Chewing Gum On The Roof

FM02MZO

I decided to give the van a wash and polish today, as the forcast was quite good, and when I came to do the roof I found a bit splodge of chewing gum splattered in the middle. I imagine that someone threw it off a bridge as we were going under, it obviously came from quite high up by the way that it's spattered on the roof.

Has anyone got good advice on how to remove it without damaging the paintwork knowing how thin the paintwork is?

Regards
Terry Birch
The tourer days are over, we now have an Hobby D500 GESC.

If the gum is hard try regular applications of WD40, if you can make some holes in the surface of the gum with a pin this will speed up the job, take your time and work the gum with a plastic scraper.

Good luck.

Rob

Too old to die young, too young to die.

chewing gum remover -- in a small yellow bottle -- worked on my "A" frame surface that was plastic-- don't know about a roof. .

Also you could try Fairy Power Spray - Green bottle - that shifts almost anything food wise. .

I have just been told Boiling Water will soften it and you can then scrape it with a plastic card and it might come off. .

Maurice

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

Try using ice cubes to freeze it, thats if your van is at home ! Then use a plasic scraper to ease it off. WD40 will shift it, but I am not sure if it would damage to roof if left on too long.

Regards
Ian

As the chewing gom was well away from any sealer I put some white spirits on it and within 15 minutes I had got it all off.

Regards
Terry Birch
The tourer days are over, we now have an Hobby D500 GESC.

As the chewing gom was well away from any sealer I put some white spirits on it and within 15 minutes I had got it all off.

I have had the same problem a few times as my van is just over a fence at side of a public footpath. .. I used boiling water from the kettle to soften it and it just wiped away with kitchen towels.

Tez ;)

Try using ice cubes to freeze it, thats if your van is at home ! Then use a plasic scraper to ease it off. WD40 will shift it, but I am not sure if it would damage to roof if left on too long.

Agree with jan69c for no cost removal (could be done on a frosty morning) or sticky stuff remover from DIY stores, I've used it on bus seats and its very good with no staining etc.

Bailey s5 Senator Carolina + Ford Ranger Double Cab + VFR800Fiw

it probably didnt 'splat' but rather the sun partially melted it on to the van. Provided you are away from seals, a short blast with a power hose will get it off lovely.

Regards

Lee

Please note that my opinions stated are those of an enthusiast not an expert and humble at that

2006 Hyundai Sante Fe towing a Coachman Vision 580/5