Nissan Terrano And Alko

birsewolf

Last year I posted a similar topic on the old board, but I went to the NEC show at the weekend and spoke to the ALKO reps,.

They showed me the new retro fit 4x4 handle but advised me to unscrew the alko handle, hitch up to the caravan and see whether or not the arms would go vertical under the spare tyre. If so, the retro handle would work.

They also advised me that they had sent about 200 out to owners of different vehicles to ascertain feedback, but the only vehicle that they believe that they have a problem with is a Frontera.

My problem is that my Caravan is in storage, and being placed the "third back", access is difficult.

Does anyone else have a Terrano who could try this, or has anyone already tried.

It may save me £25!!

Many thanks,

Steve :huh:

The ALKO guy showed me how to unscrew the handle - a philips screwdriver is all that is required. There are two screws at the base of the red handle - these need unscrewing B)

Last year I posted a similar topic on the old board, but I went to the NEC show at the weekend and spoke to the ALKO reps,.

They showed me the new retro fit 4x4 handle but advised me to unscrew the alko handle,  hitch up to the caravan and see whether or not the arms would go vertical under the spare tyre. If so, the retro handle would work.

They also advised me that they had sent about 200 out to owners of different vehicles to ascertain feedback, but the only vehicle that they believe that they have a problem with is a Frontera.

My problem is that my Caravan is in storage, and being placed the "third back", access is difficult.

Does anyone else have a Terrano who could try this, or has anyone already tried.

It may save me £25!!

Many thanks,

Steve :huh:

13816[/snapback]

Hi STeve,

We also tow with a Terrano lwb, or at least we will be, we haven't been out this year yet and we only got the Terrano in Jan! We also have the same problem storage-wise but we will know on Friday, we're off on weekend trip #1. I also spoke to the Alko rep at the show and he showed me the new retro fit handle on the demo hitch, I've got my doubts, it still looked tight to me! We used to tow with a Honda CRV and that was a problem, could only couple-up with the rear door open.

We will find out on Friday, I'll report back on Sunday.

Tim

Hi STeve,

We also tow with a Terrano lwb, or at least we will be, we haven't been out this year yet and we only got the Terrano in Jan! We also have the same problem storage-wise but we will know on Friday, we're off on weekend trip #1.   I also spoke to the Alko rep at the show and he showed me the new retro fit handle on the demo hitch, I've got my doubts, it still looked tight to me!  We used to tow with a Honda CRV and that was a problem, could only couple-up with the rear door open.

We will find out on Friday, I'll report back on Sunday.

Tim

15351[/snapback]

Go to www. al-ko. co. uk

They've got a picture of the new retro-fit. The purpose of the new handle is that its detachable. Some user guidelines are also on their website. Basically you lift the stabiliser about 45 deg, remove the new push on/pull handle and push the forks the rest of the way by hand, and then the reverse to drop onto the towball - therefore overall length of the stabiliser is reduced and should theoretically fit under the spare wheel. It's all a bit of an afterthought by al-ko. I'm thinking of buying a cr-v and hoping it will overcome the problem on this vehicle too. Unfortunately, al-ko can't provide feedback about which cars this will work on.

. ... I'm thinking of buying a cr-v and hoping it will overcome the problem on this vehicle too. Unfortunately, al-ko can't provide feedback about which cars this will work on.

15441[/snapback]

I had an older CR-V, 1998, and it was only just a problem with the Alko handle, after seeing the new retro-fit at the show I think it should cure it for the Honda.

Btw, the only reason we swapped the Honda for the Nissan was kerbweight. We've upgraded the 'van to a 1425kg MTPLM Swift so that meant fully-laden 'van at about 98% of the Honda's kerbweight! :( However we did tow once with the Honda, Staffs to Cardiff for a weekend, we loaded sensibly, awning in the car etc and kept the weight in the 'van well down, it towed really very well. I rate the CR-V very highly, especially solo, towing is excellent too. I note with the new one's the kebweight on the diesel models is well up, if I could afford new I would definitely have another one!

Hi all,

Well, had our first outing at the weekend with the Nissan Terrano towing the Swift Corniche (towed it like a dream), and to be honest whilst there is a problem with the Alko stabiliser it's not that much of a problem that necessitates £25 of my hard-earned dosh to give to Alko! It's only a matter of reversing up to the 'van as square-on as is possible, open the rear door just enough to clear the raising of the stabiliser handle, lower the 'van onto the towball, lock the stabiliser handle back down and shut the door.

I agree with you Wirral Tourer, it is all very much an afterthought on behalf of AL-ko.

Cheers,

Tim

• 1 month later...
Hi all,

Well, had our first outing at the weekend with the Nissan Terrano towing the Swift Corniche (towed it like a dream), and to be honest whilst there is a problem with the Alko stabiliser it's not that much of a problem that necessitates £25 of my hard-earned dosh to give to Alko!  It's only a matter of reversing up to the 'van as square-on as is possible, open the rear door just enough to clear the raising of the stabiliser handle, lower the 'van onto the towball, lock the stabiliser handle back down and shut the door.

I agree with you Wirral Tourer, it is all very much an afterthought on behalf of AL-ko.

Cheers,

Tim

15901[/snapback]

Having finally towed with our Terrano I'm inclined to agree with you Tim.

Hitching with the stabilser wasn't too much of an ordeal, and certainly not enough to mean £25 for a new handle.

One thought entered my head, perhaps diiferent makes of tow bar mean the position & height of the ball will be different from car to car, increasing or reducing the problem??

My car has a Towequipe bar, and with the alko ball on the lowest mountings the problem is minimal, but if I used the higher set I could see it being a bigger problem.