Al-ko Octagon Shockers

kde

I've been reading the threads regarding these retro fit shockers with interest. Most seem to concentrate on the fitting but I would be interested to hear comments on the performance/benefits of fitting. We have a 2008 Bailey senator vermont which tows very well, but improvements always interest me.

Kevin

Vauxhall Insignia SRi Nav 160 Auto, 2013 Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

I've been reading the threads regarding these retro fit shockers with interest. Most seem to concentrate on the fitting but I would be interested to hear comments on the performance/benefits of fitting. We have a 2008 Bailey senator vermont which tows very well, but improvements always interest me.

Surely The Bailey Senator Range already has Alko shockers fitted as standard

Scales

Scales

no, just the 2009 models and the pageant series 7 I believe

Kevin

Scales

I think the Bailey Pageant got dampers when the S7 was introduced - the Bailey Senator didn't get them initially on S6 but the 2009s get them.

I fitted dampers on my 2001 Bailey Pageant Magenta when it was new - it made it tow even smoother with less bouncing when the winds are gusty.

Towing is certainly smoother. Lorries kick you less, you can still feel them though it is much less marked. So much so my wife can't feel them passing from the passenger seat.

2010 Volvo XC70 D5 SE Lux (2012 V60 D5 All Wheel Drive R Design after March 12!)

2012 Swift Conqueror 480, with Omnivent, Mini Heki in Loo, Mudflaps and ALKO Mammut Mover

Towing is certainly smoother. Lorries kick you less, you can still feel them though it is much less marked. So much so my wife can't feel them passing from the passenger seat.

Hi marcus,

thanks. We dont get bothered too much by lorries, but I put that down to ATC on this van, thats why I was wondering about the benefits of fitting shocks, I can imagine towing will be smother though. That said, Bailey have introduced them as standard on new models so I guess they can see benefits.

Kevin

There was a longish thread some time back that discussed this in some depth . .

http://www. caravantalk. org. uk/index. php?sh. ..=15393&st=0

HTH

Thanks, read that thread, certainly was longish but also very interesting. Decided that I will either fit them myself or get the dealer to when van gets its first service at the end of March. Will probably do them myself as it looks quite easy

Thanks again

Kevin

Hi marcus,

thanks. We dont get bothered too much by lorries, but I put that down to ATC on this van, thats why I was wondering about the benefits of fitting shocks, I can imagine towing will be smother though. That said, Bailey have introduced them as standard on new models so I guess they can see benefits.

We have ATC too. Lorries were never a problem but you were aware of them passing. Should also have said the 'van rides more smoothly over rough UK roads.

2010 Volvo XC70 D5 SE Lux (2012 V60 D5 All Wheel Drive R Design after March 12!)

2012 Swift Conqueror 480, with Omnivent, Mini Heki in Loo, Mudflaps and ALKO Mammut Mover

My Amara is a better tow after I fitted them.

A Fiat Doblo camper and a Lunar Ariva 2019
grace my drive.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone who offered advice. Taken the plunge and ordered them and will be fitting them myself, with the aid of photographs taken from under a 2009 senator vermont so I know what I am looking at re which hole etc.

After much research on the internet, bought them for 62. 00 pair plus 5. 00 carriage, I think/hope this is the cheapest price on the net.

Check out http://www. onestopleisureshop. co. uk/al-ko-...r-red-i394. html a nice little site for caravanners.

Kevin

Whilst in for annual service, I got my service centre to fit a pair of Alko red shocks today.

Cost for the shocks fitted was £145 (inc vat).

Can't say I noticed any difference on the tow home today, but I'm sure they'll improve the towing performance.

Laurie.

Swift Fairway 540 & Kia Sorento Titan Auto

Follow My Twitterings

388044000975.jpg Our photos with our camp site reviews.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice. Taken the plunge and ordered them and will be fitting them myself, with the aid of photographs taken from under a 2009 senator vermont so I know what I am looking at re which hole etc.

After much research on the internet, bought them for 62. 00 pair plus 5. 00 carriage, I think/hope this is the cheapest price on the net.

Check out http://www. onestopleisureshop. co. uk/al-ko-...r-red-i394. html a nice little site for caravanners.

Hi.

I ordered a pair today from the above shop, £67. 00 delivered, the best price I could find anywhere.

Many thanks for the heads up. I will be fitting them to my Pageant Vendee as soon as the weather moderates?????

Cheers.

T. B)B)B)

HI. ITSME.

Hi there. ..I fitted red shocks to my 2004 Abbey GTS, and although I have only towed a short distance with them fitted, I feel confident in saying they give a more stable tow.

When you fit the shocks onto your van, ensure that the bolt heads face the outside of the van. Although more awkward to torque up, you will gain clearance for a wheelclamp if fitted.

I know. .I've got to reverse the heads and fit new nyloc nuts, to give me reasonable clearance for my wheelclamp!!

Whilst in for annual service, I got my service centre to fit a pair of Alko red shocks today.

Can't say I noticed any difference on the tow home today, but I'm sure they'll improve the towing performance.

Hi lauriesandra,

Thanks for feedback. might be worth asking your dealer for some form of refund as Al-ko say 15/20 mins each side and that includes jacking and taking wheels off, they would have done this for the service anyway and my dealer quoted 15-20 pounds for fitting as part of the service, and a price of 78 for the shockers(alko list price )

Worth a try?

Kevin

Hi lauriesandra,

Thanks for feedback. might be worth asking your dealer for some form of refund as Al-ko say 15/20 mins each side and that includes jacking and taking wheels off, they would have done this for the service anyway and my dealer quoted 15-20 pounds for fitting as part of the service, and a price of 78 for the shockers(alko list price )

Worth a try?

I agree here, i was quoted £195 for mine, and its a twin axle!! so i think you have been overcharged.

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

From the post above, that equates to £83 for fitting. It seems a little steep having fitted several sets without workshop facilities and taking about ½ hour .