reasonable amount for good standards (and this rant presupposes that you are happy with the quality, just not the price) then how the hell do you expect any site to be maintained or improved over the years. In 2 or 3 years caravanning will be back to being as comical as before and you can be happy again.

Guest John KS
I'm fortunate that I can take my holidays outside the school holidays when it is quieter, I think it is time we told some of these rip off merchants where to go.

I really am sick of the attitude of 'lets take people for all we can get' good old 'rip off Britain'. :angry: I urge everyone on here to let us know where these thieves are and we can stay away from them.

Jeff

Its called supply and demand. Of course prices go up when there is a greater demand. :P It is not just in Britain where it happens. Just the same on the Continent. If I had a product that was in short supply I would charge more.

If you consider that the prices charged for sites in the summer is the norm then the prices charged out of season are discounted to help fill the pitches.

Let's look at things logically:

Cost of gas & electricity has risen by 30% cost of everything else involved in maintaining property has risen. Salaries for empolyees has risen along with inflation and the government (local and national) has imposed a load of extra paperwork and taxes on small business (landfill etc). Are owners of small businesses expected to take this on the chin to keep the moaners happy?

I get heartily fed up at skinflints complaining about how much everything costs in the UK and how terrible everything is. I can assure you that we are doing fine, our Country is one of the best places in the world to live in. True it is not perfect, however we still have a better economy than many, we live in an extremely tolerant and welcoming society that is, above all, safe.

If you don't want to spend an extra, paltry, £8 per night then go elsewhere or go nowhere but don't moan at how hard done by you are. Do your research, ask the questions and make your choice. If you are not prepared to pay a reasonable amount for good standards (and this rant presupposes that you are happy with the quality, just not the price) then how the hell do you expect any site to be maintained or improved over the years. In 2 or 3 years caravanning will be back to being as comical as before and you can be happy again.

Hi,

I do my research and I do go elsewhere if there is a comparable site which is substantially cheaper. I certainly wasn't moaning about being hard done by because I'm not at all. What I was saying was that I exercise my right not to buy the service provided at any particular site and as I said that is choice at work. I do pay a reasonable price for good standards as we mainly use CC sites.

As for this Country I have an odd whinge, as we all do, but I'm very proud of this Country and there's very few places I'd rather be than here. You're talking to a man here who was sat by the pool in Florida and looking foreward to going to the Dales when we got back :D,

Regards,

Ian.

Guest Surfer
Cost of gas & electricity has risen by 30% Suppliers have increased it by 30%, the wholesale market has not increased by 30%. As a matter of fact there has been a sharp drop in the wholesale price, but this has not been passed on to the consumer.

however we still have a better economy than many, we live in an extremely tolerant and welcoming society that is, above all, safe. Totally wrong. The economy is shot to hell, we are becoming intolerant because certain ethnic or religious groups have taken advantage of our good nature and violent crime has risen.

Partly agree with the above, but some site owners are now taking advantage and over and above the cost of the pitch are hitting you with a charge on every conceivable extra including electric. If we did see improvements for the extra we spend no issue, but why do sites charge you extra to put up an awning on a hardstanding? Why do some sites charge you extra for a dog and then don't supply doggy bins?

Guest John KS

I suppose forums do attract the moaners. Cups are always half empty rather than half full.

Every country has its problems but I would rather live here. Look at the situation some of those who have moved to France and Spain find themselves in.

I wish the wingers and moaners would leave and then we would all have more room.

If you don't like the charges on sites then don't use them and stop moaning!

Is a charge for extras, like awning, dogs, extra car, extra people, really an extra charge or do they simply offer a cheaper discounted pitch fee for those who don't need all these facilities.

In some cases, the high extra charges are intended to dissuade people from bring these "items".

Site owners invite visitors to stay on their property, on their terms - but, as ever, the customer is king - if you don't like a charging arrangement go somewhere else - if a site changes it's pricing policy, perhaps they're trying to change the sort of customer they want, respect that it is their property and their business.

Over 20+ years caravanning I have noticed that sites charging the highest fees do have the most polite and respectful other customers.

Guest John KS
Over 20+ years caravanning I have noticed that sites charging the highest fees do have the most polite and respectful other customers.

Oh How true!!!!!

Guest Surfer

That is the main problem with the British. We don't complain so the prices keep going up. We don't complain so we get landed with shoddy goods. The list is endless! Why do you think we have an opposition party or a Lords Chamber? So they can complain on our behalf. :D

Guest Surfer

Probably because every one is walking around stunned at the high charges! :D Are you saying that because we use cheaper sites we are impolite and disrespectful? I take offence to that statement!

Guest John KS
That is the main problem with the British. We don't complain so the prices keep going up. We don't complain so we get landed with shoddy goods. The list is endless! Why do you think we have an opposition party or a Lords Chamber? So they can complain on our behalf. :D

I have a feeling that with people like you around perhaps we don't need either of the above. I will complain when I feel it is the right method. Having spent most of my life dealing with the public I know that the British can be quite objectionable and I never would put up with it.