Towing Electrics

tosh66

Hi, We have a Elddis Aurora 2000, hitched to a Nissan Murano 2005 with a single 12n plug. When the ignition is on everything works fine(engine not running). But when the engine is started the indicators flash once then stop. All the other lights work ok when the engine is on.

Any ideas please, we havan`t got out in the van yet. :mellow:

Thanks. ..

Hi, We have a Elddis Aurora 2000, hitched to a Nissan Murano 2005 with a single 12n plug. When the ignition is on everything works fine(engine not running). But when the engine is started the indicators flash once then stop. All the other lights work ok when the engine is on.

Any ideas please, we havan`t got out in the van yet. :mellow:

Thanks. ..

Hi there, i'm not entirely sure why this is happening but it may be worth checking the wiring in the plug, and check that the wires are all in the correct order. There should be numbers on each one of the wire fittings.

1. yellow

2. blue

3. white

4. green

5. brown

6. red

the middle wire should be black. if that fails then it may possibly be a relay either inside the caravan or on the towbar itself. i hope this helps.

Sorry that i cant tell you why or what is causing your problem but i thought i,d tell you of a similar problem that a friend is having with his 2005 Honda FRV. The car is fitted with a 13 pin plug and he uses an adapter to connect to the caravans 12n plug. As with yours, the indicators will flash ok with the ignition turned on but as soon as the car starts, No indicators and something blows in the car itself. I,ve checked the fuses and it has blown them previously but the last time it happenned, the car had to be taken back to the dealers. Its now fixed,again but he,s dreading connecting the car up again. I hope you get yours sorted. If you do, maybe you could post how.

Sterling Elite Emerald

Thanks Mickrus for the quick response. I am going to change the plug tomorrow.

I forgot to say in my 1st post that had the car electrics tested they worked ok at the garage?

Wired.

ok good, then the only other thing i can suggest is (if the plug change doesn't work) that you take your van to a dealer and have their workshop plug it up to the workshop tester that they use for PDI's and services, they shouldn't really charge you for the diagnosis cause it only takes a few minutes to test.

Yes i will, if I get to the bottom of the problem.

I bought the van from my Brother who towed it with old shape Range Rover. He said He`s never had a problem.

Can`t test the van with the RR as he`s working in London till the weekend.

I was hoping for our first camp out this weekend.

Maybe the car runs on a canbus or half canbus system, meaning that it employs a self check system of the roadlights and cant reconise a trailer being connected, a nissan dealer will have to program the car's ECU to tell it to reconise the connected trailer / caravan

Maybe the car runs on a canbus or half canbus system, meaning that it employs a self check system of the roadlights and cant reconise a trailer being connected, a nissan dealer will have to program the car's ECU to tell it to reconise the connected trailer / caravan

That sounds expensive. I bought the Nissan in November with the towbar already attached. The first time I hitched it up was today.

Thanks.

Could it be that the van is wired to the 'old' system and the car to the new? I'm not sure when the wiring was changed to the modern (but pre 13 pin plug) system.

Could it be that the van is wired to the 'old' system and the car to the new? I'm not sure when the wiring was changed to the modern (but pre 13 pin plug) system.

Well before 2000 - 1997 I think.

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

Update

Hi all, I think i`ve eliminted the car. I tryed on my mates van it worked ok.

I`ve changed the 12n plug its still the same, going to try the reley in van next. When I find it? :angry:

Thanks.

Hi if it works ok on another van. ......... and the wireing is correct from the the intake on the caravan, it most likly an earth problem, start with the earth feed back to the car. .......... Hope this helps. ... simple test with 12v tester. ........ not sure you find any relays within the caravan. ..best of luck Bob