Towbar Installer, Don't Use!

princejim

One of my neighbours had this man to change 1 socket that was already on the towbar and put the new 13pin socket on. First he gave a estimate of between £60 and £90, in fact he charged him £125, this guy is a pensioner. He then finds out when he picks his new van up that both the reversing light and the fog lights have not been wired in??? unbelievable . So I need some help to finish the job for them, can I just go from the connection on the said lights on the car to the plug, but reading these forums, the lighting systems on new cars have electronic detection for faults? It does have a bypass relay fitted, any help would be appreciated, the car is a Peugeot 407sw.

Post has been edited to remove the installers name, this is to protect CT2 and any individuals.

The information provide, whilst given in good faith, is actually 3rd party and as such cannot be treated as fact.

GPS

Edited by Grandpa Steve

If he is indeed wise he does not bid you enter the house of wisdom, but rather leads you to the threshold of your own mind.

Kahlil Gibran

hi jim,

I would take the car back to have the rest of the work carried out as your friend payed enough for it.

I don't see the justification for the increased price as the fitter should know how long it would take surely? Our changeover was priced at £60, whivch I thought was expensive, and I wasn't charged a penny more,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

hi jim,

I would take the car back to have the rest of the work carried out as your friend payed enough for it.

I don't see the justification for the increased price as the fitter should know how long it would take surely? Our changeover was priced at £60, whivch I thought was expensive, and I wasn't charged a penny more,

Regards,

Ian.

Charged £63 for changing 12N / 12S to 13 pin which also included another new large heavy duty fused cable from the battery on the freelander to the new socket for the ATC took them about an hour and half (most of the time being in lifting carpets / trim etc. to hide the cable). I would take the car back and have them sort it out at NO charge as they have not done the job properly

Dave

hi jim,

Regards,

Ian.

Ian

When you had this changeover done was it completely rewired with new cable or were the 2 seven core cables used in the 13 pin socket ?

Bill

Ian

When you had this changeover done was it completely rewired with new cable or were the 2 seven core cables used in the 13 pin socket ?

Bill

Hi Bill,

There's only one cable going into the socket,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Just got my car back today, in anticipation of the new van on Friday.

I was charged £45. 00 for a conversion of 12n/12S to 13 pin socket. Like Ian, I now only have 1 wire connecting into the socket.

Mine was done at an approved Witter installer in Blackburn, who fitted the bar last year.

Andrew

2010/60 Honda CRV ES-T i-DTEC (Deep Sapphire Blue) and a 2009 S7 Bailey Provence.