New Swift Challenger 570

ascsbe

Hi. I have already seen the Bailey California in the flesh but have not yet seen the Swift version as I did not go to the

NEC having travelled up to the show in November. The official website gives all the facts and figures but I do not appear to be able to find a 360 degree film of it anywhere so I can actually see one. The website has a few general pictures that covers the range of Challengers but nothing specific. Are there pictures out there somewhere that I am missing.

Thanks

Andrew

Andrew

I thought there was a general leaflet on the Swift Group website but they may now have incorporated into the Challenger section. We went to the NEC to specifically look at the Eccles Ruby (same as the Challenger 570) as we are very interested in that layout. The rear bathroom of the 570/Ruby is quite a bit bigger that the California which feels cramped in comparison. The 570/Ruby does have a front chest of drawers as standard. The sideboard in the 570/Ruby is smaller than the California. The 570/Ruby is longer and heavier than the California. Swift have also announced the same layout in the Charisma/Europa ranges which will be of similar weight and length to the California, from how it was explained to me at the show the end bathroom will not be as generous as the 570/Ruby but bigger than the Bailey. Will have to wait until I see one of these models before making that judgement.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Andrew

I thought there was a general leaflet on the Swift Group website but they may now have incorporated into the Challenger section. We went to the NEC to specifically look at the Eccles Ruby (same as the Challenger 570) as we are very interested in that layout. The rear bathroom of the 570/Ruby is quite a bit bigger that the California which feels cramped in comparison. The 570/Ruby does have a front chest of drawers as standard. The sideboard in the 570/Ruby is smaller than the California. The 570/Ruby is longer and heavier than the California. Swift have also announced the same layout in the Charisma/Europa ranges which will be of similar weight and length to the California, from how it was explained to me at the show the end bathroom will not be as generous as the 570/Ruby but bigger than the Bailey. Will have to wait until I see one of these models before making that judgement.

David

Thanks David for the info. I do think Swift lose the plot a bit on their website when it comes to pictures. The vans are not at dealers yet so you rely on the website for info. Bailey did a leaflet purely for the california and also a 360.

Thanks for that, but again it is not 570 specific.

Andrew

Andrew

I can find out when exactly when vans will be at dealers for you. Alternatively, If your around the Hull area and want to PM me I can show you the prototype sooner,

I will pass your comments on our website to our marketing team,

thanks

Andy

Swift Group Website: www. swiftgroup. co. uk

Swift Group Handbooks: www. swiftgroup. co. uk/caravans/handbooks

Andrew

I can find out when exactly when vans will be at dealers for you. Alternatively, If your around the Hull area and want to PM me I can show you the prototype sooner,

I will pass your comments on our website to our marketing team,

thanks

Andy

Thanks Andy.

I am on Swifts mailing list and get all the normal stuff. I live in Wimborne Dorset so a bit of a jouney to see one in Hull but thanks for the offer. In my opinion the 360 degree film would be worth investing in as it gives potential buyers a chance to look without making the sometimes quite long journey to a dealer. I have purchased most of my Swifts from Highbridge and even nthat is a day trip. Not retired yet so time is tight.

regards

Andrew

Thanks Andy.

I am on Swifts mailing list and get all the normal stuff. I live in Wimborne Dorset so a bit of a jouney to see one in Hull but thanks for the offer. In my opinion the 360 degree film would be worth investing in as it gives potential buyers a chance to look without making the sometimes quite long journey to a dealer. I have purchased most of my Swifts from Highbridge and even nthat is a day trip. Not retired yet so time is tight.

regards

Andrew

Hi Andrew - we have the Eccles Jewel, think it is the same layout at your 540, fixed bed with long sideboard opposite kitchen. We had a good look round the Eccles Ruby at the Scottish caravan show. Cracking van - in comparison to the Jewel the sideboard is much shorter and the fire is now at an angle to the front of the van. You loose the large cupboard at the side of the van storage wise. The microwave is now above the cooker and I found it much easier to reach although it is now a dial type one rather than digital. The space that the microwave takes up in the Jewel is not there. There is a very clever drop down arrangement for the television above the divider between bed and sideboard, the television slides down from a locker above this partition, obviously only suitable for a flat screen. Means the TV is completely out of sight when you are not using it. The cutlery draw is now on the fire side of the kitchen. The seating at the front is exactly the same as in the Jewel. The wardrobe has moved slightly into the bedroom area into the space that the hand basin took up and tapers slightly near the bed. Rear bathroom is very good, large fully lined shower - even my OH said he would use it, he hates the hassle of wiping down the Jewels shower. Plenty of room to get dried and changed, sink easy to access, toilet new slightly higher type. The windows do not have metal surrounds so no more wiping away condensation at the bed window in below freezing weather. Move mains sockets - double sockets in some areas (we changed our socket for the TV into a double socket in the Jewel). Carpet is much thicker and looks as if it will wear much better - however still only 2 pieces don't know why they don't split it at the bedroom divider - much easier to take out to clean etc. LED lighting is superb, the LED awning light not only looks good but works well. The extra door width is good too. Access to the fixed bed is much easier as the toilet wall has gone and there is only a very small wall at the top of the bed.

However - no exterior gas outlet, radio is now in one of the front lockers, no heavy duty corner steadies.

We really liked the layout, didn't think that Swift could improve on the Jewel layout but they have HOWEVER the sticking point for me is purely personal, we have owned Sterling Eccles vans since 2000 as we like the brightness inside and the use of colour in the upholstery, the new interior is IMHO a very dull all over brown which I am not sure I can live with. Plus we caravan a lot in the winter both here in N Scotland and in the Alps and would prefer to have Alde heating but we don't want to go the twin axle route (done that - never again!!). So - our decision is do we change now to a layout which is almost exactly what we want or do we wait till next year and see if Swift either bring out an Elite version complete with Alde heating and maybe even different upholstery. I do like to light woodwork and dark worktops are OK is just the upholstery.

Note for Swift if they read this - is it possible to get a less all over brown upholstery as an factory fitted extra?

Jan

NE Scotland

Unicorn Valencia pulled by Merc E280 cdi sport

Come on Jan - you know you want to join the Airstream Club :lol:

PS - nothing against Swift, we have had over four years happy 'vanning with our Abbey BUT decided it was time to move on.

Edited by TedNewman

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

Come on Jan - you know you want to join the Airstream Club :lol:

PS - nothing against Swift, we have had over four years happy 'vanning with our Abbey BUT decided it was time to move on.

I certainly do Ted BUT we are not sure that there will be the room in it for us as we frequently take our 2 young grandchildren away with us, we are hoping to call into Tebay the end of this month but deep down we think the minuses will out weigh the pluses which is why we have been looking at the new Sterling. BUT the interior of the Airstream spoils you for the dull interiors of this year's Sterlings.

Jan

NE Scotland

according to swift, the upholstery has been well received and they have no plans to change it any time soon - don't know who they've asked but they must have been colour blind!

i'm just glad we have no plans to change our caravan this year as i would definately be going to a different manufacturer. there is absolutely no way i could live with the drab, dreary colour scheme. i'm not a great fan of the wood either to be honest, but if there was a different choice of upholsery i'm sure i could live with it. as it is, i find the combination of the two totally depressing - not a feeling i want when i step inside my caravan!

we are planning to change in 2 years and unless there is, in my opinion, an improvement (or a little more choice offered) in the colour scheme, then for the first time ever we will not be buying a sterling.

we paid extra to have the elite upholstery in our current jewel and would, if necessary, be prepared to pay extra again if sterling offered a bigger range of upholstery. if you're buying a factory ordered caravan, i fail to see why this couldn't be done.

sue

I certainly do Ted BUT we are not sure that there will be the room in it for us as we frequently take our 2 young grandchildren away with us, we are hoping to call into Tebay the end of this month but deep down we think the minuses will out weigh the pluses which is why we have been looking at the new Sterling. BUT the interior of the Airstream spoils you for the dull interiors of this year's Sterlings.

Jan

The 532 is certainly a two only van - the 534 will handle four BUT the 684 is what you want however you are back then to twin axles :mellow:

according to swift, the upholstery has been well received and they have no plans to change it any time soon - don't know who they've asked but they must have been colour blind!

i'm just glad we have no plans to change our caravan this year as i would definately be going to a different manufacturer. there is absolutely no way i could live with the drab, dreary colour scheme. i'm not a great fan of the wood either to be honest, but if there was a different choice of upholsery i'm sure i could live with it. as it is, i find the combination of the two totally depressing - not a feeling i want when i step inside my caravan!

we are planning to change in 2 years and unless there is, in my opinion, an improvement (or a little more choice offered) in the colour scheme, then for the first time ever we will not be buying a sterling.

we paid extra to have the elite upholstery in our current jewel and would, if necessary, be prepared to pay extra again if sterling offered a bigger range of upholstery. if you're buying a factory ordered caravan, i fail to see why this couldn't be done.

sue

Having been to the Swift factory and seen the way the vans are assembled I think that to have 'specials' would make the van prohibitively expensive as at present Swift do every van in batches of ten (I seem to remember) - which means ordering ten sets of upholstery in your choice feasible if you can get another nine people to join you, this is how 'dealer specials' are done.

Andrew

I have checked and the Ruby prototype (equivelent to the Challenger 570) is currently at Highbridge caravans and is there until Sunday night. If you want to see the van,

Thanks

Andy

Note for Swift if they read this - is it possible to get a less all over brown upholstery as an factory fitted extra?

Jan

Hi Jan,

It is possible to select any other fabric from the range of products we fit, thanks

Andy

Hi Jan,

It is possible to select any other fabric from the range of products we fit, thanks

Andy

Thanks for the quick reply Andy - have to have a look through the other ranges see if there is something a wee bit brighter.

BTW hope your design people looked inside the Airstream - now that is IMHO good design. Swift are superb at layouts, you always seem to be able to get a quart in a pint pot just not the same with your interior design these days.

Jan

Edited by JanB

NE Scotland

Hi Andrew - we have the Eccles Jewel, think it is the same layout at your 540, fixed bed with long sideboard opposite kitchen. We had a good look round the Eccles Ruby at the Scottish caravan show. Cracking van - in comparison to the Jewel the sideboard is much shorter and the fire is now at an angle to the front of the van. You loose the large cupboard at the side of the van storage wise. The microwave is now above the cooker and I found it much easier to reach although it is now a dial type one rather than digital. The space that the microwave takes up in the Jewel is not there. There is a very clever drop down arrangement for the television above the divider between bed and sideboard, the television slides down from a locker above this partition, obviously only suitable for a flat screen. Means the TV is completely out of sight when you are not using it. The cutlery draw is now on the fire side of the kitchen. The seating at the front is exactly the same as in the Jewel. The wardrobe has moved slightly into the bedroom area into the space that the hand basin took up and tapers slightly near the bed. Rear bathroom is very good, large fully lined shower - even my OH said he would use it, he hates the hassle of wiping down the Jewels shower. Plenty of room to get dried and changed, sink easy to access, toilet new slightly higher type. The windows do not have metal surrounds so no more wiping away condensation at the bed window in below freezing weather. Move mains sockets - double sockets in some areas (we changed our socket for the TV into a double socket in the Jewel). Carpet is much thicker and looks as if it will wear much better - however still only 2 pieces don't know why they don't split it at the bedroom divider - much easier to take out to clean etc. LED lighting is superb, the LED awning light not only looks good but works well. The extra door width is good too. Access to the fixed bed is much easier as the toilet wall has gone and there is only a very small wall at the top of the bed.

However - no exterior gas outlet, radio is now in one of the front lockers, no heavy duty corner steadies.

We really liked the layout, didn't think that Swift could improve on the Jewel layout but they have HOWEVER the sticking point for me is purely personal, we have owned Sterling Eccles vans since 2000 as we like the brightness inside and the use of colour in the upholstery, the new interior is IMHO a very dull all over brown which I am not sure I can live with. Plus we caravan a lot in the winter both here in N Scotland and in the Alps and would prefer to have Alde heating but we don't want to go the twin axle route (done that - never again!!). So - our decision is do we change now to a layout which is almost exactly what we want or do we wait till next year and see if Swift either bring out an Elite version complete with Alde heating and maybe even different upholstery. I do like to light woodwork and dark worktops are OK is just the upholstery.

Jan

Thanks Jan, you should get a job in Swifts Marketing dept.

Regards

Andrew

I have to agree that the Swift website is disappointing. I'm in the market for a new van and like the layout of the California but want somethiung lighter so went to the Swift website looking for info, and more particularly, pictures on the Europa and Charisma models but there was nothing to see really.

Mine: Fiesta; his Mondeo Estate; ours Bailey Olympus534, DD1's Poppy the cocker but she comes with us!

We also wanted to see the Challenger at the NEC to compare it with the California.

Unfortunately they only had the Ruby and we did not like the interior decor at all and this totally put us off.

We did like the California but it all seemed a bit cramped.

Dave

Edited by caraman1

Discovery 4 HSE 2015, Bailey Unicorn S4 Barcelona 2018.
http://www. mycaravan. org. uk/

Check this out . .. some pictures of the Eccles Ruby.

http://www. highbridgecaravans. co. uk/newcar. ..ils. php?AN=1034

Thanks a lot. Do not like the colour scheme at all but that is personal taste, but these are the best pictures I have seen of the layout which I have to say looks better than the California because they have extended the van whilst Bailey have just made the space. The down side is it weighs more!!!.

Thanks again

Andrew