Brittany Ferries

We are taking the Portsmouth - St Malo ferry in July. Just wondering if anybody can tell me if the self service restaurants and bars are reasonably priced ? There will be seven of us, I dont want to sound like a skinflint but it is me who will be paying :rolleyes: I hadn't really thought about it until now, we may actually eat before we get on the ferry, it just depends on how the drive from Manchester goes. Any replies would be most welcome.

Regards
Ian

i find the prices on the bf pretty good value, they are vat free and not hiked up, if you go on their web site you can prob download a menu

I got the menu for the main restaurant, but to be honest for the 7 of us it is a bit pricey.

Regards
Ian

From what I remember the proces are reasonable, we've done the overnight crossing a few times to st malo and to be honest by the time you are loaded on etc all we do is have a few drinks in the bar, watch the entertainment and then go to the cabin to get a good nights sleep. We always tend to eat before hand because of the 20. 30 crossing time.

Daytime is a bit different on the return I suppose as there is more time to kill but the beauty of going with your own van is that you can take and preoare food beforehand anyway. I've seen loads of people with a pack up !! It's a great crossing and can't fault it though, we love Brittany Ferries. We're on the Portsmouth - Caen daytime crossing on 3 April and can't wait. It's such a good start to a holiday.

There are, if memory serves, 3 diferent "ways" of eating on most Brittany Ferries

1. Sandwiches/snacks/drinks from the "snack bar"

2. Self service restaurant.

3. Full service restaurant.

We have never used #3, but the menus do look interesting, however I always consider my holiday starts when I have my "Entrecote Bleu" with a glass of Red in the self-service restaurant on the outward ferry . .. unfortunately the same meal on the way home signals the end of the holiday . . :(

IMHO the quality of the food is excellent and the prices reasonable.

From what I remember the proces are reasonable, we've done the overnight crossing a few times to st malo and to be honest by the time you are loaded on etc all we do is have a few drinks in the bar, watch the entertainment and then go to the cabin to get a good nights sleep. We always tend to eat before hand because of the 20. 30 crossing time.

Daytime is a bit different on the return I suppose as there is more time to kill but the beauty of going with your own van is that you can take and preoare food beforehand anyway. I've seen loads of people with a pack up !! It's a great crossing and can't fault it though, we love Brittany Ferries. We're on the Portsmouth - Caen daytime crossing on 3 April and can't wait. It's such a good start to a holiday.

Whenever we go anywhere with the van we take food with us so it's usually sanwiches on the way down, but after a long days drive we will probably fancy something different later in the day. 830pm is late to be eating, hadn't really thought of it like that. We we probably get into Portsmouth early and get a bite to eat there. Which will mean it is just time for drinks when we get on board :D But you made a very good point about the return crossing. Packed lunch it is ! :D

Regards
Ian

Used the full service restaurant many times on Brittany and recommend it. Most ships offer a buffet starter and dessert option which if you're not careful can have you waddling around like a pregnant elephant, as everything is so good. And the prices are about what they would be in this country which, for a captive clientele, seems like a good deal to me.

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2

Hi Ian

We regularly use the Portsmouth Caen Brittany Ferry and always use the Self Service Restaurant.

I don't know how much with starters and dessert but a main course, from memory is around £6. 90.

We generally take bottled water on board with us and there is always chilled drinking water available. Wine and soft drinks will put the price up tremendously.

Don't expect cheap duty free type goods. Their on board shopping is more like Boutique style shops and priced accordingly.

Scales

Paying for the ferry is only one consideration in the cost of a holiday.

Especially if paying for seven.

Scales

It was supposed to be a bit tongue in cheek. I live about 4 miles from portsmouth ferryport but have always travelled from Dover as I won't pay the high prices they charge. I'm not knocking it but having just booked and paid £68 return, I can pay for 3 weeks site fees for Portsmouth prices.

You're right, the ferry is only 1 consideration. I have to consider doing 2500 miles with an average of 19mpg towing!

Paying for the ferry is only one consideration in the cost of a holiday.

Especially if paying for seven.

Scales

If I had known just how expensive it was going to be, to be a family man that is. I would have had a headache :lol:

Regards
Ian

If you think the ferries are pricey (and they aren't given that the food quality is pretty good considering it isn't cooked to order) then you will be in for a shock if you intend to eat out in France :-(

The beauty of caravanning is the barbeque :lol: To be fair we have eaten out before in france and we didn't find it too expensive.

Regards
Ian