Porch Awning Height

gwyny

At some point i am hoping to buy a porch awning. Our local dealer has a used panoramic at a good price at the moment,but looking at the height measurements and all others in my research upto now-they`re all too high(usually 230-250cms)

I`ve just measured the van(1986 ABI Award Globestar)which has a boat type roof and slopes away to the front and back quite steeply. Its approx 220cms at the highest point in the centre going down to about 200cms.

Am i going to struggle finding a porch awning do you think as i don`t want to find i can`t peg it properly and it looking all baggy!?

Conventional porch awnings are produced in three heights - the high suits flat-roofed caravans and the low suits boat-roof.

Modern lightweight porches normally only come in one height, to suit modern flat-roofed caravans.

You'll find plenty of choice in conventionals, eg NR, but not in lightweights.

I have also been looking for a lightweight Porch Awning; my rail is 230mm off the ground and so I had a good look around the NEC last week. They all seem to be for 235 to 250, so I think you are going to struggle.

Edited by Zebaddee

At some point i am hoping to buy a porch awning. Our local dealer has a used panoramic at a good price at the moment,but looking at the height measurements and all others in my research upto now-they`re all too high(usually 230-250cms)

I`ve just measured the van(1986 ABI Award Globestar)which has a boat type roof and slopes away to the front and back quite steeply. Its approx 220cms at the highest point in the centre going down to about 200cms.

Am i going to struggle finding a porch awning do you think as i don`t want to find i can`t peg it properly and it looking all baggy!?

Two way to remedy your problem, one is to put the caravan on chocks when useing a prch awning, that will give you the extra height you need, the other is to buy an awning like a scenic and cut 6" off the poles.

Alternatively buy a Fiamma Caravanstore and then buy the sides as needed!

Its the awning rail height they are refering to, Is this what you are refering to? it seems very low at 220cm?

my van was lower than the required height which results in not being able to get the awning to fit against the side of the van I ended up cutting about 2inch's off the poles. The difference between the actual van height & the min height recomended by the awning maker. I had allready bought it about a year before I tried it, to late to take it back

Edited by TD 42

Its the awning rail height they are refering to, Is this what you are refering to? it seems very low at 220cm?

Thats the height! It`s boat shaped you see-being actually much higher along the centre of the roof,sloping down to the awning rail

That sounds ok. However,isn`t there still the problem of excess fabric at the bottom flapping about?

No! the best thing to do is thread the poles into the awning gusset and attach to the pole clips, this can be done off the caravan. Then the poles will be about 3-6 inches longer than the awning fabric. Obviously this allows for height differences with taller caravans. The difference is what you cut off.

So along as the poles are the same length as the fabric, you will be able to guy it out fine.

Or

Put your caravan on Fiamma ramps or similar, that will raise it up by approx. 6 inches, so will take the slack off the awning without having to modify anything. We do this with our porch awning! Starcamp http://www. bowenawnings. co. uk/awnings/starcamp/quattro. html