Ot, But Please Forgive Me.

Hi,

As the title says, OT, but I guess that many caravaners are of a certain age. ....

If you EVER wore a British military uniform, do a Googe for UK VETERANS. There is a nice little lapel badge to pin to your anorak.

If you served in Malaya during the Trouble Years (1950ish to 19666) do a Google for MEDAL + MALAYA. Malaysia produced a medal in 2000, but UK Govt didn't want us Brits to have it, as we already have the GSM. First I heard of it, got mine 40 years after the event. But HMG responded to a bit of pressure, and you can now have the Malay one too. I think it also covers Borneo and such.

Apologies to those who are not entitled.

Hi,

As the title says, OT, but I guess that many caravaners are of a certain age. ....

If you EVER wore a British military uniform, do a Googe for UK VETERANS. There is a nice little lapel badge to pin to your anorak.

If you served in Malaya during the Trouble Years (1950ish to 19666) do a Google for MEDAL + MALAYA. Malaysia produced a medal in 2000, but UK Govt didn't want us Brits to have it, as we already have the GSM. First I heard of it, got mine 40 years after the event. But HMG responded to a bit of pressure, and you can now have the Malay one too. I think it also covers Borneo and such.

The medal you refer to is the PJM Pingat Jasa Malaysia, I received mine last year but I think applications are now closed.

Do you mean these sites.

http://veterans-uk. info/

http://veterans-uk. info/new_badge/badge. html

http://veterans-uk. info/medals/medals. html

Me!! ex RCT and proud to have done my little bit. :ph34r:

Edited by The Ridge Rider

Ace Firestar hiding behind Jeep Cherokee Sport

I'm not depressed,the world is just happier than me.

Hi,

Sorry, but I really don't see the point in them. I was in Borneo 1963/4 and have a GSM with Borneo clasp. It has been in the back of the drawer for the last forty years.

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

My Father was postumously awarded a medal for the middle east conflict many years after it took place. Why not award it at the time?

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Sorry, but I really don't see the point in them. I was in Borneo 1963/4 and have a GSM with Borneo clasp. It has been in the back of the drawer for the last forty years.

Hi Artleknock,

You might not see the point, but when your grandchildren start to research you family tree, they will thank you.

Lawrence of Arabia joined the RAF as an AC Plonk in WW2. When asked if he had any medals from WW1, he replied that he did. He was ordered to wear them at the next padade. Oh dear!

I recently received my uncle's Dead Man's Penny through the post. I don't know who had it all these years, no covering letter. He was KIA in 1915. Probably worth a few bob on Ebay.

Me!! ex RCT and proud to have done my little bit. :ph34r:

[gentle tease/]

Rickshaws, Cabs & Taxis ?? ;)

[/gentle tease]

from the other half of the Corps now known as the RLC :D

[gentle tease/]

[/gentle tease]

And before that they were the Royal Army Skirt Chasers :D

Many a weary footslogger was glad of the lift from the RASC or the RCT

"And before that they were the Royal Army Skirt Chasers" Nah. ....Run Away Someones Coming!

EX RCT! 66 -69

GeorgeB Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

When I said I was normal. .....maybe I exaggerated somewhat!

Skoda Superb MK3 190ps DSG 4X4 estate closely followed by a Swift Challenger 580 Alde

Many a weary footslogger was glad of the lift from the RASC or the RCT

"And before that they were the Royal Army Skirt Chasers" Nah. ....Run Away Someones Coming!

EX RCT! 66 -69

And there is me thinking it stood for Rissoles A***holes Sausage and Chips. :P

And as for the poor Loggies :D:D

Ahh the "Aldershot Cement Company" :P I always loved me breakfast dun proper, "babies heads" and "compo sausages". B)

Missus recons i am a saddo, as on one site (Ashbourne) i came back from the wash block at night wearing me camo shorts and a dark green teeshirt, it was a cool evening, and walking through the trees smelling the woods and seeing the twinkleing of lights in vans parked up, it reminded me of being on an excercise with trucks scrimmed up and Dvr's trying to keep lights to a minimum, and it felt ruddy great, nearly felt like shouting "STAND TO". :lol::lol:

Hi Artleknock,

You might not see the point, but when your grandchildren start to research you family tree, they will thank you.

They certainly will, I have about 8 years research into my family tree on the computer, traced the family name back to the early 1500's in Kessingland :D

I wish I new as much about where I am going as I do about where I came from. <_<

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

[gentle tease/]

[/gentle tease]

Ex RCT too and proud of it actually it stood for Right Cool Truckers

Ridge Rider I was at 8 Regt 54 Sqn 53 Port Sqn and a TA unit as permanent Staff

Hi,

Even more OT. ..... you can wear some medals even though they were won by your father. So what about the WW2 Squaddie that went on parade wearing his father's WW1 Iron Cross.

And recently, somebody managed to get issued with a Waterloo Medal. His ancestor never received it, but better late than never.

Family history question. Does anyone know if the ARP were ever given medals?

Hi,

Even more OT. ..... you can wear some medals even though they were won by your father. So what about the WW2 Squaddie that went on parade wearing his father's WW1 Iron Cross.

And recently, somebody managed to get issued with a Waterloo Medal. His ancestor never received it, but better late than never.

Family history question. Does anyone know if the ARP were ever given medals?

Hi 602,

Is it true that your parent's medals can be worn but only on the right hand side of the chest?

TIA,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Ex RCT too and proud of it actually it stood for Right Cool Truckers

Ridge Rider I was at 8 Regt 54 Sqn 53 Port Sqn and a TA unit as permanent Staff

For my sins i was sent to 10 Regt twice (74-77 and 80-83), also did a tour with 1 Sqn in Colly (77-80). www. waggoners. co. uk B) and Yahoo have got an RCT site as well.

Hi 602,

Is it true that your parent's medals can be worn but only on the right hand side of the chest?

TIA,

Ian.

Hi Ian,

Thats my understanding, and includes medals awarded by other nations.

But I'm not sure if includes all medals. Maybe only decorations ????? Whats the difference? My understanding is that medals show where you have been, and/or when. In effect they mean little more that sticking Brighton or Bognor onto your suitcase. Well, maybe a bit more.

Decorations are awarded for doing something silly (aka brave) like the bloke who lived in the next valley to me. He said he shot down 6 YAK fighters in 12 minutes, about 50 years ago. Claimed they were about to straffe the airliner they had forced to ditch in the South China Sea. ONLY 6 YAKs against a DH Hornet? No contest. :rolleyes: On returning to Tengah, he was arrested, cos there wasn't a war on. Eventually, they gave him a DFC, or something like that.

Me? I've got a GSM with Arabian Peninsular Clasp. And ANOTHER GSM with a Malay Penisular clasp, which I find very confusing. Also the aforementioned Malay medal that I can never remember the name of. All baggage labels. But the GSMs are worth a few bob . .. solid silver.

Hi 602,

Thanks for the confirmation. My Father's medal was a campaign one and I will wear it at the next remembrance day parade,

Regards,

Ian.

I have a GSM from NI. Awarded for my two years at RAF Bishops Court (Ulster Radar). An earlier description of them being like a place sticker on your suitcase is a very apt description!! My medal lies in a box in the loft and will likely never see the light of day again. My tour was not without risk, but as an Air Trafficer I hardly did anything heroic. I grew to love NI and the people. The social life was great and the women were v attractive.

Lawrence of Arabia joined the RAF as an AC Plonk in WW2. When asked if he had any medals from WW1, he replied that he did. He was ordered to wear them at the next padade. Oh dear!

Sorry to throw cold water on that fact, but T E Lawrence died in 1935 !

Neil.

I have a GSM from NI. Awarded for my two years at RAF Bishops Court (Ulster Radar). An earlier description of them being like a place sticker on your suitcase is a very apt description!! My medal lies in a box in the loft and will likely never see the light of day again. My tour was not without risk, but as an Air Trafficer I hardly did anything heroic. I grew to love NI and the people. The social life was great and the women were v attractive.

Sorry to throw cold water on that fact, but T E Lawrence died in 1935 !

Neil.

It may well have been a place sticker for you as I can understand but I can assure you it wasn't for a lot of lads who saw action and sadly some lost their lives for a GSM, it raises the old case of should people who were only there receive the same medal as those who were shot at.

Regards.

It may well have been a place sticker for you as I can understand but I can assure you it wasn't for a lot of lads who saw action and sadly some lost their lives for a GSM, it raises the old case of should people who were only there receive the same medal as those who were shot at.

Regards.

Agree with you - my OH and my brother certainly earned their GSM and other awards in the places they served. Unfortunately many awards are downgraded because of this American style "handing out with bedding"at times. Awards for "active service" should maybe define how "active" the service is.

Proud to be ex WRNS and "camp follower"

Jan

NE Scotland

Unicorn Valencia pulled by Merc E280 cdi sport