Complete Newby

saturnowner

So what do I NEED to know?

I've just bought a 4 or 5 berth Lunar Saturn which I have been led to believe is from the early 90's. I've never owned or even set foot in a caravan before today, and know absolutely nothing about them. I'll be moving to Somerset in May and will be living in it until I can find a permanent solution (ideally a static on a residential site)

Things I can think of that I NEED to know is stuff like how does the electric hookup work do I need to switch anything over, will it charge the battery in the van. or will I need to get a battery charger?

Do sites have an age limit on caravans? Will I need a safety certificate, or inspection report and if so where will I get one from? etc etc As I stated above I know absolutely nothing about caravanning at all. .

So what do I NEED to know?

I've just bought a 4 or 5 berth Lunar Saturn which I have been led to believe is from the early 90's. I've never owned or even set foot in a caravan before today, and know absolutely nothing about them. I'll be moving to Somerset in May and will be living in it until I can find a permanent solution (ideally a static on a residential site)

Things I can think of that I NEED to know is stuff like how does the electric hookup work do I need to switch anything over, will it charge the battery in the van. or will I need to get a battery charger?

Do sites have an age limit on caravans? Will I need a safety certificate, or inspection report and if so where will I get one from? etc etc As I stated above I know absolutely nothing about caravanning at all. .

Hello and welcome. We are equally new to caravanning, in fact our first outing is in 2 weeks time! Although we have camped and owned a folding camper for many years, caravanning is a whole new ball game.

You will get plenty of advice in these forums, I can assure you. I actually bought a book just before we bought our caravan in October:

http://www. amazon. co. uk/Caravan-Handbook-O. ../ref=pd_sim_b_1

it has a slightly dated feel but makes a good read for a newby.

Now a Swift motorhome owner.

Hi Saturnowner and welcome to Caravan Talk.

The Caravan Club have an excellent leaflet called Beginners Guide to Caravanning, which gives you all the basics.

http://www. caravanclub. co. uk/NR/rdonlyres/...Caravanning. pdf

Once you have read it please feel free to ask any questions. I am sure you will have some

Brian

The Caravan Club have an excellent leaflet called Beginners Guide to Caravanning, which gives you all the basics.

Once you have read it please feel free to ask any questions. I am sure you will have some

Brian

Now that is what I call a very sensible leaflet -- and well worth printing off

covers most things -- and others will be easy to answer.

Maurice

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

Brian

Thanks for that. Just clicked the link but the site is down for maintenance work So will try later. I worked out the hookup and electrical bits, and figured out how the water side of things works.

Done a few small repair jobs and about to install a car stereo & cd changer into it.