Swift Auto Fill

bigbilly

Can anybody explain to me how the Swift Autofil works for the on board water storage tank ? Can you opt to not use it if required ?

Most of our caravanning is done without EHU's so I use the external pump directly from the aquaroll facility. To use the internal pump and the on board tank requires 'battery power' to fill the tank and again to empty it. When on EHU's we use the full facilities including internal pump and on board tank.

Bill

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure which caravan you have but on our van there is a switchable valve which means you can bypass the onboard tank. I would think you have one too.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Thanks

We have a Bessacarr and it is an easy job to switch between pumps and hence aquaroll or on board. Previously we had a Swift where you had to switch a valve under the front seat but you could still select either option.

I was just worried about the term 'Auto' , on the Swift literature, which suggested to me something that happens without any human intervention !

Bill

The “Autofil” system is designed to automatically refill the inboard tank, from an external source. The system functions using an external pump, to pump water from an aquaroll (or similar) to the inboard tank. The inboard pump then draws water from the tank to the taps.

The automatic side of the system is that when the tank drops below ½ full, and there is an external water source present, the tank will automatically refill. It is possible to disable the autofill system, by not connecting the external pump to the external water inlet.

Thanks

Andy

Swift Group Website: www. swiftgroup. co. uk

Swift Group Handbooks: www. swiftgroup. co. uk/caravans/handbooks

The “Autofil†system is designed to automatically refill the inboard tank, from an external source. The system functions using an external pump, to pump water from an aquaroll (or similar) to the inboard tank. The inboard pump then draws water from the tank to the taps.

The automatic side of the system is that when the tank drops below ½ full, and there is an external water source present, the tank will automatically refill. It is possible to disable the autofill system, by not connecting the external pump to the external water inlet.

Thanks

Andy

Andy

Thanks very much. I'm now OK with the autofil system and sounds ideal. Does it switch off when it is full as now I often switch on the tank fill switch and wander off and forget it and it empties the aquaroll !!

But if it is possible to disable the autofill system, by not connecting the external pump to the external water inlet I assume that you can't use the water from the outside source directly and by pass the on board tank as I do now ??

Sorry if I have misunderstood !!

Bill

Edited by bigbilly

Andy

Thanks very much. I'm now OK with the autofil system and sounds ideal. Does it switch off when it is full as now I often switch on the tank fill switch and wander off and forget it and it empties the aquaroll !!

But if it is possible to disable the autofill system, by not connecting the external pump to the external water inlet I assume that you can't use the water from the outside source directly and by pass the on board tank as I do now ??

Bill

Andy,

You can disable the Auto-fill system by a switch, that on my caravan, a Conqueror, was in the wardrobe. You can also still use a water supply from an outside source and by-pass the tank. Its just a matter of turning the by-pass valves under the seat at the front.

Hope this helps.

Peter

On my 2009 model the "bypass" valves are NOT fitted and the system cannot be made to run directly from an external source . ...interestingly there was a very clear diagram attached to the rear of the front locker teling me exactly how to do the bypassing . . only the valves didn't exist !!!

If you have the bypass valves the methodology of switching can be found here. .. page 3 of 18 (page 37 of the handbook)

The autofill is described on the next page . . 4 of 18 or page 38 of the handbook

http://www. swiftgroup. co. uk/uploads/HandBo. ..%20Services. pdf

HTH

Edited by Entwood

on the manual fill 2008 models you can by-pass the on-board tank, but a post last week by "Abbey Habit" says that this is not possible on the auto fill system.

sorry. ....cannot do links!

Jennifer

Sterling Elite Searcher, Volvo XC90 SE D5 Auto

Interesting Peter

What model and year Conqueror do you have.

Mine is a 2008 540 and I have no such facility.

Interested to know !

Andy,

You can disable the Auto-fill system by a switch, that on my caravan, a Conqueror, was in the wardrobe. You can also still use a water supply from an outside source and by-pass the tank. Its just a matter of turning the by-pass valves under the seat at the front.

Hope this helps.

Peter

Woody3

2008 Swift Conqueror 540

Kia Sportage XS 2. 7 with LPG conversion.

Andy

Bill

Bill,

Yes, the “autofil” system will switch itself off, when either the tank is full or 15 minutes have elapsed, so you can leave it on "automatic", and it will manage itself. You are also correct, the system (either via an aquaroll or mains inlet) will always fill the inboard tank, and then draw the water from this tank.

This system was designed to replace the manual valves, found in 2008 models, because of feedback from our customers.

I hope that helps.

Ash

Swift Group Website: www. swiftgroup. co. uk

Swift Group Handbooks: www. swiftgroup. co. uk/caravans/handbooks

On my 2009 model the "bypass" valves are NOT fitted and the system cannot be made to run directly from an external source . ...interestingly there was a very clear diagram attached to the rear of the front locker teling me exactly how to do the bypassing . . only the valves didn't exist !!!

If you have the bypass valves the methodology of switching can be found here. .. page 3 of 18 (page 37 of the handbook)

The autofill is described on the next page . . 4 of 18 or page 38 of the handbook

http://www. swiftgroup. co. uk/uploads/HandBo. ..%20Services. pdf

HTH

I too had the same sticker on my 2009 spectrum, even the man at the dealers who did the handover went into great details about the various tap positions to divert the pumped water, he scrambled about on his knees for a while then mumbled something about them being at the back of the locker and moved on to more simple things. It was only when i read the handbook that i found it was automatic and the sticker a red herring!

In a nut shell the only way you can get water out of the taps on an autofill model is to fill the inboard tank i. e via the lift pump which drops into your aquaroll. You cannot bypass this tank nor get any water out of the taps if the onboard tank is empty.

Im not sure why this has changed from the 'switchable' system but having used it the principle seems to work well other than it takes a fair bit of water and a few trips to the water tap to fill the onboard tank, the hot water tank and finally another 40 litres in the aquaroll.

I too had the same sticker on my 2009 spectrum, even the man at the dealers who did the handover went into great details about the various tap positions to divert the pumped water, he scrambled about on his knees for a while then mumbled something about them being at the back of the locker and moved on to more simple things. It was only when i read the handbook that i found it was automatic and the sticker a red herring!

In a nut shell the only way you can get water out of the taps on an autofill model is to fill the inboard tank i. e via the lift pump which drops into your aquaroll. You cannot bypass this tank nor get any water out of the taps if the onboard tank is empty.

Im not sure why this has changed from the 'switchable' system but having used it the principle seems to work well other than it takes a fair bit of water and a few trips to the water tap to fill the onboard tank, the hot water tank and finally another 40 litres in the aquaroll.

By what I hear the system seems fine and less to worry about. .

It's just that for a quick one nighter on our way to somewhere or when we are trying to conserve the life of the battery, when not on EHU, it is quite handy to have the ability to use the outside pump in the aquaroll directly.

Bill

By what I hear the system seems fine and less to worry about. .

It's just that for a quick one nighter on our way to somewhere or when we are trying to conserve the life of the battery, when not on EHU, it is quite handy to have the ability to use the outside pump in the aquaroll directly.

Bill

you can still do that bill, it just comes to the taps via the OBT (you started the acronyms!), you dont have to literally fill the OBT to the brim, it will still pump through. Just pretend its not there and dangle yours in the aquaroll. You still need at least 12v whatever your arrangement.

We left about 4 pints in our OBT for a journey home so we were able to stop and have a cuppa, which is definately easier than faffing in a layby with the aquaroll.

you can still do that bill, it just comes to the taps via the OBT (you started the acronyms!), you dont have to literally fill the OBT to the brim, it will still pump through. Just pretend its not there and dangle yours in the aquaroll. You still need at least 12v whatever your arrangement.

We left about 4 pints in our OBT for a journey home so we were able to stop and have a cuppa, which is definately easier than faffing in a layby with the aquaroll.

My current van, 2006 Bessacarr, uses the 12v power to fill the OBT every time you want to put water in and uses 12v power again when you use the water for the taps from it.

The only difference being that I can select outside pump for using direct from the aquaroll or internal pump for using from the OBT. The internal pump although a tad noisier in the mornings is much more powerful and ideal for using the shower.

Bill

So the 2009 Conqueror range CAN'T by-pass the on-board tank - so even if you just want to use water at a short stop you have to fill the tank (and then empty it before travel) - is my understanding correct? If so this isn't progress, is it?

The battery will pump the water twice - once to the tank and second to the tap.

I would suggest if the battery isn't sufficient for an overnight stop, you have a problem with the battery.

The process isn't complicated. ..

1. Fill the Aquaroll by the amount expected to be consumed overnight.

2. Connect Aqauroll to Caravan.

3. Caravan automatically fills the On-board Tank until the Aqauroll is empty.

4. Optional - Put Aquaroll away for a quick start in the morning.

5. Use water a normal from the On-board tank.

6. Optional - empty remaining water before setting off in the morning.

I always use the water from the tank and have a few litres for use en route but its not progress if you want to use it direct from the aquaroll

Personally I never do that but some people are in the habit of doing so B)

BMW X3 X Drive and Swift Challenger 580SE

I would suggest if the battery isn't sufficient for an overnight stop, you have a problem with the battery.

The OP wasn't concerned about battery capacity for one night - they're trying to conserve battery for use during a longer holiday without EHU - pumping twice (three times if emptying is included) doesn't save the battery.

It's not the overnight stops as much as 5 - 8 days without EHU's. Although I have a large solar panel we often go away for a weekend, where we don't bother with the panel, and then stay on longer than intended.

Bill

I think a lot of people would like the option of being able to pump from an outside source and if you cant with the latest auto system then at least the 2008 system with the valves is a more flexible system.

The main probable we had with the valve system on our 08 van was not changing the valves over but the actual location of the valves.

We had to remove a few pieces of upholstery just to get to the valves as they were in the front offside corner bed box. Obviously no thought whatsover had gone into the siting of these valves. I solved this by re-positioning of the valves/pipework so they were just behind the bed box drop down flap. A friend with the same van also did this mod.

Now the main downside is stopping the water supply when the tank is full

I always use the water from the tank and have a few litres for use en route but its not progress if you want to use it direct from the aquaroll

Personally I never do that but some people are in the habit of doing so B)

John

That was my point entirely.

There has been much debate on forums about the merits of on board tanks or not and I just thought that for the last 2 Swift caravans that I have owned I had the beauty of an option.

In the Swift it was an electrical switch and a water valve switch in my current Bessacarr it apparently is fitted with an electronic valve so there is just the electrical switch.

The other interesting thing is that I asked on this forum because the supplying dealer and another large Swift dealer, in my area, did not understand how I operated or what features the 'autfil' had ! Just hope it never goes wrong !!

Bill

Roger

Yes I have a 2008 Conqueror 540 and agree with your comments.

I too will be altering the pipework and valve layout to be more easily reached.

How did Swift arrive at this in the first place. ....did no-one think golly gosh ! this is awkward lets put in a few extra centimetres of pipe and position valves where customers can reach them without removing the upholstery and slats and pulling aged muscles ?

I do sometimes ask myself if the designers are actual caravanners or Accountants !

Does any seasoned caravanner from Swift actually trial new caravans and systems before production ?

Also the tank has a sensor that detects the level of water in the tank. I have asked before why this could not be adapted to auto pump in from aquaroll when nearing empty, but as you say it would need a cut out so as not to overfill and also there would need to be water in the aquaroll or the pump would no doubt fail unless another sensor said "oh dear no water available so lets switch off "

These things are sent to try us and invent a DIY solution that could have been easily incorporated at manufacture.

After all it did cost £16k !

Woody3

2008 Swift Conqueror 540

Kia Sportage XS 2. 7 with LPG conversion.

Roger

Yes I have a 2008 Conqueror 540 and agree with your comments.

I too will be altering the pipework and valve layout to be more easily reached.

How did Swift arrive at this in the first place. ....did no-one think golly gosh ! this is awkward lets put in a few extra centimetres of pipe and position valves where customers can reach them without removing the upholstery and slats and pulling aged muscles ?

I do sometimes ask myself if the designers are actual caravanners or Accountants !

Does any seasoned caravanner from Swift actually trial new caravans and systems before production ?

Also the tank has a sensor that detects the level of water in the tank. I have asked before why this could not be adapted to auto pump in from aquaroll when nearing empty, but as you say it would need a cut out so as not to overfill and also there would need to be water in the aquaroll or the pump would no doubt fail unless another sensor said "oh dear no water available so lets switch off "

These things are sent to try us and invent a DIY solution that could have been easily incorporated at manufacture.

After all it did cost £16k !

That is EXACTLY what happens on the new auto-fill systems . ... if the on-board tank gets to 1/2 the external pump is switched on automatically and runs until EITHER the on-board tank is full OR for 15 minutes . .. whichever occurs first. .. this is to prevent the pump burning out.

So perhaps the designers have been listening to someone ???

I gave a link to the handbook in a previous post . .. but this is the relevant bit . .

Once the internal water tank is full, shown by the display on the control panel, the external pump will switch off, and the solenoid valve be closed to prevent further water flowing into the tank.

Please note that the system will not run the external umbilical pump for more than 15 minutes, to prevent any damage to the pump, if the external water source is empty. If the pump has been running for longer than 15 minutes, a warning will be displayed on the control panel. However, using the pump button on the control panel, the system can be restarted by switching the system off and then on again.

When the caravan is in use, each time the water level drops below ½, the tank filling procedure

will be repeated until the internal tank level again is registered as full. The user does not need to intervene into this process, other than maintain an external supply.

:)

Edited by Entwood

Doesn't seem that long ago when Auto Fill meant someone spotting the bucket was empty so going to the tap to fill up!

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.