Bailey Pageant S6 With Pooling Water!

Andyl

Two weeks ago I went to check on my Caravan (2007 S6 Bailey Pageant Bretange) which is currently in storage. To my horror when I opened the van I found water on the floor directly below the sky light. On further inspection there was water on top of the work surface over the fridge. I spoke to Bailey who explained it was probably a freak accident as water can come in through modern ventilated sky lights in extreme circumstances. They advised me that If I was concerned I should take it to my local dealer for further inspection. So I took it to the local bailey dealer (North Staffs Caravans) who confirmed there were no signs of damp and it must have been a freak accident, possibly down to the high levels of snow we’d had. So I took the van back in to storage but decided to keep a close eye on things.

Last Sunday (less than a week later) I went back down to the van to check on things again only to find yet more water. This time it had pooled in front of the heater, but there was clearly water lying on top of the heater which had run down the front of the heater leading to the pool. There was also another pool of water outside the last cupboard by the bed box (the one where the wire baskets and cutlery draw are. I opened up the cupboard and inside it was soaking wet. One of the wire baskets had a cardboard tube of salt in it and this was also dripping with water.

So last Tuesday it went back to NS Caravans along with photographic evidence of the pooling water. The service guy there said he’d never seen anything like it before and I left the van with them for further inspection. I’ve just had a call back from them today, he says they’ve done a water system check which is showing no leaks. They’ve soaked the caravan with a hose and no further water has come in. They’ve also done a full damp check and everything seems fine. He struggling to come up with any explanation of how this water has managed to get in to the van.

Has anyone else had a similar experience or any suggestions as to what might be happening with my van?

Hi Andy,

I've not heard of this before which would indicate that your 'van is unique. I would have thought if it was typical then all 'vans would suffer from the problem,

Regards,

Ian.

Edited by ian dunning

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

The use of a hose does not always find a leak. I have had a situation with my 4x4 where water sometimes gets trapped between the rear offside door and the bodywork - I suspect it is coming in via the window (running down the window into the door itself) but it only happens when the car is parked in rain. Using a hosepipe spray on the car for over 30 mins on one occasion resulted in no water entering the car. The next time it rained, the water appeared !!

Gerry

2005 Kia Sorento 2. 5 Auto towing 2011 Conqueror 645

Following a VERY HEAVY downpour we were getting a few drips of water coming down from either one of the front corners of the large roof light in our Lunar, but nothing as bad as you seem to have been suffering.

We took it in to the dealership from where it had been purchased and they took out the roof light and frame but could find no sign of damp. They resealed the unit with the hope that this action had recified the problem.

Not so. We continued to get a few drips after a heavy rainstorm. There appeared to be no sealant where screws came through the frame of the roof light. These screws held down a deflector on the front of the frame. I suggested to the service engineer that this may be the route that the water was taking to the inside of the caravan. They agreed that this could be the cause so they removed the roof light and frame once again and sealed the whole lot including the screw-holes.

This work was carried out in late autumn last year and we have not had any problems since.

Some years ago our next-door neighbour had a problem with water seeping in around the roof light area of his Avondale Rialto. One of the bench seats got completely soaked. The caravan went back to the dealer and the roof light was resealed. Water still got in so the dealer replaced the roof light completely and he has not had a problem since.

Thanks gents for the responses! After being at the dealers for almost 2 weeks and with last week being a bad one for weather (heavy rain, snow and thick frosts) I went to collect the van on Saturday. I was expecting it to be full of water again, yet to my amazement it was as dry as a bone! Nobody has any explanation as to how the water got in to the van a couple of weeks ago and a full damp check has confirmed there is no water coming in through a faulty seal or cracked panel. Bailey themselves are also at a loss as to what has happened here. I’m hoping that this will be the end to this particular scare and we can put it down to “just one of those things….”

I’ll certainly be keeping a regular eye on it over the coming months, but at least we can start looking forward to summer of caravanning!

Thanks again!

Andy