3/4 Awning

pete.b

Hi All,

I bought a cheap full size awning for my van 12 months ago. Never been over happy with it. Possibly because I have been used to an Isabella.

I had planned to buy a better awning when funds permitted but due to my brain haemorrhage it doesn't look likely at this time.

I have still got my Isabella from my old van but it is too small. What I wondered was has anyone ever used a full size (but too small) awning as a midi awning on a larger van? If so can you tell me how successful was it and what did you need to do or buy to convert it?

Regards

Pete

Volvo

Contact Isabella. Their brochure refers to accessories which can be used to do exactly what you want.

Basically, the roped fitting which goes in the channel just needs cutting, at the right point.

I think the Isabella kit includes an extra vertical pole with a pad to fit against the wall of the caravan, just like a porch.

I have an old "Viking" awning that we have had converted for use as a universal awning. ie the rear of the awning fits in the channel at the rear of the caravan whilst the front of the awning has a padded vertical pole pressed against the caravan wall in porch awning fashion.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

I would advise giving it a long hard thought before cutting the awning bead/rope as there no positive repair to fix it back together in the future(apart from replacing it totally).It is ok to do this method if you have a cheap/secondhand awning that you can afford to do it to. I used to have a 850bradcott on a 640 elddis as a super porch but the awning had to be returned under warranty,if I had cut the bead/rope I was told it would have void the warranty!!!.I Know Pete is using his old awning and isn't going to use it on another van so he could use this method. Hope this helps. :blink:

I would advise giving it a long hard thought before cutting the awning bead/rope as there no positive repair to fix it back together in the future(apart from replacing it totally).It is ok to do this method if you have a cheap/secondhand awning that you can afford to do it to. I used to have a 850bradcott on a 640 elddis as a super porch but the awning had to be returned under warranty,if I had cut the bead/rope I was told it would have void the warranty!!!.I Know Pete is using his old awning and isn't going to use it on another van so he could use this method. Hope this helps. :blink:

14265[/snapback]

Sound advice. The Viking awning was 10 years old when we had it modified. It's now 25 years old and still going strong on it's umpteenth caravan. The awning beading was sewn into a reinforced pocket on the roofline before being cut and an eyelet fitted for the front vertical pole.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Hi All, 

I bought a cheap full size awning for my van 12 months ago. Never been over happy with it. Possibly because I have been used to an Isabella.

I had planned to buy a better awning when funds permitted but due to my brain haemorrhage it doesn't look likely at this time.

I have still got my Isabella from my old van but it is too small.   What I wondered was has anyone ever used a full size (but too small) awning as a midi awning on a larger van?  If so can you tell me how successful was it and what did you need to do or buy to convert it?

Regards

Pete

13821[/snapback]

Hi Pete

You could seek adivice from some of the awning repairs / alteration liste below

Repairs webb page http://www. falconleisure. co. uk/

Repairs webb page www. pennineoutdoor. co. uk

Repairs webb page www. pointnorth. co. uk

Repairs webb page www. tentrepairs. com

Repairs webb page www. canvasrepaircentre. co. uk

Repairs webb page www. triopair. co. uk

Repairs webb page http://www. basecampuk. com/

lesure care tent services 01384 293193

Barkers of Blackburn Tele 01254 707 533

I have awnings altered in the past and must admit they allways fit better as the size is exact.

Dave

Dave, I too am a great believer in altering. In fact the Isabella has already been altered. Unfortunately this van is far too big to have this awning altered again. Hence the idea of it becoming a midi awning. But, thank you for your excellent list of people that alter awnings.

Gordon, hopefully talk to you at Beehive. Also Mick if he is not working.

Roger, Thank you, I have found what you are talking about.

Regards Pete.

Volvo