Anyone, Except Me. Got A New Shape Skoda Superb ?

backhojo

I am about to get a towbar for my 1. 8TSi DSG Skoda superb and would welcome "chatting" to anyone who has already got a towbar on a Superb or has knowledge of the subject. I am hoping as it came out as towcar of the year then someone else on here will have bought one ??

see my car at www. backhouse. org. uk

Fair amount of chat about it on www. briskoda. net in the Superb II section.

Was considering a Superb 170 CR 4x4, but the dealer didn't know when they would get one and they gave us an offer on another Octavia we couldn't refuse.

2010 Volvo XC70 D5 SE Lux (2012 V60 D5 All Wheel Drive R Design after March 12!)

2012 Swift Conqueror 480, with Omnivent, Mini Heki in Loo, Mudflaps and ALKO Mammut Mover

Fair amount of chat about it on www. briskoda. net in the Superb II section.

Was considering a Superb 170 CR 4x4, but the dealer didn't know when they would get one and they gave us an offer on another Octavia we couldn't refuse.

yep - and most of the activity is me !!! (jcblincs)

not many caravaners though so though I would try here as well !

Backhojo I cannot remember if it was PC mag or the CC mag but one of them had a test with a VW group car with a DSG gearbox and whilst they said the rest of the car was good they did not find that this gearbox was suitable for towing.

From memory I think it always seemed to be changing gear and never settled down.

yep - and most of the activity is me !!! (jcblincs)

not many caravaners though so though I would try here as well !

Ooops! :D

Hope you get an answer soon.

2010 Volvo XC70 D5 SE Lux (2012 V60 D5 All Wheel Drive R Design after March 12!)

2012 Swift Conqueror 480, with Omnivent, Mini Heki in Loo, Mudflaps and ALKO Mammut Mover

I think I could be quite tempted with a 3. 6V6 4X4 if I can pick one up in a years time. :D

The 1. 8TSi does look a gem of an engine for the performance it gives and the great economy.

I've heard mixed reviews on the DSG for towing but can't comment from personal experience, they are great solo though.

Cheers

Lee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

Backhojo I cannot remember if it was PC mag or the CC mag but one of them had a test with a VW group car with a DSG gearbox and whilst they said the rest of the car was good they did not find that this gearbox was suitable for towing.

From memory I think it always seemed to be changing gear and never settled down.

It was the skoda superb in the towcar of the year awards i think. I read the same article. A bit of a stupid statement by the article authors really because the whole point of the DSG is that you can use it in manual very easily. I also added the steering wheel mounted paddles as an extra and fully intend to use these whilst towing. That way I am effectively driving a clutchless manual and can control when it changes. Also I think mine will behave differently as I am sure it was the diesel they tested. I have the petrol which, apart from different power / torque characteristics also has a 7 speed DSG not the 6 speed.

Please post on this again when you have towed a couple of times.

I have been offered some really tempting deals on these and really fancied the dsg box myself as mags like Autocar rave about it so I was a bit put off by the towcar report so it would be good to hear of someone else's experience.

Test on the Superb 2. 0TD DSG in this months C&CC magazine.

Excellent apart from the DSG which would change up to early with the van on the back. Tester found best solution was to use manual mode while towing.

Gave it 4 out of 5 but said it would have been 5 out of 5 with a manual box.

Cheers

Lee

Edited by logiclee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

. ...... because the whole point of the DSG is that you can use it in manual very easily. I also added the steering wheel mounted paddles as an extra and fully intend to use these whilst towing. That way I am effectively driving a clutchless manual and can control when it changes. . .......

Not wanting to stir up the old 'which is best? auto vs manual debate' but . ...... :rolleyes:

Why buy an 'auto' then if you're going to have to use it manually? Surely the whole point in buying an auto is that you stick it in D and (generally) leave it there.

Lunar Delta 520/2 towed by Omega 3. 0 Elite

B)-->

QUOTE(Andy B @ Mar 4 2009, 06:37 AM) 235657[/snapback]
Not wanting to stir up the old 'which is best? auto vs manual debate' but . ...... :rolleyes:

Why buy an 'auto' then if you're going to have to use it manually? Surely the whole point in buying an auto is that you stick it in D and (generally) leave it there.

Hi Andy,

We are in a similar situation, having an automatic option but driving it manually as that's what we prefer. The reason we bought the car was not for the auto option but because our car isn't available with a full manual gearbox,

regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

I think the issue with auto boxes like the DSG is they do not have a torque converter so do not have torque mulitiplication or degrees of slip. If they change up to early with the van on the back you have no option but to either floor it and induce a down shift or down shift it manually yourself. You don't get the raised revs on through the slip on the torque converter as you do on a conventional auto when you squeeze the accelerator.

Slow speed manouvering isn't as easy either as you have a black box engaging a clutch for you instaed of having a fluid drive on a conventional auto.

I like the DSG boxes as a solo drive and so did the C&CC reviewer but they said you couldn't use it fully auto with a van on the back. I've also read a review of a Passatt with DSG and the review was very similar but added about problems with low speed manouvers and especially reversing when towing as you have little control as to what the car does with the clutch.

Cheers

Lee

I think the issue with auto boxes like the DSG is they do not have a torque converter so do not have torque mulitiplication or degrees of slip. If they change up to early with the van on the back you have no option but to either floor it and induce a down shift or down shift it manually yourself. You don't get the raised revs on through the slip on the torque converter as you do on a conventional auto when you squeeze the accelerator.

Slow speed manouvering isn't as easy either as you have a black box engaging a clutch for you instaed of having a fluid drive on a conventional auto.

I like the DSG boxes as a solo drive and so did the C&CC reviewer but they said you couldn't use it fully auto with a van on the back. I've also read a review of a Passatt with DSG and the review was very similar but added about problems with low speed manouvers and especially reversing when towing as you have little control as to what the car does with the clutch.

Cheers

Lee

Hi Lee,

We're away at the weekend so I'll give it try to see if Citroen's EGS system is the same,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

. ......

The reason we bought the car was not for the auto option but because our car isn't available with a full manual gearbox,

regards,

Ian.

Some one at Citreon does have some sense then!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D

Lunar Delta 520/2 towed by Omega 3. 0 Elite

Hi Lee,

We're away at the weekend so I'll give it try to see if Citroen's EGS system is the same,

Regards,

Ian.

I believe that box is a later version of Alfa's Selespeed from Magnetti Marrelli.

I used to have one and enjoyed it but it was a Marmite car, you either loved it or hated it.

The new boxes are quicker and the software is much more advanced to optimise economy. It's not a dual clutch system like the DSG's but more a computer operated six speed manual with single clutch.

Not had a go in one yet so couldn't comment how far they have advanced.

Cheers

Lee

I believe that box is a later version of Alfa's Selespeed from Magnetti Marrelli.

I used to have one and enjoyed it but it was a Marmite car, you either loved it or hated it.

The new boxes are quicker and the software is much more advanced to optimise economy. It's not a dual clutch system like the DSG's but more a computer operated six speed manual with single clutch.

Not had a go in one yet so couldn't comment how far they have advanced.

Cheers

Lee

Does that make it the same as Vauxhall's Easytronic - sourced from Fiat, it's just an electro-hydraulic automated manual gearbox - it has a poor reliability record in Vauxhalls.

Does that make it the same as Vauxhall's Easytronic - sourced from Fiat, it's just an electro-hydraulic automated manual gearbox - it has a poor reliability record in Vauxhalls.

More like the latest upgraded 6 speed version of that type of gearbox.

They are complex and do have a lot to go wrong but there are reliable versions of this type of gearbox, many manufacturers have them Ferrari, Aston Martin, BMW, Alfa, some others like Ford and Vauxhall have dabbled and now the french are getting in on the act.

Time will tell I suppose.

Cheers

Lee

Thanks Roger, that's cheered me up no end :D,

Regards,

Ian.