Forced To Sell Your Old Car?

Guest Surfer

Guest Surfer

Apparently an idea has been mooted that people with cars over 9 years of age may be offered a lump sum of approximatley £2500 to trade in against a newer model car with lower emmissions. In other words after 9 years you may need to sell on your vehicle. I think they have something similar to this in Germany, Japan and some other countries.

For a start I have a 1997 4 x 4 and a deposit of £2500 will not buy me a vehicle as reliable as this without getting involved in HP etc. It is to be hoped that something like this will help stimulate the economy as people buy newer cars.

Do you think that something like this will be a good idea? I think it may take up to a third of the old cars off the road and many of these cars have lots of life in them and are more reliable than some modern cars.

Edited by Surfer

Most of the support for these sorts of schemes is intended to make them voluntary - which it needs to be to keep classic cars on the road.

I think it's a hair-brained scheme - owners of 9+ year old cars generally can't afford to buy brand new cars, even with £2500 off.

The planet has already incurred the environmental damage extracting materials for the original build - this scheme just doubles the damage as new material needs to be extracted and processed causing double the impact.

Guest Surfer

Agree with you it is hare brained. Perhaps the idea is to recycle the old cars? Maybe a good time to buy up a load of old cars and use the voluntary system? LoL. :D

Hi,

Not suprisingly this scheme has been proposed by the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) and I can see the benefits of taking older cars of the roads for more modern less polluting versions. It would only be voluntary and would mean an older car being taken off the road in exchange for a car of a maximum of one year old and this would be subsidised to the tune of £2500. I really don't see the problem in this as it will stimulate the market and, if like me, if you were to buy your daughter/son a new car after they have been driving an old car while honing their driving skills for a couple of years in an older car then then we win :D .

I just can't help but think that taking a perfectly immaculate 9 year old car, of 30000 miles vintage, off the road is a waste,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

My eight year old only has 30k on the clock. Why would I want to change it?

A Fiat Doblo camper and a Lunar Ariva 2019
grace my drive.

My eight year old only has 30k on the clock. Why would I want to change it?

Well, to save the planet of course!!

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

Just changed the 13 year old Discovery for a 7 year old ML.

Will not be changing my 12 year old Transit or my 43 Year old Series II Landrover!

If you take the view that a vehicle takes more energy to produce than it will consume in it's lifetime,

the greener answer must be to run older vehicles and not keep replacing them.

Cheers

Keith

This is a typical headline grabbing piece of misinformation!

There is NO COMPULSION involved and in Germany where it was recently introduced it is working extremely well.

If you want to change your car and it is over a certain age you get a lump sum of £2500 (approx) toward a new car - not sure how this becomes hare brained, bad, dodgy or any thing else BUT just a good incentive to change to a lower emissions car.

Sorry but I see no problems with that - it is the choice of the seller!

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

don't think the scheme has anything to do with saving the planet - as said previously, is all about getting the industry moving again which, in these times, could be a good idea. providing, of course, its voluntary.

perhaps the next step will be to increase the road tax on older verhicles and reduce it on new ones, whatever the emissions are - any chance that happening??

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

Guest Surfer

There is NO COMPULSION involved and in Germany where it was recently introduced it is working extremely well.

If you want to change your car and it is over a certain age you get a lump sum of £2500 (approx) toward a new car - not sure how this becomes hare brained, bad, dodgy or any thing else BUT just a good incentive to change to a lower emissions car.

I made up the headline and it got your attention anyway! :D

I made up the headline and it got your attention anyway! :D

Unfortunately some people take these headlines as gospel and to 'make them up' is not in the least bit clever or funny it is just misinformation!

Guest Surfer
Unfortunately some people take these headlines as gospel and to 'make them up' is not in the least bit clever or funny it is just misinformation!

I doubt if any one on this or many other forums is that naive unless of course you think differently. Then I will bow down to your superior knowledge. :D

I doubt if any one on this or many other forums is that naive unless of course you think differently. Then I will bow down to your superior knowledge. :D

I do try to state my opinions without resorting to facetious remarks - with or without smiley faces.

Apparently an idea has been mooted that people with cars over 9 years of age will be offered a lump sum of approximatley £2500 to trade in against a newer model car with lower emmissions. In other words after 9 years you will need to sell on your vehicle. I think they have something similar to this in Germany, Japan and some other countries.

For a start I have a 1997 4 x 4 and a deposit of £2500 will not buy me a vehicle as reliable as this without getting involved in HP etc. It is to be hoped that something like this will help stimulate the economy.

Do you think that something like this will be a good idea? I think it will take up to a third of the old cars off the road and many of these cars have lots of life in them and are more reliable than some modern cars.

Hi Surfer

Sounds like a wind-up to me.

neil

Bailey S5 Pageant Auvergne & Vauxhall Signum CDTI

Volvo advertise the life span of a Volvo as 19 years ???

My last 850 had done 16 years and was as bright as a button . ..

My wifes 340 had done 12 years and got 233,000 on the clock and still going strong. .

Cant see the point. ..

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

Volvo advertise the life span of a Volvo as 19 years ???

My last 850 had done 16 years and was as bright as a button . ..

My wifes 340 had done 12 years and got 233,000 on the clock and still going strong. .

Cant see the point. ..

But that's an average - some will be less, some more - just like the overall average age in the UK is 14 years as it has been ever since WW2, the better rust proofing of modern cars being countered by a lack of demand for older cars as everyone wants the latest model.

If the motor industry had their way we'd all buy brand new cars and change them after three years, how silly is that - just because an accountant worked out in the 1950s that 3 years was the most cost-effective age to change a car - but in those days they needed complete engine rebuilds that often !

Yes and unfortunately Ted does not seem to get it. LOL

You see what I mean - you just can not make a posting without a personal attack - can you!

Well said Ted, it's totally optional so what harm can it do?

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Incidentally I have a 'vested interest' as I have a thirteen year old MGF which is still in perfect working condition HOWEVER a government offer of £2500 would be interesting as the poor old MG would only command about £2000 on the open market.

Edited by TedNewman

Guest Surfer
You see what I mean - you just can not make a posting without a personal attack - can you!

TBH I cannot see how you define the above as a personal attack. I think you are misconstruing the whole post. At no time have I made any personal attack on yourself as there was no reason for me to do so. You never insulted me so why should I insult you. As I appear to have upset you for whatever reason, can I ask the mods to close this post down to prevent any issues arising?