Problem With Powrtouch Mover

colinicky

I have a powrtouch mover on my twin axle caravan that appears to have a recurring problem . Please note before I explain that I have recieved excellent service from Powrtouch & this post is only to see if others have had the problem & resolved it .

Anyway the problem is that everytime I use the mover the motor/roller assembly moves & changes the gap between roller & tyre . I have had the fitter back twice (Powrtouchs own fitter) who has adjusted & reset the gap to 15mm but on putting my van away today the roller was slipping on the tyre & on checking the gap is now 23mm .

Any ideas ? Obviously I am going to contact Powrtouch tommorrow but just thought I would ask on here first

TIA

Colin

I have a powrtouch mover on my twin axle caravan that appears to have a recurring problem . Please note before I explain that I have recieved excellent service from Powrtouch & this post is only to see if others have had the problem & resolved it .

Anyway the problem is that everytime I use the mover the motor/roller assembly moves & changes the gap between roller & tyre . I have had the fitter back twice (Powrtouchs own fitter) who has adjusted & reset the gap to 15mm but on putting my van away today the roller was slipping on the tyre & on checking the gap is now 23mm .

Any ideas ? Obviously I am going to contact Powrtouch tommorrow but just thought I would ask on here first

TIA

Colin

Colin,

I have a Powrtouch on a single axle and the gap between roller and tyre is 20mm,in fact it came with a 20mm square piece of wood to be used as a gauge to check the gap.

You say a gap of 15mm, so is it different on a twin axle ? I was wondering if the gap is too small at 15mm then it would require greater pressure to engage the rollers onto the tyres, therefore putting extra load on the retaining bolts on the mounting brackets,possibly moving the mounting bracket.

Even with a 20mm gap it takes a fair bit of pressure to engage the rollers.

A Powrtouch engineer once told me that the 8mm retaining bolts/set screws bite into the chassis and if moved to a different position could slide back to their original indentations on the chassis.

Roger

I had something similar to this on the pt on our first van.

I ended up in on my back half through a french holiday loosening the whole thing (both sides) and reseating it myself. It moved again after that but I probably only used it a couple more times before we p/x'd the van and the mover.

I think the clamps needed replacing. ..

Colin,

I have a Powrtouch on a single axle and the gap between roller and tyre is 20mm,in fact it came with a 20mm square piece of wood to be used as a gauge to check the gap.

You say a gap of 15mm, so is it different on a twin axle ? I was wondering if the gap is too small at 15mm then it would require greater pressure to engage the rollers onto the tyres, therefore putting extra load on the retaining bolts on the mounting brackets,possibly moving the mounting bracket.

Roger

Hi Roger

Yes mine came with a bit of wood as well which has 20mm on it but if you measure the other way it is 15mm & I was assured by Powrtouch Technical that it should be 15mm, hopefully they know what they are talking about !

I have the wood and I was told 20mm.

YOur problem has to be the whole mover moving on the retaining bolts. Powrtouch will sort it, I'm sure.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Hi,

my mover was slipping on the tyres and it's gone back to the Dealer who told me that the roller had been set to the wrong measurement, apparently there is two measurements,

Regards,

Ian.

Edited by ian dunning

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

What chassis type do you have. I was told by a dealer that the BPW chassis, which has the 'swingtech' chassis is difficult to fit movers to since the wheels 'steer'.

regards

Lee

Please note that my opinions stated are those of an enthusiast not an expert and humble at that

2006 Hyundai Sante Fe towing a Coachman Vision 580/5

What chassis type do you have. I was told by a dealer that the BPW chassis, which has the 'swingtech' chassis is difficult to fit movers to since the wheels 'steer'.

regards

Lee

I believe it is Alko, it is on my 2006 Lunar . Spoke to Powrtouch who confirmed the gap should be 15mm so I am 8mm out on one side & 6mm on the other side. Engineer is coming back again .

I believe it is Alko, it is on my 2006 Lunar . Spoke to Powrtouch who confirmed the gap should be 15mm so I am 8mm out on one side & 6mm on the other side. Engineer is coming back again .

In addition to the fixing bolt/clamps on the actual mover, my PowrTouch had some addtional clamps fitted to the chassis to prevent this creeping.

When the fitter came he had to remove the old ones that had been left from the previous mover.

GPS

regards

Lee

The Al-Ko Delta axle, fitted to upmarket caravans, may also have this problem as the suspension pivot angles are different to the Al-Ko Euro axle that most of us have.

Should be fairly straightforward to find out what is moving by putting some marks on the chassis. I would have thought it unlikely that your axle is moving, but it is a possibility if the suspension bushes are knackered. More than likely that the clamps are moving. I have just fitted a powertouch to a single axle. I noted in the instructions that some versions use an allen screw with a cone point to dig into the chassis to stop movement along the chassis rail.