Mandatory Light Needn't Work.

Hi,

I doubt this will apply to many members of this site . ..... but you never know.

I have fitted a wider body to my old Sankey trailer. I didn't know at the time that a trailer over 1. 3m wide requires a rear fog lamp. Doh, it was originally 1. 2m wide, now its 1. 5m wide. I tow it with a 1960 Land Rover, which never had a rear fog lamp, and remains exempt from needing one. In this situation I have read that my trailer still requires a fog lamp, but it needn't work.

Does that mean I can just nail (wooden box :rolleyes: ) a fog lamp on the back, or do I have to wire it into the 7-pin plug?

I did try to find a trailer board to fit a 5ft wide trailer, couldn't find "no such animal". Those that were 4ft wide would have placed ALL the lamps too far from side of trailer. And the 4. 5ft (1350mm) wide boards didn't have rear fog lamps. ??????

Edited by Grandpa Steve
Duplicate threads merged as seperate responses on each, duplicate posts deleted - GPS

I would say that the light needs to be wired up so that if the trailer is towed with a vehicle with fog lights, all works.

It doesn't have to work when towed with your Land Rover because the Land Rover is exempt from fog light laws.

Lunar Zenith Citroen C5 2. 2 HDI Citroen Picasso 1. 6 HDI. , Vauxhall Vectra Design 150 bhp Soon to be, 2014 Sprite Major 4 sr. With ATC.
The Internet has had no effect on my life whatsoever. com

About a couple of years ago there was an article in the C&CC magazine stating that if a fog lamp was fitted (they were writing about a caravan) then, by law, it had to work.

When we first purchased our present car we had a towbar fitted. Our caravan at that time did not have a fog light so the towbar fitter didn't bother wiring up the link for a fog lamp. We now have a caravan with a fog light so we had get the wiring link done.

About a couple of years ago there was an article in the C&CC magazine stating that if a fog lamp was fitted (they were writing about a caravan) then, by law, it had to work.

When we first purchased our present car we had a towbar fitted. Our caravan at that time did not have a fog light so the towbar fitter didn't bother wiring up the link for a fog lamp. We now have a caravan with a fog light so we had get the wiring link done.

That's correct - but that's a mandatory light - if your car is new enough to require a foglight AND the trailer is new enough to require a foglight, then the trailer's foglight must work.

The specific exemption is an older car towing a newer caravan - the caravan's foglight doesn't have to work if the car is old enough not to require a foglight.

Hey 602, fancy meeting you here!

I reckon you could go down 1 of 2 routes.

1. nail on the fog light and wire it into the plug so it will work on a fog light equipped vehicle - spirit and letter of the law, or

2. Do what I've done for Volvanimal (6x6 ex military 24v truck) buy a set of prewired magnetic trailer lights without the trailer board like this one

magnetic lights on ebay

and glue/nail a pair of metal plates to your trailer.

I have done this to my Caravan so I don't have to swap bulbs when towing using the Volvo. Let's not go into how towing an 18' caravan with a 18' vehicle on country roads really hacks boy racers off.

See you on Differs

Hey 602, fancy meeting you here!

I reckon you could go down 1 of 2 routes.

1. nail on the fog light and wire it into the plug so it will work on a fog light equipped vehicle - spirit and letter of the law, or

2. Do what I've done for Volvanimal (6x6 ex military 24v truck) buy a set of prewired magnetic trailer lights without the trailer board.

Hi,

Trailer is in France and I want to bring it back. I did the same as you, bought magnetic lights, fitted steel plates to the back of my trailer, with turned up edges just in case lamps wanted to slide off. The rear fog lamp is nailed (screwed) to the trailer, but is not wired in. When I get it home, I will fit Ciroen 2CV rear lamps (much better than the usual trailer lamps) and wire everything properly. Fog lamp still won't work behind my Landy tho.

Know what you mean about boy-racers. They usually drive slow close you can't do a heavy stop to dive into a lay-by to get out of their way. Mirror, signal, brake gently . .... oops, lets not bother. :rolleyes: In the recent days of flooding, driving a rented Transit towing 18ft caravan, found road was blocked. I DID manage to do a three-point turn. ...hope the house-holder didn't mind.

I have done this to my Caravan so I don't have to swap bulbs when towing using the Volvo. Let's not go into how towing an 18' caravan with a 18' vehicle on country roads really hacks boy racers off.

See you on Differs

. ........and the motorbikists.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.