Opel Omega 2.5 Tdi

doganboncu

Hi,

A friend of mine wants to buy one of these tdi omegas with AT. He doesn't own a caravan but he is very interested to buy one.

The car is an estate 2002 and 110000 km on the clock.

Searching on the net I have heard some electrical problems so far. I have also seen several failing vectra autoboxes here including my brother.

I know it is a popular car among caravaners there and would like to know whether it is a reliable car as solo and on towing.

Thanks in advance.

Dogan Boncu

I had VX Omega 2. 5 TD T reg about 8 years ago with the auto box and towed a Bailey Senator Oklahoma and found it to be a very stable competant towcar, i never had any problems with it although it was only 18 months old and 12,00 miles on the clock when we bought it and when we sold it it had 42,000 two years later, the next owner still has it and tows to spain every year it now has 130. 000 and is still going strong with no real problems

curently on site Camping Turiscampo

Algarve, Portugal (escaping the british winter)

Edited by neil and lena

The 2. 5 TDi engine is a BMW unit and needs frequent BMW-style servicing - if it's neglected in normal Opel/Vauxhall manner it does become unreliable - make sure there's a full service history with oil changes every 10,000km - not 15-20,000km like other Opel/Vauxhalls. This engine is only 125bhp, quite low by modern standards and lower than when fitted in BMWs!

The automatic gearbox is a Borg Warner unit, normally quite robust - but then the Vectra get the Toyota-built Aisin-Warner autobox which is normally regarded as bullet-proof here - is there a problem with dust and heat in Turkey, that'll kill any autobox if they aren't looked after.

. ....

The automatic gearbox is a Borg Warner unit, normally quite robust - . .......

but the AR25 gear box they fitted is on its limits, (reason for detuning it??)

Lunar Delta 520/2 towed by Omega 3. 0 Elite

B)-->

QUOTE(Andy B @ Mar 3 2009, 03:40 PM) 235482[/snapback]
but the AR25 gear box they fitted is on its limits, (reason for detuning it??)

The AR25 autobox torque limit is 250Nm, the 2. 5TDi produced 250Nm (184lbft) so on the limit, yes, but not exceeding it - my Astra 1. 8 petrol produced 170Nm torque which was no problem for the AF17 autobox, which has a torque limit of 170Nm.

. ......

The AR25 autobox torque limit is 250Nm, the 2. 5TDi produced 250Nm (184lbft) so on the limit, yes, but not exceeding it . .....

It would have been nice to have a bit of lee way . ... especially if you chipped it! :rolleyes:

B)-->

QUOTE(Andy B @ Mar 3 2009, 05:49 PM) 235534[/snapback]
It would have been nice to have a bit of lee way . ... especially if you chipped it! :rolleyes:

The leeway is that most gearboxes, manual and automatic, can tolerate a 30% overload of their torque limit - as happens with mildly tuned engines.

whattowcar gives 150 hp and 300 nm for 2001-2003 tdi estate omega. Is it incorrect?

About the vectra box failure,

My brother has a 2006 vectra from new (before face lift). He had many times problems with the autobox. The Opel service finally changed the box completaly as an upgrade within guarantee. He doesn't tow a caravan or so. Lately he sad he again get bad signals. The car has always been serviced by opel services though.

He is surprised I have been towing 1650 kg caravan with my old automatic merc(250k km) in hot summers.

Cheers

Dogan Boncu

AR25 and AR35 were built by Aisin-Warner (Borg-Warners under licence).

Apparently only the early 2. 5TD used the AR25, the later 2. 5TD uses the stronger AR35 - but I don't when the production change date was.

. ...... the later 2. 5TD uses the stronger AR35 - but I don't when the production change date was.

Don't think so, not something I've heard of, but there again I have a petrol Omega. :D

whattowcar gives 150 hp and 300 nm for 2001-2003 tdi estate omega. Is it incorrect?

. .....

Check that you've got the right engine :unsure: . Vauxhall dropped the straight 6 BMW lump for the later face lift cars and used their own 4 pot 2. 2 diesel which just had the manual gearbox, no auto option.

the omega 2. 5tdi is always the bmw engine from the start of there production, this engine is the best engine to come in a vauxhall, apart from the v6 petrol which saab took and made relible but vauxhall didnt, anyway, as said before the 2. 5 does need regular oil and filter changes, but even if a few are missed it wont make a difference,

as for gear box problems for the 4 years i worked for vauxhall i never replaced a auto gear box or a 2. 5 tdi engine, were as every other engine i have the 2l ecotec for a past time.

i9 wouldnt be scared of buying one id love one to tow with just have no money to buy one, mike

B)-->

QUOTE(Andy B @ Mar 3 2009, 08:46 PM) 235593[/snapback]
Don't think so, not something I've heard of, but there again I have a petrol Omega. :D

I do recall something about the AR25 being dropped in favour of the AR35 for the Omega's mid-range engines but I don't know which engines or when.

It wouldn't be a change when the 2. 5TD was dropped in favour of the cheaper 2. 0TD as that was only available as manual.

the omega 2. 5tdi is always the bmw engine from the start of there production, this engine is the best engine to come in a vauxhall, apart from the v6 petrol which saab took and made relible but vauxhall didnt, anyway, as said before the 2. 5 does need regular oil and filter changes, but even if a few are missed it wont make a difference,

as for gear box problems for the 4 years i worked for vauxhall i never replaced a auto gear box or a 2. 5 tdi engine, were as every other engine i have the 2l ecotec for a past time.

i9 wouldnt be scared of buying one id love one to tow with just have no money to buy one, mike

have a look at the Omega Owner's Forum, you'll find loads of dead AR 25 gearboxes that have been behind a 2. 5 BMW TD especially as said if they've been tweaked.

. ....

It wouldn't be a change when the 2. 5TD was dropped in favour of the cheaper 2. 0TD as that was only available as manual.

The turbo diseasal fitted to later Omegas was a 2. 2 not 2. 0 ;)

. ....

From what I can see, the Aisin Warner autos were fitted to the Omega 'A' which in the UK was the Carlton.

but GM seemed to forget to include a dipstick when fitted to Omega B's :huh:

B)-->

QUOTE(Andy B @ Mar 3 2009, 10:27 PM) 235636[/snapback]
but GM seemed to forget to include a dipstick when fitted to Omega B's :huh:

And on some front-wheel drive automatic Opel/Vauxhalls !!

I know they claim "lubricated for life" but we all know that's unlikely - it just seems so foolhardy to deliberately omit the dipstick which allows checking of level and fluid condition - as well as topping up if necessary.

Thanks for all the contributions.

I see I should check whether it is a 6 cylinder 150 hp version with AR35 box and that it has proper records of maintenance.

Regards

Dogan Boncu

Apparently only the early 2. 5TD used the AR25, the later 2. 5TD uses the stronger AR35 - but I don't when the production change date was.

Hi all

Just found this thread, interesting topic IMHO.

The AR35 Autobox can be retro fitted to replace the AR25. A link to the Omega forum has already been posted.

The 2. 5TD was a BMW based unit, not wholly BMW. There were a few Omega B Diesel auto's manufactured but very rare to find ( I've been searching for the past 4 months)

If you like big cars for little money. .............. :D

Regards.

Col.

Proud to be a Patriot and CT Ninja
I get the feeling that beneath your sesquipedalian loquaciousness you're the same kind of fundamentalist intent on winning arguments through Argumentum Verbosium.

Hi all

Just found this thread, interesting topic IMHO.

The AR35 Autobox can be retro fitted to replace the AR25. A link to the Omega forum has already been posted.

The 2. 5TD was a BMW based unit, not wholly BMW. There were a few Omega B Diesel auto's manufactured but very rare to find ( I've been searching for the past 4 months)

If you like big cars for little money. .............. :D

Regards.

Col.

The Omega-A was known the Carlton in the UK. The Omega-B was the Vauxhall Omega.

The 2. 5TD, supplied by BMW but different to similar units used in BMWs and fitted to Omega-B, was available with manual or automatic transmission - the 2. 2TD GM diesel which replaced the 2. 5TD in the Omega-B was officially only available with manual transmission only.

If any 2. 2TD automatics exist, they must have been conversions.