Being new to the board, just wanting to know if anyone has a whale aquasource mains water connection kit. If you have has anyone had anyone problems or know of any problems with this product?

Works as it says, its just a pipe with a tap connector on one end and a caravan connector with a pressure valve on the other. The only problem is the pressure is a bit too low in my system. Probably the on-board pump restricting the flow, so I just keep the caravan pump switched on.

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

Being new to the board, just wanting to know if anyone has a whale aquasource mains water connection kit. If you have has anyone had anyone problems or know of any problems with this product?

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I've had a Whale Aquasource kit for over 6 years now. .. I use it mainly on fully serviced pitches in France.

I did have a problem with the original in that it developed an internal leak between the inner and outer hoses (it seems there are two hoses one inside the other).

This caused an enormous "bubble" in the outer hose which "strangled" the inner hose and blocked off the water supply.

The kit was replaced F. O. C. by my dealer.

As a consequence of the above I had to revert to DIY and cobble together a ballcock and fittings for the Aquaroll. .. such that the Aquaroll automatically fills from the tap as the water is drawn off in the van.

This is far less expensive than the Whale Aquasource and just as effective.

Hope this helps. ... if you need any further info. please ask.

G.

Works as it says, its just a pipe with a tap connector on one end and a caravan connector with a pressure valve on the other. The only problem is the pressure is a bit too low in my system. Probably the on-board pump restricting the flow, so I just keep the caravan pump switched on.

The Aquasource supplies mains pressure water directly to the van water system it shouldn't go through an onboard pump. The Whale socket in the van wall is available with a pressure regulator adjustment have you checked yours?

I've got an Aquasource kit for sale. £20 including postage. Used twice, 'as new' condition. Whale inlet socket £5 inc post.

The Aquasource supplies mains pressure water directly to the van water system it shouldn't go through an onboard pump. The Whale socket in the van wall is available with a pressure regulator adjustment have you checked yours?

Have to say i do exactly the same as Artleknock when using my Aquasource.

I was not aware of any adjustment to the pressure as Beejay describes, do all the sockets have this adjustment?

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

I was not aware of any adjustment to the pressure as Beejay describes, do all the sockets have this adjustment?

Phil.

It does have a valve, thats how it protects against flooding, it restricts the pressure to below that which the pump would provide to prevent any blown joints or seals in the van.

There is no way I would risk using it otherwise, I have known full mains pressure to blow even reinforced garden hoses.

Is it really worth making any adjustment, I have had the Aquasource for over a year now and only used it twice, it's easier to leave the pump on than it is to fiddle every time I wish to use it. The only pressure valve that I know of in the van is the one between the pump and the taps, and I have no wish to adjust that. As far as I know the only valve on the water inlet is a non return valve, but my van is in storage at the moment. I will have a look next time it is out, that shouldn't be too long as we are starting to get itchy feet.

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

I previously used the Aquasource on my Sterling Eccles Emerald (1998) which did not have an on board cold water tank/pump.

Since we bought the Bailey (which does have an onboard cold water tank and pump) I have always left the pump on.

It never occurred to me to do otherwise!

I'll try it out (with the onboard pump switched off) next time I get an opportunity.

G.

Thanks Beejay,

So it shouldn't go through an onboard pump? Do I have to turn this off?

Bailey Ranger 500/5. Renault Megane 1. 9Dci 120hp

Thanks Beejay,

So it shouldn't go through an onboard pump? Do I have to turn this off?

Like some others have said, I would not use the Aquasource system on any caravan with on board pump. Mains pressure could damage this expensive item. Switching the on board pump off will not lessen the damage risk. Personally I would always use the ball-cock valve and Aquaroll system, whether using on board or immersed pump systems. That way there is no danger of flooding with mains pressure or damage to components. How lucky do you feel?

Like some others have said, I would not use the Aquasource system on any caravan with on board pump. Mains pressure could damage this expensive item. Switching the on board pump off will not lessen the damage risk. Personally I would always use the ball-cock valve and Aquaroll system, whether using on board or immersed pump systems. That way there is no danger of flooding with mains pressure or damage to components. How lucky do you feel?

Before I get "jumped on" by others on forum, let me say that I'm sure the "Aquasource people" will tell you it is perfectly ok for both on board and submersed pump systems. However do you want to trust a valve (little bit of sprung loaded plastic), to safeguard your caravan components and pipework.

Remember that mains water pressure can vary considerably. (I have measred pressure in UK as high as 3Bar+. That's over 40psi, more than the average car tyre pressure!!!) Will Aquasource pay for any damage to your caravan etc if their unit fails?

You decide. I know what I will continue to do.

Cheers

Phil.

I am looking at the rear of a Whale inlet socket. It is marked "cut-off pressure. ...lo. ...hi" around a white plastic slotted adjuster screw. Inside the hose connector spigot is a non-return valve. I don't think all Whale inlets have the pressure control, it's designed for pressure controlled pumps and would have no effect on incoming water pressure. The Aquasource is used to supply mains water directly to the van water system and a pressure regulator can/should be fitted in-line. I can't see how you can run it through an inboard tank and pump. How do you control the water volume in the tank? By turning the hose on and off to top-up?

With an inboard tank a mains water supply is usually through a float operated valve in the tank supplied by a pipe through the floor of the van with a quick connect coupling to a hose from the water supply . Just like a toilet cistern. Easy to make with a Torbeck type toilet valve, some copper pipe and connectors. Called a "City Wasser" kit on the continent, rarely seen in the U. K.

Before I get "jumped on" by others on forum, let me say that I'm sure the "Aquasource people" will tell you it is perfectly ok for both on board and submersed pump systems. However do you want to trust a valve (little bit of sprung loaded plastic), to safeguard your caravan components and pipework.

Remember that mains water pressure can vary considerably. (I have measred pressure in UK as high as 3Bar+. That's over 40psi, more than the average car tyre pressure!!!) Will Aquasource pay for any damage to your caravan etc if their unit fails?

You decide. I know what I will continue to do.

Cheers

I am no expert on this subject, but this is what happens when i connect the Aquasource, i turn the tap fully on at the standpipe and then when i run water in the van via the van tap i get what i would desctibe as a steady trickle. If i then switch on the pump, i get the normal flow i would get when using the Aquaroll. Would this not indicate that the Aquasource is indeed reducing the pressure so as not to damage the plumbing inside the van? or am i missing something here?

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

I use the ballcock valve and Aquaroll system as I have heard that the aquasource system can fail and flood the 'van !!!

Gerry

2005 Kia Sorento 2. 5 Auto towing 2011 Conqueror 645

I am no expert on this subject, but this is what happens when i connect the Aquasource, i turn the tap fully on at the standpipe and then when i run water in the van via the van tap i get what i would desctibe as a steady trickle. If i then switch on the pump, i get the normal flow i would get when using the Aquaroll. Would this not indicate that the Aquasource is indeed reducing the pressure so as not to damage the plumbing inside the van? or am i missing something here?

Phil.

That is exactly my experience. The first time I used the Aquasource was on a Magenta with a submersible pump and no restrictions between inlet and taps, and got used to living with the slow water flow. With the new van I have the luxury of an inboard pump and am able to have normal water pressure with the pump on. It appears that the valve will not let too much pressure be pushed through but does not stop water from being sucked through by the pump ( I hope you understand the highly technical terms )

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

I just use a torbek valve screwed into a spare aquaroll cap and pump the water as usual.

Just means the barrel never empties - now, if I could do that with beer . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

:D

• 1 year later...

I've got an Aquasource kit for sale. £20 including postage. Used twice, 'as new' condition. Whale inlet socket £5 inc post.

Edited by ildi

bobsnobs

I have had both the Aquasource and the Aquaroll mains adapter kit for about 4 years now and I much prefer the Aquasourec.

As for when the pump should also be used, depends on the the van's plumbing system, as it does not matter with later vans with an onboard pump, but you get better pressure at your taps and shower with the pump on.

Regards
Terry Birch
The tourer days are over, we now have an Hobby D500 GESC.

We are now seasonal and use the Aquasource mains plugged directly into the tap. However due to the recent frosts it kinks out a bit and there is a slight leak. We use it with the pump on as our van has an onboard tank. It has proved to be effective. Just looking now at buying another Aquasourse filter as it does take the hassle out of having an aquaroll and the water pressure is better too.

bobsnobs