Thinking Of Getting A Mover

Wirral Tourer

Got a 5 berth single axle so thinking of getting something like an Enduro or Powrtouch Heavy Duty Single.

Is the battery likely to run out if fully charged ? Is it possible to say roughly how many minutes I will get roughly (I know it depends on terrain, etc.) Will I be able to hitch up using the mover, then drive to site and pitch up, all on a single charge (mover cannot be charged during transit because I have a Ford towbar with no permanent live feed to the pin to charge battery - thats another story though)

Cheers

Got a 5 berth single axle so thinking of getting something like an Enduro or Powrtouch Heavy Duty Single.

Is the battery likely to run out if fully charged ? Is it possible to say roughly how many minutes I will get roughly (I know it depends on terrain, etc.) Will I be able to hitch up using the mover, then drive to site and pitch up, all on a single charge (mover cannot be charged during transit because I have a Ford towbar with no permanent live feed to the pin to charge battery - thats another story though)

Cheers

I only use an 85Ah battery with my M/Mover. As yet I have not run out of power and I have a steep drive up to the road to hitch up.

Yes the control on modern MM's is very good and you will be able to use it to hitch up with very small/slow movements of the van.

It is difficult to guesstimate how long the battery will last. There are too many variables to give a definitive figure.

I must admit I don't use the MM if we are going to a rally with no hookups. This conserves the battery for use on the rally. Having said that I have just replaced my 18W (Useless) solar panel with an 80W unit. So in future I may well make more use of the MM when rallying.

Bob R

The problem with leisure batteries is that they aren't very good at supplying high current, even for short periods - this causes the service life to be considerably reduced.

Mover manufacturers recommend fitting a 110Ah leisure battery to minimise early failure - I always use sites with EHU, and have the caravan connected at home, so the battery is always fully charged from a smart charger, not the on-board power supply - I use a 70Ah car battery which handles our PowerTouch heavy-duty just fine but then it'll handle 600 amps during car starting so the 90 amps during mover start-up is peanuts!

If you always use hook-ups and keep the battery fully charged, prefereably with a smart charger (I've got my hard hat on, I know others disagree with me), a decent 86Ah leisure battery will work.

Cheers

Hi WT

If you want some assistance with wiring for the battery charge, drop me a PM

Radiotwo

Steve - Land Cruiser Amazon Auto + Pageant Series 5 Champagne

The match between car and caravan is perfect in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 49%.

The problem with leisure batteries is that they aren't very good at supplying high current, even for short periods - this causes the service life to be considerably reduced.

Get an AGM battery. Quite capable of high discharge rates without harm and lasts considerably longer than an SLA battery.

Cheers and thanks for the replies.

Just need to decide between Enduro and Powrtouch. Both seem to be good units. Can't determine which will be easiest to use though. From the company's website videos, the Powrtouch seems easier and quicker to engage the rollers manually. There seems to be a lot of winding with the Enduro, whereas the Powrtouch just requires a single movement - or is this a slightly misleading video ?

Cheers and thanks for the replies.

Just need to decide between Enduro and Powrtouch. Both seem to be good units. Can't determine which will be easiest to use though. From the company's website videos, the Powrtouch seems easier and quicker to engage the rollers manually. There seems to be a lot of winding with the Enduro, whereas the Powrtouch just requires a single movement - or is this a slightly misleading video ?

I have got a powrtouch mover on mine using an 85amp battery, I have had that battery for 4 yrs now. I will recommend the powrtouch because of the customer service is very good and their 5 yrs no quibble warranty is excellent.

I have got a powrtouch mover on mine using an 85amp battery, I have had that battery for 4 yrs now. I will recommend the powrtouch because of the customer service is very good and their 5 yrs no quibble warranty is excellent.

Same here.

I have a powrtouch heavy duty on my 1500Kg van with a 85 amp battery and I have had no problms at all :)

BMW X6 M50D + Buccaneer Schooner 2017

As a guide, Powrwheel would recomend an 85ah battery for a single axle, and 110ah for a twin axle.

It is impossible to give an exact time for the battery to last, But I would expect approx 30 to 40 minutes out of a fully charged 85ah battery. There is SO many variables that a precise time is not possible. It should be far more than you will actually need.

All caravan movers offer the sort of control and accuracy you are looking for.

You've only got to look at my "signature" at the bottom of this reply to know which one I'm going to recomend. But this has been done to death recently, if it ever goes wrong You will realise why people rave about Powrwheels aftersales backup.

Can anyone tell us what Enduro's backup is like ?? As I understand it, It is "self fit" and "self repair" which is fine if you are to do the work yourself.

Dave

Dave Baxter

Powerwheel fitter

fitorfix caravan movers

Mover manufacturers recommend fitting a 110Ah leisure battery to minimise early failure - I always use sites with EHU, and have the caravan connected at home, so the battery is always fully charged from a smart charger, not the on-board power supply - I use a 70Ah car battery which handles our PowerTouch heavy-duty just fine but then it'll handle 600 amps during car starting so the 90 amps during mover start-up is peanuts!

If you always use hook-ups and keep the battery fully charged, prefereably with a smart charger (I've got my hard hat on, I know others disagree with me), a decent 86Ah leisure battery will work.

Thanks Roger

That's exactly what I would have written

We used 85 amp hour batteries for years and never ran out of power for the mover

If you keep the van in storage the 110 amp hour will be a better bet but if its on charge most of the time then the 85 amp hour will do

BMW X3 X Drive and Swift Challenger 580SE

I have a 110 amp battery and always use the mover to move the 'van from its storage position to the car and on arrival at destination use the mover to position the 'van especially if on a CC site. The caravan has all wheel drive (4 movers) and I have never had any problems with the battery which is now 4 years old at least.

Gerry

2005 Kia Sorento 2. 5 Auto towing 2011 Conqueror 645

I have a 110 amp battery and always use the mover to move the 'van from its storage position to the car and on arrival at destination use the mover to position the 'van especially if on a CC site. The caravan has all wheel drive (4 movers) and I have never had any problems with the battery which is now 4 years old at least.

Gerry

I have just bought for my new Caravan 110Ah Numax deep cycle battery, when in the shop they had 2 different batteries on show the newmax/cheaper one and another can't remember the make, the salesman said the difference was the more expensive one could start your Car? As I am fitting a motor mover should I have bought the more expensive one or will the 110 numax do?

If he is indeed wise he does not bid you enter the house of wisdom, but rather leads you to the threshold of your own mind.

Kahlil Gibran

Hi,

We only have an 85 a/h battery and have no problems with it,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Just to give an unbiased point of view from another type of mover, our van has a Truma Mover S and we use a 75mAH battery. We mostly use the van on hook-up, but it is in storage when not in use. During the summer months we use the van almost every other weekend, and to date have never had a problem with battery or mover. I have a second battery and in the winter months, when we don't use the van as much, I swap between the two, allowing me to keep the battery charged up.

The only time I've needed Truma's after sales help was when our remote failed, a new one was sent to us next day delivery, so I have no complaints.

Alec

Alec

Car & Caravan

I have just bought for my new Caravan 110Ah Numax deep cycle battery, when in the shop they had 2 different batteries on show the newmax/cheaper one and another can't remember the make, the salesman said the difference was the more expensive one could start your Car? As I am fitting a motor mover should I have bought the more expensive one or will the 110 numax do?

Im not sure which numax you have, if it is the CXV range it could also start your car, they have a MCA rating of 1000 and designed to start marine diesel engines. Marine engines are beasts to start becuase of the larger fly wheels compared to there land lubbing counterparts.

I only use an 85Ah battery with my M/Mover. As yet I have not run out of power and I have a steep drive up to the road to hitch up.

Yes the control on modern MM's is very good and you will be able to use it to hitch up with very small/slow movements of the van.

It is difficult to guesstimate how long the battery will last. There are too many variables to give a definitive figure.

I must admit I don't use the MM if we are going to a rally with no hookups. This conserves the battery for use on the rally. Having said that I have just replaced my 18W (Useless) solar panel with an 80W unit. So in future I may well make more use of the MM when rallying.

Bob R

I have used my van on non electric site's for up to 4 days in summer & still had enough in my 85ah battery to manouver the van onto the drive & do a 380 turn around

If saving pennies is not a major consideration, have a look at something like the Optima Yellow 85Ah battery.

It is solid state, so very safe and has a realtively small footprint and light weight. It is happy to deliver high current. Also worth thinking about is that whereas a normal flooded battery cannot safely be discharged to less than 50% of its rated maximum, the new technology batteries can be discharged almost 100% - and like it. Over a winter storage, they self discharge at no more than 1% per month.

We have used these on boat and in caravan for 4 years and have never taken them home for periodic attention, but they have always delivered plenty of power at the end of the winter.

Im not sure which numax you have, if it is the CXV range it could also start your car, they have a MCA rating of 1000 and designed to start marine diesel engines. Marine engines are beasts to start becuase of the larger fly wheels compared to there land lubbing counterparts.

The marine MCA rating of indentical batteries are 25% higher than the automobile CCA because the tested ambient temperature is different - if you want to use a marine battery to start an car, make sure the MCA rating is 25% higher than the CCA rating on the car's standard battery.

I get my powrtouch model 3 fitted on wednesday. at the secc caravan show powrtouch

said that they recommend an 85ah battery as do the CClub

Something to do with the charger in the caravan.

Tommy G

VW Tiguan 140 Manual Sterling Europa 470 Fixed Bed 06

Hi,

Are movers capable of pushing a van wheel up a leveller, and is there sufficient control to make sure it doesnt go over the top?

MOG

Yes, that's dead easy with all movers except the very early ones without soft-start.

Cheers

An 85ah battery should be fine although a lot of people would recommend a 110 for piece of mind, i have fitted many movers including reich, powrtouch and carver/truma and i always recommend that people just remember to turn the isolator to off when not in use and this will save any unexpected power drain. :)