Bbc4 Tonight 21:00.

Guest John KS

Guest John KS

Documentary about the love affair between the British and their caravans, which saw the country establish the world's largest caravan manufacturer and transformed the holiday habits of generations of families.

Might be worth a viewing.

Just set the Sky HD box to record the programme.

Thanks for the info.

Yossa

2007 Mondeo 2. 2 TDCi & 2003 Bailey Pageant Bordeaux

there is a trail on Richard & Judy (Sky 109 & Virgin (I think 124) . . (the 'Watch' channel, anyway) with other interviews.

Edited by Taid

Sounds interesting - I'll be watching!

2011 S Max Titanium Powershift

2011 Citroen C3 Picasso Exclusive

2011 Swift Conqueror 570 Special Equipment

'If I'd Been Born Thirty Years Later They Would Call It ADHD'

Guest John KS
Just watched it and it was very interesting indeed.

Good old Sam I say. We had a CI Europa caravan of his with glass windows that ran with condensation every morning!!!!!!

Took it and the kids to Germany.

Happy Days!!!!!

Great programme, wasn't it? Although I think Christine Fagg (A Former Caravan Jurno) was getting a bit confused, saying that 'This is my Sprite', whilst leading the camera crew in to her 1980's Trophy! Anyone else spot it?!

Anyone fancy trying to park up for the night at the Champs Elysess overnight these days?! :D;)

2011 S Max Titanium Powershift

2011 Citroen C3 Picasso Exclusive

2011 Swift Conqueror 570 Special Equipment

'If I'd Been Born Thirty Years Later They Would Call It ADHD'

Guest John KS
It should have been shown on the History Channel. What happened to 'today'? Hello BBC. ...anybody there?

I thought it was supposed to be a history of caravanning, not the present day?

But history also spans time and does not have just to be of an era four decades ago in the last century.

What a dreadfully boring image of "us" this has left in the minds of the non caravanning viewer but hopefully they switched over after 10 minutes.

The only bit touching modernity was an Airstream at last years NEC, and don't they claim being 76 years old.

Why no families of more recent times, the excellent vans now available or the site facilities?

Edited by JTQ

It brought back memories of the days when caravans didn't lose money

Our first van was a Bluebird Europe 3 at 9ft 6in long

It cost us nearly new £135 and we bought a full awning for £50

We then towed it to Berlin(1st tow ever)and used it in Europe for 2 years

The farthest point was Istanbul with 2 children under 2

As shown in the program you could stop where the fancy took you

We stopped on the corner of a field in Greece and when we awoke next morning saw a tepee sticking up over the hedge

The owner approached and with no common language exchanged family information

We had 2 children and he had 12 explained with a shrug!

We sold it with awning for £200

Next of course came a Sprite Alpine :D

Edited by Watson(JohnG)

BMW X3 X Drive and Swift Challenger 580SE

Guest John KS
But history also spans time and does not have just to be of an era four decades ago in the last century.

What a dreadfully boring image of "us" this has left in the minds of the non caravanning viewer but hopefully they switched over after 10 minutes.

The only bit touching modernity was an Airstream at last years NEC, and don't they claim being 76 years old.

Why no families of more recent times, the excellent vans now available or the site facilities?

Sorry JTQ, I don't think it was boring. Brought back loads of memories. I don't want to know about modern caravans. I have got one!

Well the only good thing was that I had recorded it and therefore had the benefit of a fast forward button :D

All very nostalgic I am sure but it did nothing at all for the "image" of todays caravanners or modern caravans.

It would have been much more balanced to yes show its roots through time but end up with todays vision which can be properly set against "where it has come from through the ages".

Frankly the vast proportion of time given over to old "has been's" was an embarrisment - I just hit the "delete button" which made me feel much better :P

Alan J

Bailey Pageant S6 Bordeaux Tow Car BMW X5 3. 0D

The programme covered the pre-war years, and the post-war years up to 1979 when CI went bust (the first time?) - after that zilch - even for oldies like me, it was "all before my time".

Well the only good thing was that I had recorded it and therefore had the benefit of a fast forward button :D

All very nostalgic I am sure but it did nothing at all for the "image" of todays caravanners or modern caravans.

It would have been much more balanced to yes show its roots through time but end up with todays vision which can be properly set against "where it has come from through the ages".

Frankly the vast proportion of time given over to old "has been's" was an embarrisment - I just hit the "delete button" which made me feel much better :P

Me too Sky +

BMW X3 X Drive and Swift Challenger 580SE

I thought it would have been better if they included more makes and models, less memories of personal holidays and to have started in 1919? and ended up with todays caravans. A little bit like a history program including a time line, not one make and model.

What a nice change to see a well put together and produced programme about our 'hobby / passion'

Not what some people were expecting perhaps but just what it said on the programme information.

Nice to see some of the old footage and lets face it for many of us, for a long period, Sprite and CI were the majority provider.

Not stereo-typed and not a caravan bashing programme.

More please.

Dave

Discovery 4 HSE 2015, Bailey Unicorn S4 Barcelona 2018.
http://www. mycaravan. org. uk/

Those who have it taped watch it and see just how much was actual caravanning and how much was family memories/snapshots and how much was pretty pictures of anonymous countryside with background folk singing. Waste of time I thought. Typical 20minute programme padded out to an hour with a lot of spurious rubbish.

It's being repeated this coming Sunday - BBC4 9:00pm

Thanks for the heads up Roger

Ford Kuga Powershift AWD. Bailey Senator Indiana Series 6

What a nice change to see a well put together and produced programme about our 'hobby / passion'

Not what some people were expecting perhaps but just what it said on the programme information.

Nice to see some of the old footage and lets face it for many of us, for a long period, Sprite and CI were the majority provider.

Not stereo-typed and not a caravan bashing programme.

More please.

Dave

Agreed. A follow-up programme(s) in the same vein about caravanning now would be most welcome.

Mike

Having only joined the caravaning fraternity in 2003 when we bought a brand new caravan, sight unseen except for the brouchue, the prog left me feeling that vans have come on a great deal in most aspects. As for seeing how older vanners were able to pull up anywhere when they chose, its left me feeling i missed the good times, though not sure about no elec hookups. Nowadays you wont get much on a site unless your paying the £20 - £30 a night bracket cause your 10yr old is unable to make his own fun unless theres a heated pool, club house, amusment arcade etc. Looks like back then kids just got on with it and thoughly enjoyed it. (Modern times humph)

Over all it was quite interesting, and dont get me wrong, im a reluctant vanner whose at the wifes beck and call. Shes got the advantage of growing up with her parents who also had a Sprite (and the fringed awning).

A further prog with up to date users would be nice, just for comparisons sake.

nigel

NIGEL129 Hobby 495 Ufe (2003)

Powrtouch HD BP GAS Lite User Toyota Surf 2. 4 Tug,