Post Office Motor Insurance Warning

rog

I took out a motor insurance policy for a cheap runabout car last year. I'm selling the car so wont be renewing the insurance. On reading the small print on the renewal notice, it states - Your Policy Will Be Renewed Automatically. This means that unless I cancel the policy I will be liable to pay the renewal premium. I have never heard of such a liberty. Needless to say I telephoned followed by a letter to cancell. After over 40 years of driving and changing insurance companies many times just by letting the old policy expire and taking out a new one I have never come across this before. So anyone insured with POST OFFICE cancell if you dont want to renew. The other thing that I found annoying was customer services told me this was explained to me when I took out the policy. Total rubbish, I am signing off now because I'm getting myself even more annoyed. Rog

If you read the small print, a lot of insurance companies will renew automatically if you pay by debit / credit card.

Also breakdown cover will be renewed automatically if paid by card

Sam

Hyundai Terracan pulling a Burstner Trecento 530 easily
I thought I saw a light at the end of the tunnel, but it was somone with a torch

I always tell them during the course of the purchasing call that I want the automatic renewal waived as a condition of purchase.

Has always worked so far with the noteable exeption of M&S who are a total nightmare. They denied I had asked for waiver, I insisted that they retrieved the recording of the original call. It took them a week to listen to the recording. I had to call them 3 times during that week, they then said that their operative was wrong to agree to the waiver and then took a further 3 weeks to credit the money back to my card.

I would not use M&S insurance again if they were paying me!

Cheers

Keith

As above, a lot of companies are doing this now. A couple of years back I phoned Hastings to tell them NOT to automatically renew my wife's policy, about a fortnight before it was due to end/be automatically renewed. Needless to say they still took the money. I wasn't a happy bunney. What really annoyed me was that the girl I first spoke to tried to imply that the fault was mine for not 'cancelling' early enough, I wasn't cancelling, just trying to stop an automatic renewal! :angry:

I've just had this too with Bell, who sent the usually gumph . ... 'to continue with us you need do nothing etc'. I phoned them to tell them NOT to auto renew, so he said 'you need to send back the ins policy we've just sent you'. They hadn't actually sent a return addressed envelope, like they said they would, but I told them that as they sent a plicy that I hadn't actually requested it was going in the same place as all the other sh1te that comes through the door . .... in my shredder. :angry:

Just got back from a weekend away in the caravan to find another letter from Bell asking for their ins policy. I did suggest that they were more than welcome to the contents of my shredder if they really wanted it. :rolleyes: . I am not going to the efforrt of sending back something I did NOT request!

. ....... and breathe ;)

Lunar Delta 520/2 towed by Omega 3. 0 Elite

I cant see it as a problem to be honest.

You get the renewal paperwork through a couple of weeks before the renewal date. If your happy do nothing, if your not you phone up to cancel. At which point they normally offer you a better price .

Sorted.

You get the renewal paperwork through a couple of weeks before the renewal date. If your happy do nothing, if your not you phone up to cancel. At which point they normally offer you a better price .
Sorted.

I don't think the onus should be on you to stop something that AN Other insurance company has set up. It's rather presumptuous of the companies to expect that you're going to autmatically renew with them. Also when they mess up and still take the money despite you phoning & telling them not to auto renew. mad.gif

Hi,

I think that automatic renewal works well. ..whenI request it! I certainly don't want it to be the default option but, as Adrian says you should have plenty of chance to cancel,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

As a double safeguard - if I cancel a policy like this over the phone, the next thing I always do is contact my bank (via their website usually) and cancel my direct debit. Then the insurance company should not be able to take any more money from my account.

As a double safeguard - if I cancel a policy like this over the phone, the next thing I always do is contact my bank (via their website usually) and cancel my direct debit. Then the insurance company should not be able to take any more money from my account.

Remember that if you have paid by "Creditcard" your bank will not be able to stop the transaction, you will need to contact your card provider.

GPS

Sorted.

Agree with that - I have just changed from the C & CC - they e-mailed me about 3 weeks before it expired to remind me, sent me a new quote by e-mail, rang me to follow up - when I told them not renewing, no problem although on the morning after the expiry another e-mail arrived to make sure I was aware I was not covered. Seemed quite good.

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

The other thing to watch is companies who don't cover the towing of a caravan, or only cover caravans up to a set length - I was caught out by this despite asking the question to the call centre when taking the policy out.

Agree with that - I have just changed from the C & CC - they e-mailed me about 3 weeks before it expired to remind me, sent me a new quote by e-mail, rang me to follow up - when I told them not renewing, no problem although on the morning after the expiry another e-mail arrived to make sure I was aware I was not covered. Seemed quite good.

That's not the same thing. Continuance renewal means that unless you contact them, they will automatically take money to continue insuring your car/'van/etc etc. I've had the same from other companies writting & phoning you to remind you, if you ignore them nothing happens, however if you ignore the continual renewal letters then you automatically have money from your account and you stay insured with the ins co. And as said, it's not impossible for them to get it wrong and take money from your bank/credit card despite telling them otherwise - got the T shirt! ;)

The other thing to watch is companies who don't cover the towing of a caravan, or only cover caravans up to a set length - I was caught out by this despite asking the question to the call centre when taking the policy out.

Hi tigger,

I think that it's good policiy to have any conversation backed up in print as it could be the operator's word against yours in case of any supposed transgressions,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

• 4 years later...

I do the same. If you have cancelled the DD they can't get there money. Job sorted and I use internet banking as well. I pay by monthly DD so the credit card is only used for the deposit and I understand they cannot use it again to start taking premiums.

Edited by pagan

Sorted.

:goodpost:

Claire always sorts ours out as she is the main driver, renewal came through around 3 weeks ago, quotes from others obtained, quick call to present (now old) company saying they are too expensive, they laughed when she said how much and quite rudely said no way can we match that your policy will not continue. Job sorted and almost 300 quid stayed in the bank.

I would never automatically continue, insurance is pretty cut throat, but there is usually someone willing to undercut.

But best part of 300 less for a few calls to others makes it worth while.

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.

Sorted.

I agree with Adrian,

I would sooner have it automatically renewed than risk having it on the MID and being pulled over by the police

Imagine someone getting ready to go on holiday and they found damp in the caravan while it was being serviced and this is at the same time as the insurance renewal, he has to have the van sorted before they go so he's putting pressure on the dealer to get it done while his family are putting pressure on him as they don't want to cancel their holiday.

He completely forgets about his car insurance.

The warranty work on the caravan is sorted and they're finally going on holiday. While driving down the motorway a camera spots the reg number and according to the motor insurance database it doesn't have insurance. Shortly afterwords he's pulled over by the police for having no insurance.

The cars impounded and they have impound chargers until they sort out some insurance

It may be far fetched but I'd sooner have automatically renewals and the option to cancel rather than me having to remember to renew

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I'm happy to have insurers renew automatically as long as they give reasonable notice of the renewal premium.

I once assumed that my home insurance renewed automatically and it wasn't until nearly 12 months later when I was searching for the policy that I realised that I hadn't been covered. OK, saved a year's premium but the thought of what a financial mess I'd been risking :blink:

Land Rover is now back towing.

The really annoying thing with Hastings (and a lot of others nowadays) is that to ring them you have to use an 0844 number and hang in a queue at ten pence a minute listening to how important my call is to them.

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

Remember that if you have paid by "Creditcard" your bank will not be able to stop the transaction, you will need to contact your card provider.

GPS

Any recurring card payment is initiated by the supplier of the goods or services and can only be stopped by them as each is a unique transaction using your card details. The only way to stop them is to contact the company that is taking the money and tell them to stop. This is particularly true with debit cards as the card issuer has no liability if you started the payments as it is not a credit agreement.

Pre-pay cards are the win here as you only put enough money on them for the transaction you are making.

The really annoying thing with Hastings (and a lot of others nowadays) is that to ring them you have to use an 0844 number and hang in a queue at ten pence a minute listening to how important my call is to them.

http://www. saynoto0870. com/

For Android handsets; https://play. google. com/store/search?q=say+no+to+0844

Edited by Trevor Marron

Has the revolution finally begun?

I always want automatic renewal. If I am away from home and forget at least I am covered. Normally get the renewal notice at least 3 weeks before renewal. Usually you have 2 weeks after renewal to cancel with money deducted pro-rata.

Any recurring card payment is initiated by the supplier of the goods or services and can only be stopped by them as each is a unique transaction using your card details. The only way to stop them is to contact the company that is taking the money and tell them to stop. This is particularly true with debit cards as the card issuer has no liability if you started the payments as it is not a credit agreement.

I normally have them taken by bank standing order or direct debit that I can cancel from my end.

Edited by Easy T

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Pre-pay cards are the win here as you only put enough money on them for the transaction you are making.

http://www. saynoto0870. com/

For Android handsets; https://play. google. com/store/search?q=say+no+to+0844

Yep great site but they don't have a number for Hastings

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

Nice to see a 4 year old post make a resurrection. ...

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

Yep great site but they don't have a number for Hastings

Hastings Direct 0844 879 3033 01424 739315 Some of the other numbers on the site did not work for me - redirected me to the 0844 number. This one did work as of 25th August 2011.

Hastings Direct 0844 879 3033 0800 111066

Hastings Direct 0844 879 3033 01424 735779 When I rang 01424 739315 this took me to claims - however the kind gentleman gave me this alternative number, and it worked!

Hastings Direct 0844 800 4585 01424 735735 Also for 08448000722 and 0844 879 3033

Hastings Direct 0844 879 3033 01424 735779 This number worked fine for me today 7. 6. 12 for customer services

Hastings Direct 0844 879 3033 0800 111066 New and existing customers

Hastings Direct 0844 879 3033 01424 739338 As of the 6/3/13 this number for hastings direct's customer relations worked. they also dropped my £20 default charge.

All from the site.

Has the revolution finally begun?