Ranger Gt60 540/6

bofus

We have just been to the local dealers to take a closer look at the new Rangers, specifically the GT60 540/6 model as this is most worthwhile upgrade from our existing Bailey

We saw it at the NEC last week, and unusually both of us liked what we saw. Hence the visit today to take a closer look. ...but. ....Whoever signs off the designs for production in Bristol needs to spend a few days in a caravan!

1, The rear compartment is segregated by a sliding wooden partition <so far so good>, but the lack of a warm air heating outlet is a little worrying especially as this compartment is obviously designed for children. An external insulated pipe from the wardrobe base (rear of heater) to the seat base close to the door would suffice.

2. Once again in the rear compartment, high on the nearside is a TV outlet, but no 240v power socket and nowhere obvious to mount even a small TV - do you hang a screen from the ceiling?

3. The table top that converts into the bed base on the nearside is at least 10mm too narrow (between the seat bases) to safely be used, All the 540/6 Rangers instock at the dealer were similarly affected. My 9 yr old son tried using the salesman made up bed for size and promptly fell on the floor between the two seat bases - the salesman was a tadge embarrassed and confirmed that was a design/quality issue

4. How the hell are you meant to use the shower? The shower head would be hard against the door, and the shower of water will be nowhere near the area of the shower where a person or child would be able to stand. Surely a longer shower head or bracket would be required? Also the wood effect cupboard doors don't look as if they would last 5 mins if they got slightly wet, the edge trim was already failing off one door.

The above points stopped me spending money today, none of the above are major technical issues just poor design/ quality control. Is there any chance that things maybe addressed prior to week 19 which we were told is when the next available build will be available.

So close yet so disappointed :(

Gav

We were put off buying one of the new Ranger GT60s for similar reasons together with what we felt was simply poor quality workmanship.

Definitely not what we had been led to expect from Bailey and nowhere as near as good as equivalent Lunar models.

We too were a little disappointed by the GT60 540/6 for similar reasons although we didn't get as far as putting the side bed down and the shower isn't a feature we use other than to fill up the toilet flush tank from.

- In the model we looked at there was a power socket in the rear but it was on the walkway end of the shorter rear seat, ideal for tripping over anything plugged into it!

- We also found the lack of a rear heating duct odd.

Another design feature that confused me was why the cooker is at the lounge end of the work top in reach of any curious children and spitting fat instead of being near the door?

We eventually bought a Pageant Bretagne (we're in the minority that like the darker wood) which is essentially the same just a bit wider and it has a rear heating duct where the GT60's rear plug socket is and the socket is round the corner under the table which is much preferable.

TED

Whoever signs off the designs for production in Bristol needs to spend a few days in a caravan!

Gav

So that's Bristol, Hull, Preston and Co Durham - the problem isn't confined to Bailey - if problems are so obvious that we lay-people can see them just by looking, or after just one day/night living in the caravan, why can't professional caravan designers see it.

Do you think we should all have a whip-round to send caravan designers on caravanning holidays - it would be one of the shrewdest investments we'll ever make.

So that's Bristol, Hull, Preston and Co Durham - the problem isn't confined to Bailey - if problems are so obvious that we lay-people can see them just by looking, or after just one day/night living in the caravan, why can't professional caravan designers see it.

Do you think we should all have a whip-round to send caravan designers on caravanning holidays - it would be one of the shrewdest investments we'll ever make.

Why not do it at the NEC? think of the money they would save on Hotel bills, make them all live in their own vans they are trying to sell to us!

Phil,

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

Quick followup - We went to Chipping Sodbury today as they have the actual NEC demo van.

The rear table actually fits the gap between the seats, at least 10mm better than any other one I have seen.

The overhead cupboards actually latch properly. Not the flimsy 'nearly caught' latching seen on the others

The salesman was actually shocked by the shower head location and the lack of rear heating outlet, so much that he was going to speak with the factory to find out why.

Maybe a Sterling Europa 565 is the answer?

Guest Tephi

YES - I've spent over 40 years working on land and sea using equipment designed by experts and it is usually quite obvious that they have never had to use the equipment themselves.

I returned to caravanning last summer and bought a new Alpine last November [i'm not knocking Swift, from what I have read and seen most manufacturers are the same]. The first thing I noticed was the useful doorstop for the end toilet/washroom - it's called the grill and oven door handles! Guaranteed to perforate the door if it hits them too hard - temporally cured by fitting rubber grommets over the ends of the handles.

If I connect the mains cable in the battery box and shut the door it is almost impossible to reopen as the cutout for the cable in the bottom of the door is not large enough and so pushes the door up jamming the catch. ...................

I could go on, but you are probably well bored by now. :rolleyes:

Edited by Tephi

Take a look at The Bretagne, I wrote a first use review you'll find if you do a search on my name.

Some of the issues you mention are addressed, maybe replaced by others, that's for you to decide, but it must be worth a look as the layouts are the same. Depends on your budget I guess.

Aye, i have read your review previously. And then in true conveyor belt memory, completely forgotten about it.

Re-reading it again it has reminded me of the points you made and how they apply to the Ranger as well. The GT60 is at the top of my price range, the Pageant is just a tadge too high, especially as we will be buying a new awning and cover to suit the longer van.

As I said earlier, indifferent quality assurance and poor attention to detail design prevented me putting £12k into the UK economy this weekend.

Gav

Did you particulary want a triple bunk layout? Maybe take a look at an Adria, should be well within the budget with plenty to spare.

I know what you mean though. On the whole I've been happy with my Bailey and Baileys response to the problems I've found but, you can't help but wonder why some of the things are the way they are.

Update. ..

Gave up trying to get a consistent answer and sensible deal from a local dealer, and the off forum Bailey reply was a little lacking in what we wanted to hear.

Looking around the local dealers we saw a new 2008 made Ace Courier Jubilee - not quite as eye catching as the Ranger GT60 range, but ticked more boxes than the GT60 especially with the saving of over a 1000GBP on the Bailey price.

Well, we didn't buy that either, we have found a 6 month old Ace Jubilee, as new, used for 5 days last September and then unused, complete with Awning, groundsheet, all the little bits that make it ready to go for sensible money - I am not going to say how much but we are very happy.

Sorry Bailey, maybe next time

I've also had problems trying to buy a fault free new Bailey, they expected me to pay for it and submit an instant warranty claim to fix poor build quality.

Edited by Elm6

Aye, i have read your review previously. And then in true conveyor belt memory, completely forgotten about it.

Re-reading it again it has reminded me of the points you made and how they apply to the Ranger as well. The GT60 is at the top of my price range, the Pageant is just a tadge too high, especially as we will be buying a new awning and cover to suit the longer van.

As I said earlier, indifferent quality assurance and poor attention to detail design prevented me putting £12k into the UK economy this weekend.

Gav

Hi Gav

If you have got 12k then I suggest you ring round as many dealers as possible and see if you can get a deal. I paid just short of 11K for my new Bretagne.

I don't think you will get down to that price since I pounced on the 2nd of January and I suspect my cash helped with paying the dealers Christmas holiday wage bill, but it has got to be worth a try.

Duncan