Another Law To Worry About.

Hi,

I noticed the passage below in a French discussion group. The discussion started with a caravan query, but it looks like it might apply to other vehicles too. EU law? Does that include UK ?

The Code de la route (with the Arrêté du 24/10/1994) specifies that tyres on the same axle must be the same:

Make

Dimensions

Usage category (snow, road, A/T. ..)

Structure - radial or diagonal (cross-ply)

Maximum speed code

Load rating

The actual tread pattern doesn't have to be the same, however, as long as these criteria are satisfied.

This relates to compliance with EU Council Directive 92/23/EEC of 31 March 1992.

Hi,

I noticed the passage below in a French discussion group. The discussion started with a caravan query, but it looks like it might apply to other vehicles too. EU law? Does that include UK ?

The Code de la route (with the Arrêté du 24/10/1994) specifies that tyres on the same axle must be the same:

Make

Dimensions

Usage category (snow, road, A/T. ..)

Structure - radial or diagonal (cross-ply)

Maximum speed code

Load rating

The actual tread pattern doesn't have to be the same, however, as long as these criteria are satisfied.

This relates to compliance with EU Council Directive 92/23/EEC of 31 March 1992.

Not knowing much about these things I had assumed that this had already been the case in the UK especially the not mixing cross-ply ( can you still get them ?) and radials on the same axle.

Bill

Emmmm! I have the same size, dimensions and type, but not same make. In fact I never have had the same make on the same axle, not unless I replace all my tyres at once and to be honest, how many people do that when there tyres begin to wear or need replacing due to punctures etc??

On my cars (past and present) I have never been told they have to be the same make on the same axle!!

As a retired MOT tester I can assure you that the above as been law in the UK as long as I can remember.

Not at that level of equality !

Equal make hasn't been a requirement, nor has speed rating as long as it's legal nor has load index (ply construction).

Category (snow, road, terrain etc) are manufacturers descriptions not legal categories.

As far as I'm aware the UK regulations require tyres on the same axle to be of the same construction (radial or cross-ply) and of the same section, profile and rim diameter.

Speed rating is debateable - vehicle manufacturers fit tyres rated for the maximum speed a car can achieve on a test track, eg V for up to 149mph but there's no actual requirement to have tyres rated at any more than the speed limit, 70mph in the UK.

I change wheels often as part of my job (breakdown Technician) and if the wheel i am to put on is a different loadrating or speed rating or size i am not allowed by law to change it. however make and tread pattern is not an issue, this is what i have been told and trained for by IVR standards.

As a retired MOT tester I can assure you that the above as been law in the UK as long as I can remember.

I didn't know they had to be the same make. But I would usually change both tyres at the same time anyway.

I feel tempted to post a joke about tyres, but I would probably get booted off. It's offensive ;)

Edited by jan69c

Regards
Ian

I didn't know they had to be the same make. But I would usually change both tyres at the same time anyway.

I feel tempted to post a joke about tyres, but I would probably get booted off. It's offensive ;)

Hi Ian,

I'm with cheekyboy on this one as I didn't realise that the tyres had to be the same make. I believe that there's moves afoot to ensure that a certain type of tyre is fitted to due to the low rolling resistant tyres now fitted to some cars resulting in a lower Co2 figure and a lower tax band. Obviously if you fit cheaper tyres then the advantage could be lost,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

I have just asked my tyre fitter, he says they must be of equal spec but not the same make. Regarding the eco friendly tyres that isn't law yet.

Regards
Ian

I have just asked my tyre fitter, he says they must be of equal spec but not the same make. Regarding the eco friendly tyres that isn't law yet.

Thanks for the information Ian. I didn't think that the Eco tyres rule was law yet, just a proposal. I suppose it's fair if the use of the tyres put the vehicle in a dfferent RFL group than it would be if it were running on normal tyres, though it may well wipe out any RFL price advantage if you had to change four tyres as I don't think for one minute that they will be cheap items,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

So what about when you fit a spacesaver spare?

Yossa

Hi Yossa,

I would imagine that, as an emergency measure, they are exempt after all I thought they were only to be used to go to a place to have the puncture repaired/a new tyre fitted. I can't see a problem as they are an accepted emergency measure, or at least I hope they are,

Regards,

Ian,

As a current MOT tester the legal position re tyres on the same axle is as follows;

They must be of the same rim size

They must be of the same construction, i. e radial or crossply

They must meet the minimum load rating for the vehicle (Vehicle includes a trailer or caravan)

They Must meet the minimum speed rating for the vehicle (it's OK to have one that is a higher speed rating than the other as long as the lower speed rating one meets or exceeds the rating for the vehicle)

There must be at least 1. 6mm depth of tread across 3/4 of the width of the tread pattern of the tyre with visible tread pattern on the remaining 1/4

There must be no bulges or serious deformations in any part of the tyre

There must be no cuts exceeding 1 inch in length on any sidewall or any cut (sidewall or tread area) where it exposes the cord of the tyre.

There must be no visible deterioration of the tyre where such deterioration compromises the intregrity of the tyre (cracks due to age or UV degredation)

They need not be of the same make or tread pattern as long as they meet the above criteria

Exceptions are where the spare tyre is of the type commonly known as a space saver or emergency tyre, however if a vehicle is presented for an MOT test with one of these tyres fitted, or if the "normal" tyre was flat or seriously under or over inflated this also would be a reason for failue of said test

GeorgeB Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

When I said I was normal. .....maybe I exaggerated somewhat!

Skoda Superb MK3 190ps DSG 4X4 estate closely followed by a Swift Challenger 580 Alde

As a current MOT tester the legal position re tyres on the same axle is as follows;

Trouble is that MOT's do not always equate to the law according to the boys in blue ;)

Trouble is that MOT's do not always equate to the law according to the boys in blue ;)

Too true - there's a huge stack of regulations which have to be adhered to by every driver / vehicle operator but only a small selection of these are actually tested at MOT time.

Hi,

Agreed, but the bits of rubber on each corner, are part of the test so we must surely take onboard the informed views of an MoT tester?

I did take a car for test and found the number plate light was not working but the tester passed the car but said that it was illegal for a fitted light not to be functioning even though it was not included in the test!

Regards,

Ian.

Hi,

Agreed, but the bits of rubber on each corner, are part of the test so we must surely take onboard the informed views of an MoT tester?

I did take a car for test and found the number plate light was not working but the tester passed the car but said that it was illegal for a fitted light not to be functioning even though it was not included in the test!

Regards,

Ian.

I've heard that quoted on other forums, including non-caravanning ones and including serving police officers - it's simply not true.

Obligatory lights must work but optional lights don't need to.

I've heard that quoted on other forums, including non-caravanning ones and including serving police officers - it's simply not true.

Hi Roger,

I'm not disagreeing with you but I think certain traffic officers, and Mot examiners, need to get their act together if it's not true,

regards,

Ian.

If that rule were true, many Vauxhalls built in the '80s and '90s would be illegal - to save production cost GM Europe designed most of their models with a fog lamp both sides - for lhd cars the left fog lamp was operational and the right lamp had no bulb or wiring - because rhd cars were lower volume than lhd, the Vauxhalls (and Opels for Ireland and Malta) simply had an extra bulb in the right fog lamp and an extra length of wire in the loom to reach across. Vauxhalls built in the UK generally had two operational rear fog lights, Vauxhalls built on the continent generally only had one wired, the other having a bulb but no wire.

This arrangement was convenient legally as German regulations only permit one rear fog light but UK regulations permit one or more.

UK regulations permit one or more.

Unless changed in the last 3 years, UK law only allows 1 or 2 fog lights not any more, my trailer had twin light clusters on each side so had 4 fog lights in total . I had to remove 1 bulb on each side for it to pass MOT but when stopped by the police was told that if fitted must work .

Certainly a lot of cars only have fog light on one side but normally in my experience the wiring only feeds to one side or the other dependant on country therefore no wire so " not fitted " .

Registration plate lights weren't fitted by Datsun to my mate's 180SSS

Lunar Delta 520/2 towed by Omega 3. 0 Elite

They must be of the same rim size

They must be of the same construction, i. e radial or crossply

They must meet the minimum load rating for the vehicle (Vehicle includes a trailer or caravan)

They Must meet the minimum speed rating for the vehicle (it's OK to have one that is a higher speed rating than the other as long as the lower speed rating one meets or exceeds the rating for the vehicle)

There must be at least 1. 6mm depth of tread across 3/4 of the width of the tread pattern of the tyre with visible tread pattern on the remaining 1/4

There must be no bulges or serious deformations in any part of the tyre

There must be no cuts exceeding 1 inch in length on any sidewall or any cut (sidewall or tread area) where it exposes the cord of the tyre.

There must be no visible deterioration of the tyre where such deterioration compromises the intregrity of the tyre (cracks due to age or UV degredation)

They need not be of the same make or tread pattern as long as they meet the above criteria

Exceptions are where the spare tyre is of the type commonly known as a space saver or emergency tyre, however if a vehicle is presented for an MOT test with one of these tyres fitted, or if the "normal" tyre was flat or seriously under or over inflated this also would be a reason for failue of said test

Dont suppose u can tell from this pic (done in a bit of a rush) if both my front tyres are Pass , , Borderline. ..or fail. ... apparently my tracking is out, but allthough it may not look like it from the pic, theres plenty of meat left on them apart from an area thining on the inside.

Can take a better pic tomorrow if itll help. tyre size 31 10. 50 15r

Thanks

Nigel

NIGEL129 Hobby 495 Ufe (2003)

Powrtouch HD BP GAS Lite User Toyota Surf 2. 4 Tug,

Speed rating is debateable - vehicle manufacturers fit tyres rated for the maximum speed a car can achieve on a test track, eg V for up to 149mph but there's no actual requirement to have tyres rated at any more than the speed limit, 70mph in the UK.

I disagree. The speed rating is more to do with the acceleration of a vehicle that it's top speed. A Ka and a Ferrari might only travel at 70mph on the motorway but the Ferrari will get there a lot quicker than the Ka, so putting a lot more stress onto the tyres.

If you put low speed rating tyres on a Ferrari then had an accident, you can bet the insurance would use the fact it had the 'wrong' tyres on it to avoid paying out.

Last caravan: 2005 Elddis Odyssey 540 with mover.

Tow car: Range Rover 3. 9 V8 LPG.