Solar Panels

Quack

Having never yet been on a CC Centre Rally I thought I might give it a go this year. Must admit I am a bit worried about not having EHU and wondered if solar panels to charge the battery are any good. If they are - what size and type are best.

I rallied for over 28 years before I bought a solar panel and, even then, it was only because of increased TV usage so you don't have to buy one to go away without EHU. If you do buy then you will need a minimum of 40w but, more useful, if you opt for 55w. Buying a new portable set up will probably mean 55w anyway. Most people around here use Detroit Solar units. I use a built on 85w panel and just don't have any worries about a flat batery no matter how long I am off the mains electrics although having LED lights helps.

Edited by colonel

A Fiat Doblo camper and a Lunar Ariva 2019
grace my drive.

I have got a 55W solar panel from Detroit Solar and it's a first class unit. We rallied for years without a solar panel and in the Summer we only bother to take it if we are away for more than 4 days.

Bill

Edited by bigbilly

I was going to buy one, but sticking to my spare 110 amp battery, cheaper.

Been away for 5 days and have not had to use it, thats with the TV and DVD player on (12 volt).

Still had enough power left to use the mover when we got home.

B)-->

QUOTE(Lee. B @ Mar 3 2009, 10:17 PM) 235629[/snapback]
I was going to buy one, but sticking to my spare 110 amp battery, cheaper.

Been away for 5 days and have not had to use it, thats with the TV and DVD player on (12 volt).

Still had enough power left to use the mover when we got home.

Quite agree.

For many years I carried a spare 110 amh battery in a proper plastic battery box and wired it to a 12S socket.

When needed it could be plugged into the van and the caravan switch changed from 'caravan' to 'car'.

As you say a much cheaper option.

Bill

I rallied for over 28 years before I bought a solar panel and, even then, it was only because of increased TV usage so you don't have to buy one to go away without EHU. If you do buy then you will need a minimum of 40w but, more useful, if you opt for 55w. Buying a new portable set up will probably mean 55w anyway. Most people around here use Detroit Solar units. I use a built on 85w panel and just don't have any worries about a flat batery no matter how long I am off the mains electrics although having LED lights helps.

I assume that your 85W panel is fixed on the roof ?

I know this is a very popular modification done by Detroit Solar and we thought long and hard about it. Was nervous however of nullifying the water ingress warranty. I assume that they work first class and also assume that you can turn them off when you 'service' the battery. Is there any problem if you go on EHU ?

Bill

I assume that your 85W panel is fixed on the roof ?

I know this is a very popular modification done by Detroit Solar and we thought long and hard about it. Was nervous however of nullifying the water ingress warranty. I assume that they work first class and also assume that you can turn them off when you 'service' the battery. Is there any problem if you go on EHU ?

Bill

Yes it is on the roof, just behind the Heki light. No problem at all on on EHU - the solar charger just goes onto "float" because the battery is at voltage. When servicing the battery you just remove the fuse at the battery connection and the fuse at the solar control unit. There is no likelyhood of any water ingress from the installation of these units, in fact the proprietor of Detroit Solar was a bit "iffy" when I asked, quoting x amount of years fitting them without any leak claims at all.

A Fiat Doblo camper and a Lunar Ariva 2019
grace my drive.

We've been without EHU for a week, no problem. I take a spare battery, just in case!

I think its been said. ..£500 (solar panel) v £50 (battery) why spend 10 times more than what you need to?

Swift Challenger 490

Sorento + Fabia to help the Sorento up hills!

We've been without EHU for a week, no problem. I take a spare battery, just in case!

I think its been said. ..£500 (solar panel) v £50 (battery) why spend 10 times more than what you need to?

how much!

About 5 years ago I upgraded my solar setup, cutting out the need to drive around charging my spare battery.

I bought a 50 watt panel at £200 & a regulator for about £35 & we've had some priceless holidays :)

I can stay with out hookup indefinitely B)

the panel has a 20 year output guarantee too

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

how much!

About 5 years ago I upgraded my solar setup, cutting out the need to drive around charging my spare battery.

I bought a 50 watt panel at £200 & a regulator for about £35 & we've had some priceless holidays :)

I can stay with out hookup indefinitely B)

the panel has a 20 year output guarantee too

I DO stay with out hook up indefinately too, all year round.

And all i use s a £20 power pack, a £10 75 watt inverter and plug my charger into them.

In Consilio Sapienta

tn_gallery_1122_263_6791.jpg

• 1 month later...
I DO stay with out hook up indefinately too, all year round.

And all i use s a £20 power pack, a £10 75 watt inverter and plug my charger into them.

<_< Hi Brassneck,

Please can you tell me what these are and how they work. Thanks.

Marjohn

<_< Hi Brassneck,

Please can you tell me what these are and how they work. Thanks.

Marjohn

Yup, no problem.

I have one of these:

CLICK THIS

And i plug this >>> CLICK THIS <<<< and then plug my van into the inverter. The power pack gives a good 4-5 hours continuous charge via the battery charger and then can be recharged via the ciggy socket in the car or if i have access to a mains plug via that for a couple of hours. I can charge the battery 5 hours at a time overnight if needed.

Works, cheap, can be done at anytime of day or night. Just need to make a lead up or as ive done, i use a seperate battery charger anyway.

In Consilio Sapienta

Just to add, ive done the solar panels. .........generators. ...............and they all have drawbacks.

So does my current method. But its cost me less than 30 quid, charges up far better than either a solar panel or a genny, and it can be done time after time after time without costing a penny.

My charger puts in 3. 4 amps, so i can do this for a good 5 hours at a time every night if needed.

In Consilio Sapienta

Just to add my bit!

I put a 85watt panel on the roof of my van a couple of years ago.

Before that I also used the battery pack method, spare battery in the back of the car, free standing panel, in fact most things apart from a gennie.

For me this works, nothing to worry about, no wires or batterries to move arround etc.

Plenty of power for rallies etc.

Only downside, not the cheapest option.

Tim