Propane Or Butane.

cuji k

I will be getting my van in five weeks and allready have some butane gas bottles. Can i use these on the new van or do I have to use Propane. If i can use either is does any have advantages over the other? Thanks in advance for any advice. Also can someone tell me what sizes of bottle are best to carry and do i need one or two? Thanks to all that reply.

I will be getting my van in five weeks and allready have some butane gas bottles. Can i use these on the new van or do I have to use Propane. If i can use either is does any have advantages over the other?  Thanks in advance for any advice

13698[/snapback]

Your new caravan will operate on both Butane or Propane. You have to tell the dealer as he has to fit the appropriate pigtail, (gas hose in the front locker). If you intend caravanning in the cold weather, winter time, you must use Propane because butane will freeze at around 0 degrees F. I use Propane all year round and gave up Butane soon after starting caravanning in 1970. Hope this of some help.

When we got our new van last year I took advantage of the new system to swap over to Propane at least I have no worries about the weather. If you already have the smaller Calor bottles they will exchange the 4. 5kgs blue bottle for a 6kgs red, all you pay is the price of the gas. Can't say I have noticed any difference in the use of the two types of gas.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

When we got our new van last year I took advantage of the new system to swap over to Propane at least I have no worries about the weather. If you already have the smaller Calor bottles they will exchange the 4. 5kgs blue bottle for a 6kgs red, all you pay is the price of the gas. Can't say I have noticed any difference in the use of the two types of gas.

David

13722[/snapback]

When i changed 4. 5kg blue for 6kg red loads of paperwork but they did it. The paperwork i was told was a calor stipulation.

Dave

Guest macSpot

You don't say what your new van is, and while you can use either gas in most vans, there are exceptions.

For example the 2004-5 Bailey Senators have the Truma Triomatic switchover system and you can only connect propane (red) gas to them.

Be on the safe side and check with your dealer.

MacSpot

HI,

I use Propane too as we caravan all year round, I found out the hard way about Butane woke up at 5am freezing with a 6 month old baby in the caravan.

Trevor.

David

13722[/snapback]

Same here we changed to Propane when we got our new van last year and now we have no worries about cold weather Caravanning. .

Bob :lol::rolleyes:

Hi

there if you have the option go for propane, so if you decide to caravan all year

there will be no problem about your gas freezing, some switch from propane to

butane in summer months, but thats up to the individual, we used butane for a long

period and its always seemed fine, cold weather we used to lag the butane bottles

but recently someone gave us two 6kg propane cylinders so were trying those now, you mentioned a new van, i might be wrong but i would advice using propane regs for propane bottles and butane regs for butane bottles, as i am not sure if they are interchangeable, best of luck with your new van in the future :)

cb1701

P. S i would always carry two bottles so to change to your reserve when you run out as all sites do not have bottle changing facilities.

Your new caravan will operate on both Butane or Propane. You have to tell the dealer as he has to fit the appropriate pigtail, (gas hose in the front locker).

13719[/snapback]

Slightly off subject but I pick up my first van on Thursday does this mean the van will come with a gas hose as standard then, having not seen one when viewing new vans.

Wildkat

Will it come with a snow shovel too ? TIC :lol:

Guest Robin
Slightly off subject but I pick up my first van on Thursday does this mean the van will come with a gas hose as standard then, having not seen one when viewing new vans.

Wildkat

Will it come with a snow shovel too ? TIC :lol:

13968[/snapback]

Hi - You will have to tell the dealer which type of gas you are going to use, ie Butane or Propane and then they will fit the appropriate gas hose for you, this should be free of charge and included in the purchase of the 'van. It only takes a couple of minutes to do so they can do this while your sorting out all the necessaries, paperwork etc.

Enjoy your 'van and safe motoring.

One point mentioned by cb1701 " cold weather we used to lag the butane bottles"

I always believed that the bottles cooled as the liquid evaporated into gas and that the bottles relied on the ambient air temperature (however cold) to warm them up a bit. Lagging would therefore make things worse.

Am I correct???

One point mentioned by cb1701 " cold weather we used to lag the butane bottles"

I always believed that the bottles cooled as the liquid evaporated into gas and that the bottles relied on the ambient air temperature (however cold) to warm them up a bit. Lagging would therefore make things worse.

Am I correct???

14548[/snapback]

Quite correct.

The only advantage in using butane is that it works out cheaper than propane, so if you only caravan in the warmer months it may be OK for you. I use propane and find that, as we are mainly on electric sites, gas consumption is minimal and therefore cost is not an issue

Brian

Archived