Methanol Power Cells

Margaret1

We have just bought a new caravan, an Elddis Super Cyclone, with movers fitted to it. We are now contemplating having a Methanol Power Cell fitted, as we mainly use CL's and CS's. I use an electric wheelchair that needs recharging most days. Up to now we have had to use sites with el h/up if staying longer than one night, because of my needs.

Do any other members have experience using power cells??

I know they are an expensive outlay, but have found somewhere where we can purchase the methanol a lot cheaper then the caravan dealers. We plan on taking 2X110amp unnamed battery supplier batteries to use with it.

Would be grateful for any advice or thoughts on these

Thanks

Margaret 1

Margaret 1

Elddis Supercyclone and Toyota Hiace 2. 5 TD WAV

I don't think methanol power cells are commercially available yet, they're still at the research stage.

http://www. theregister. co. uk/2008/10/07/pe. ..le_power_prize/

Hydrogen power cells are available for motorhomes, they're in the £3,000+ range.

Some 60% of CLs have electric hook up so those who choose/need mains don't have to give up caravanning.

We have just bought a new caravan, an Elddis Super Cyclone, with movers fitted to it. We are now contemplating having a Methanol Power Cell fitted, as we mainly use CL's and CS's. I use an electric wheelchair that needs recharging most days. Up to now we have had to use sites with el h/up if staying longer than one night, because of my needs.

Do any other members have experience using power cells??

I know they are an expensive outlay, but have found somewhere where we can purchase the methanol a lot cheaper then the caravan dealers. We plan on taking 2X110amp unnamed battery supplier batteries to use with it.

Would be grateful for any advice or thoughts on these

Thanks

Margaret 1

I assume you are looking at the Efoy unit. All of the reports I've read have been very favourable. I believe that if you use anything but Efoy's own methanol you will lose the guarantee. Not sure how they would know.

Mike

I assume you are looking at the Efoy unit. All of the reports I've read have been very favourable. I believe that if you use anything but Efoy's own methanol you will lose the guarantee. Not sure how they would know.

Mike

Hello Mike

Yes it is the Efoy we are looking at, and I have found at least one sales place that will supply it me VAT free!! Have also found a supplier of methanol that will deliver, at a fraction of the price Efoy charge for their methanol!! Just waiting to hear back from a couple of other suppliers of the units which I found were doing it much cheaper than the recommended price, so hopefully can get one for under £2000.

Will let you know how we get on with it

Regards

Margaret

Margaret 1

Elddis Supercyclone and Toyota Hiace 2. 5 TD WAV

i think the Efoy units come in different power outputs but they can deliver 1600W per day or charge the battery with 123Amps (hopefuly someone else will come along to chack my calculations!).

You have to work out the usage for your caravan and then the usage of your wheelchair. Add them together and if they are greater than 123 then this unit will not work for you. However if you really want to go away off hookup and your electricity needs are great, then you can buy two!! though the cost would be incredible.

Regards

Lee

Please note that my opinions stated are those of an enthusiast not an expert and humble at that

2006 Hyundai Sante Fe towing a Coachman Vision 580/5