Removing The Dreaded Awning Rail?

syborg

ello again folks

due to some damp i had in my van ive read about resealing the awning rail,

ive had a go with the drill at getting the rusty old screws out but in about an hour i only managed about 4 screw heads.

ive tried hss,carbide and tungsten carbide drill bits, 2,3,and 4 mm.

anyone got any ideas about drilling out those rusty headed screws.

dont fancy grinding them as i dont want to damage the rail track,

many thanks

syborg

Hi Syborg,

You need a GOOD HSS drill bit just to remove the head of the screw, the rest of the screw can be got out once the rail is off.

Do be careful not to go through the rail itself with the drill bit as you dont want to make the hole any bigger really.

When refixing the rail additional screws can be screwed in once the rail has been predrilled and also countersink the Stainless screws

Ant :D

Atom

If it sounds too good to be true-----it probably is !!!

• 2 weeks later...

JML done a rusty screw remover drill bit thingy a few years back. They probably still make them. Basically it is a reverse drill bit. Set the drill to anticlockwise and the drill bit will dig in to the rusty screw and remove it. I had some sucess with this, though there was many times when it just drill ed down the screw head. When this happened, I used a small chisel to tap a groove in the remaining screw head. I then removed it with a standard flat head screw driver. It was not hard to do but was more time consuming.

Regards

Lee

Please note that my opinions stated are those of an enthusiast not an expert and humble at that

2006 Hyundai Sante Fe towing a Coachman Vision 580/5

• 1 month later...
JML done a rusty screw remover drill bit thingy a few years back. They probably still make them. Basically it is a reverse drill bit. Set the drill to anticlockwise and the drill bit will dig in to the rusty screw and remove it. I had some sucess with this, though there was many times when it just drill ed down the screw head. When this happened, I used a small chisel to tap a groove in the remaining screw head. I then removed it with a standard flat head screw driver. It was not hard to do but was more time consuming.

Regards

Lee

I learnt of a way simular to yours and that was using a Dremil with the small grinding wheel to cut a proper slot and that also worked