Caravans Selling Well??

ivan leslie

Been looking at possibility of changing my caravan and was surprised to be told that

a) Bailey increased their prices last Monday and

B) Coachman looking at increasing theirs very shortly.

with all the gloom and doom about companies closing, ranges being dropped etc, found this somewhat difficult to understand. anyone else having this experience?

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

Been looking at possibility of changing my caravan and was surprised to be told that

a) Bailey increased their prices last Monday and

B) Coachman looking at increasing theirs very shortly.

with all the gloom and doom about companies closing, ranges being dropped etc, found this somewhat difficult to understand. anyone else having this experience?

The same is happening in the motor trade,Ford & Vauxhall both increased prices.

John.

It's all because so many components etc are bought in from abroad and the changes in the exchange rates.

Very few cars are sold at list price, leased company cars certainly aren't and the 30% private sales are often discounted - so list price remains artificially high which keeps HM Treasury happy as car benefit tax is based on list price - increases in list prices may simply be reflected in more competitive discounting between dealers.

I got 10% discount off list price on both our caravans, bought much nearer boom peaks than recession troughs - get your negotiating skills honed and concentrate on the real cost to change.

Hi

Just had a call from dealer today to say new van was in. Asked how sales were going, said they have taken delivery of 50 new vans this week and sold 29 at the NEC last week so price increase doesn't seem to be putting people off. Only been a short window to take real advantage of drop in VAT as new prices seem to be over and above any saving made.

When VAT goes back up next year it will make the increases look even more so maybe they have hiked them up now hoping it will be less noticable!

Joy

Hi

As already pointed out any parts imported from Europe have gone up substantially in price (such as AlKo chassis).

With the demise of Avondale etc there is less competition which hopefully might keep the remaining manufacturers volumes up.

If volumes drop I suspect Dealers and Manufacturers will attempt to increase margins - if they can get away with it.

Scales