Wet Bailey Ranger

Gaz40

Hello Folks

Just picked up our 2005 Bailey Ranger yesterday (a week before its fourth anniversary) for the dealer to explain to me that I've Got 100% damp in the tops of the Front Left & Right Side Panels and also below the Right Window. Needles to say we're gutted, the dealer has spoken to bailey to request the van to go back to them for repair, so we have to sit back and wait, The dealer reckons it will take approx six weeks for the repair, we have all this summer booked (seasonal pitches and touring into October) This is our first Caravan that we bought brand new and had to wait six months for. When the van was 18 months old the inside of the front window cracked at the hinge, this stress crack got worse every time we towed the van, compromising the windows integrity therefore its safety. We had to wait almost three months for a replacement, which stopped us touring virtually for the summer.

We had plans to order a new Pageant Sancerre at the end of the season (fell in love with the freedom of caravanning) but now having second thoughts with Baileys reliability and the fact that if you had one or two problems you be off the road more than on it. We both work for a major French car manufacture and it would never be accepted for repairs to take such a long time.

Anyone else with the same problem ??

Gaza40

Oh dear, there seems to be a lot of wet Bailey threads at the moment :unsure:, I had better cross my fingers.

We had a 2006 Ranger but had no dampness problems. Hope they sort it out quickly for you so that not all of the season is lost

Ford Kuga Powershift AWD. Bailey Senator Indiana Series 6

Hello Folks

Just picked up our 2005 Bailey Ranger yesterday (a week before its fourth anniversary) for the dealer to explain to me that I've Got 100% damp in the tops of the Front Left & Right Side Panels and also below the Right Window. Needles to say we're gutted, the dealer has spoken to bailey to request the van to go back to them for repair, so we have to sit back and wait, The dealer reckons it will take approx six weeks for the repair, we have all this summer booked (seasonal pitches and touring into October) This is our first Caravan that we bought brand new and had to wait six months for. When the van was 18 months old the inside of the front window cracked at the hinge, this stress crack got worse every time we towed the van, compromising the windows integrity therefore its safety. We had to wait almost three months for a replacement, which stopped us touring virtually for the summer.

We had plans to order a new Pageant Sancerre at the end of the season (fell in love with the freedom of caravanning) but now having second thoughts with Baileys reliability and the fact that if you had one or two problems you be off the road more than on it. We both work for a major French car manufacture and it would never be accepted for repairs to take such a long time.

Gaza40

Gaz,I'd actually consider Bailey's response to the problem to be 100% appropriate, and I've got no problems considering another Bailey when we come to replace this one. The Warranty on the bodywork seems watertight (sorry about the pun) and even though repairs do seem to take some time, at least with the factory on it, with a beefed up front panel AFAIK, then it should be as new.

Ranger's of the 2004/5 vintage seem to have this problem as an added extra, numerous have had new front panels, mine is done & dusted and hopefully fit for several more years - ours went after 3 years.

"Scars are souvenirs you never loose"

2010 Swift Charisma Freestyle 550 + 2007 Nissan Pathfinder Aventura.

Gaz,I'd actually consider Bailey's response to the problem to be 100% appropriate, and I've got no problems considering another Bailey when we come to replace this one. The Warranty on the bodywork seems watertight (sorry about the pun) and even though repairs do seem to take some time, at least with the factory on it, with a beefed up front panel AFAIK, then it should be as new.

Ranger's of the 2004/5 vintage seem to have this problem as an added extra, numerous have had new front panels, mine is done & dusted and hopefully fit for several more years - ours went after 3 years.

Thanks both for your replies. Do you think its the front panel causing the damp ?. Haven't been told where the leak is coming from, just that it needed drying out with replacement wall boards. We haven't had an official reply from Bailey yet. the dealers only submitted a request for repair.

We've relaxed a bit now with the problem and we trust the dealer, they have always given us excellent service and they have told us that we can continue to use the van. If Bailey sort this problem out effectively and it doesn't have to much impact on our touring, we will probably order another bailey. Just waiting for their reply (lets wait and see)

ps. what's a AFAIK front panel ?

Regards Gaz

Hello Folks

Gaza40

A week has passed since being told that I had 100%damp in three places on my Ranger and no one has yet contacted me to arrange the return of the van to Bailey for repair. Initially after feeling gutted that the van had damp we felt re-assured that everything would be sorted out by Bailey.

We are now having seconds thoughts, I've read various posts back to 2006 and it seems that there are serious problems with Rangers and Discovery's built around 2004-2005 with cracking front and rear panels and also cracking front windows at the top right hinge point (there seems to be a link with cracking front panels and front window problems)

I will contact the dealer and Bailey Monday morning to see what is happening. In all honesty I'm losing confidence in Bailey's reliability (we would want our next van to last more than four years) so at this point, we cannot see us ordering a new Pageant Sancerre.

Gaz40

Hi Gaz,

Unfortunately there is a problem with certain Bailey caravans built around that time and rest assured they ARE addressing the problem and have at least identified the cause. Which I wont go into but can safely say its not down to poor workmanship or sub standard equipment.

The problem is the size of the factory in Bristol for repairing such caravans is limited and there is at present a back log for factory repairs.

When I say they are addressing the problem, I mean you are not being forgotten about or put on the back burner, but things are being put in place to enable Dealers and Mobiles to do the repairs as per Bailey spec, which involves training days for the said people.

This will take time to be put in place.

As regards your van they will probably be looking at the extent of the repair and working out when they are able to fit you in.

All I can say is dont worry as it will be like new when done.

Ant ;)

Atom

If it sounds too good to be true-----it probably is !!!

Thanks Ant for the reassurance. (Your obviously in the know with these Bailey Problems)

Rang our dealer today and Bailey have given us a date in mid July for the return and repair of our Ranger. This date falls at the start of two holidays we're taking around that time, but after speaking to our Dealer they have arranged an alternative date for repair after our holidays. So thanks to our Dealers After Sales Team and Bailey Caravans.

Looking forward now to the summer season and hopefully a long relationship with other Bailey products.

Gaz40