Car Insurance Due Warning

mark/jayne

Hi Everybody,

my car insurance is due very shortly, what i been asked is

is there any modifications on my Sorento my answer been yes a tow bar and side steps/ running boards

on there systems they cant find the side steps some dont know what they are.

please be advised that if i had a accident and i ddnt declares these items my insurance would be void therefore they would not pay out.

as anybody had any problems like this if not best check with your insurance company.

Regards

Mark

Mark & Jayne,

Kia Sorento xs 06
& Geist AKtiv 565 2007

Even changing the gear knob is enough reason for the insurance to pay out. The car has to be as it left the factory to come within the definition unmodified.

Regards
Ian

Guest John KS
Hi Everybody,

my car insurance is due very shortly, what i been asked is

is there any modifications on my Sorento my answer been yes a tow bar and side steps/ running boards

on their systems they cant find the side steps some don't know what they are.

please be advised that if i had a accident and i ddnt declares these items my insurance would be void therefore they would not pay out.

as anybody had any problems like this if not best check with your insurance company.

Regards

Mark

Write to them stating the modifications and that you use the vehicle for towing.

I have never had a problem with claiming with a tow bar on. In fact I had a complete tow bar replaced by the insurance company when I was hit from behind.

Write to them stating the modifications and that you use the vehicle for towing.

I have never had a problem with claiming with a tow bar on. In fact I had a complete tow bar replaced by the insurance company when I was hit from behind.

Never thought of this, just rang my insurer (Saga), told them i had a towbar fitted, an extra £15 to my policy! as it is indeed a modification that has to be disclosed.

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

Mmm, once had the caravan insured through NFU, when I tried to insure a 1997 Mondeo, I declared it had spring assisters and a towbar fitted. NFU would not quote as the car had been modified.

So, when the caravan came up for renewal, moved it to CC. Recently Kwik Fit and now Swinton could not care less about towbar.

Strange world.

2010/60 Honda CRV ES-T i-DTEC (Deep Sapphire Blue) and a 2009 S7 Bailey Provence.

If you take the wording of the policy to the limit it can get silly.

Is your car the basic specification for the model? - or does it have factory-fit options - you may not know exactly what the basic spec was.

Are your replacement tyres IDENTICAL to the ones fitted in the factory? - probably not, because tyre manufacturers make minor changes to specification and/or tread pattern quite frequently.

Has your car had an ECU update to correct a known problem? - you may not even know if the franchised dealer has done it routinely.

Has your car ever been recalled for a faulty part to be replaced by the latest, safer, version?

Try defining the difference between a modification and an extra !

Hi Everybody,

my car insurance is due very shortly, what i been asked is is there any modifications on my Sorento

Hi,

Usually they ask if there are any modifications which will enhance the performance.

But I've heard of a snazzy paint job jacking up the premium. ...makes the car more desirable. ...costs them more to repair it.

My insurers (LV) say I can fit a bigger engine (up to 3000cc) without increasing the premium.

Phone up and ask if they will reduce your premium if you take the tow-bar off. If they say NO, ask why it went up when you fitted the towbar.

Just changed our tug so rang the insurers (M&S) to get the insurance moved across. To the question "Has the vehicle been modified" my answer was "It has a towbar" Their answer "that does not count". My response "can we confirm that this call is being recorded?"

As with all things, you are insured for everything except a claim . . .

Cheers

Keith

I'm insured with saga. They don't care that I have a towbar fitted.

In fact when some muppet ploughed into the back of my car last year Saga insisted that the towbar was renewed in case of stress damage although there was no damage that the bodyshop could find.

You may find that an insurer will want to know the towbar is fitted but won't necessarily increase the premium.

If they do want more money then you can always find another privider.

The opinions posted in this forum are not necessarily those of the author, they may have been influenced by the voices in my head.

Hi Everybody,

my car insurance is due very shortly, what i been asked is is there any modifications on my Sorento

Hi,

Usually they ask if there are any modifications which will enhance the performance.

But I've heard of a snazzy paint job jacking up the premium. ...makes the car more desirable. ...costs them more to repair it.

My insurers (LV) say I can fit a bigger engine (up to 3000cc) without increasing the premium.

Phone up and ask if they will reduce your premium if you take the tow-bar off. If they say NO, ask why it went up when you fitted the towbar.

I've just insured with L-V. Phoned them up and said "sorry, forgot to tell you about the towbar" and they said "thanks but doesn't matter".

Never thought of this, just rang my insurer (Saga), told them i had a towbar fitted, an extra £15 to my policy! as it is indeed a modification that has to be disclosed.

Phil.

This bothers me because when I rang and asked Saga the same question last year, (because this point had been raised in a previous post), they said they would note it but there would be no charge.

I'll double check when I receive my renewal notice in case there has been a change of policy.

It's worth shopping round at renewal time anyway.

Gordon

Nissan Qashqai 1. 6 dCi (130 PS) + Avondale Rialto 390-2

Mmm, once had the caravan insured through NFU, when I tried to insure a 1997 Mondeo, I declared it had spring assisters and a towbar fitted. NFU would not quote as the car had been modified.

So, when the caravan came up for renewal, moved it to CC. Recently Kwik Fit and now Swinton could not care less about towbar.

Strange world.

My 1980 Range Rover has an Isuzu 2. 8 Turbo Diesel and automatic gearbox conversions, NFU welcomed me with open arms.

I am insured with the C & CC currently, changing to the CC next week - am i right in reckoning that they would both assume i have a tow bar fitted - especially as i insure the caravan with them as well.

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

My 1980 Range Rover has an Isuzu 2. 8 Turbo Diesel and automatic gearbox conversions, NFU welcomed me with open arms.

One of my mates had a 3. 5v8 Range rover some years ago and had a Diesel engine fitted. He tried all sorts of places to get it insured and all turned him down until he tried NFU mutual and when he told them that he had had the petrol engine taken out and a diesel conversion fitted the said hasn't everyone and insured it.

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

it was not really a problem with the towbar, the problem came when i said i had fitted running boards / side steps these did not show up on the screens so they couldnt give me a price :mellow:

Mark & Jayne,

Kia Sorento xs 06
& Geist AKtiv 565 2007

I am insured with the C & CC currently, changing to the CC next week - am i right in reckoning that they would both assume i have a tow bar fitted - especially as i insure the caravan with them as well.

I most certainly would not assume anything, i would tell them.

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

Shop around is the answer . ..

My car is "modified" with Towbar, LPG, and an extensive body-kit. I have obtained insurance with no additional charges, but with the codicil that the body kit, if damaged, will only be replaced by "factory standard" parts - hardly surprising as the body-kit is no longer made. . :(

Took an evening of research on t'internet, and 3 phone calls the next day . . :)

Phil.

Hi Phil,

I would query that as I wasn't charged anything for the Towbar 'modification',

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Hi Phil,

Regards,

Ian.

Hi Ian

I queriedf it with them just now, i was told it was an admin fee for a mid term modification, there is no actual extra charge on the policy for the tow bar, so i feel a little better now!

Thanks for the input though.

Phil.

Hi Ian

I queriedf it with them just now, i was told it was an admin fee for a mid term modification, there is no actual extra charge on the policy for the tow bar, so i feel a little better now!

Thanks for the input though.

Phil.

Hi phil,

I would query the £15 as well as I've just changed the policy because the car is now parked on the drive overnight as opposed to the garage and I was charged £10!

I think they make it up as they go along :D,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Hi Phil,

Regards,

Ian.

Neither was I (Saga insured).

Yossa

2007 Mondeo 2. 2 TDCi & 2003 Bailey Pageant Bordeaux

Strange world.

When you asked for the quote with NFU, and was told they would not quote you, I recon you wern't holding your face straight !

As been said by a couple on here they don't care, I am insured with them, yes they like to know about the mods, but I have never

been charged any extra, and when I put a towbar on the front of the car there only coment was "hay thats a good idea"

Radiotwo

Steve - Land Cruiser Amazon Auto + Pageant Series 5 Champagne

The match between car and caravan is perfect in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 49%.

Just changed our tug so rang the insurers (M&S) to get the insurance moved across. To the question "Has the vehicle been modified" my answer was "It has a towbar" Their answer "that does not count". My response "can we confirm that this call is being recorded?"

As with all things, you are insured for everything except a claim . . .

Cheers

They mean has the engine been modified i told them about the tow bar they said it don't make any difference

AUDI A5 SPORTBACK COACHMAN AMARA + NISSAN 350 Z