Condensation In Window

bigbilly

When the weather gets a bit warmer I need to try and get the condensation out of one of the acrylic windows on my caravan.

I have been given some instructions from the manufacturers of the window which involve removing the two small plastic plugs. The last time I tried this on another van I destroyed one of the plugs and the other fell inside the double glazing !

Is there an easy way to remove these plugs or do dealers have a 'special' tool ?

Can you buy replacement plugs anywhere ?

Would be grateful for any comments.

Bill

Guest John KS

I used a pair of tweezers last time I did it. You can get spare plugs from dealers. They are usually hanging on the revolving stand with loads of other useless things that you don't know what they are until you need one!!!!

If you leave out the plugs for a day or so the condensation will go.

Edited by John KS

I used a pair of tweezers last time I did it. You can get spare plugs from dealers. They are usually hanging on the revolving stand with loads of other useless things that you don't know what they are until you need one!!!!

If you leave out the plugs for a day or so the condensation will go.

John

Many thanks

Bill

also - apart from keeping the plugs -- which are at the bottom -- what we did was

-- remove the bungs and have NEW ones ready

-- Starting from the top

-- get the hair dryer and go across and down the window

-- warming it up as you go

-- you MAY see small beads of condensation running down

-- keep on till they are all at the bottom

-- then start over again

-- by the time you get to the bottom again you shouldn't see any and the screen will be slightly warm

-- at this stage put in the NEW bungs --

This should cure it. ..

Maurice

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

also - apart from keeping the plugs -- which are at the bottom -- what we did was

-- remove the bungs and have NEW ones ready

-- Starting from the top

-- get the hair dryer and go across and down the window

-- warming it up as you go

-- you MAY see small beads of condensation running down

-- keep on till they are all at the bottom

-- then start over again

-- by the time you get to the bottom again you shouldn't see any and the screen will be slightly warm

-- at this stage put in the NEW bungs --

This should cure it. ..

Maurice

Maurice

Thanks very much for that.

This is part of what the window manufacturer sent to me :-

" If your window has plugged ventilation holes then remove the plugs. Park your Caravan with the affected window slightly open towards the direct sun. This will slowly draw the moisture out of the air between the panes and from the panes themselves.

It is impossible to say how long this will take; it all depends on how much moisture is there and on the conditions. You may need to be patient. The process can be speeded up by placing a warm, dry towel against the outside pane in hot sunshine. Please be aware that the condensation can appear to go away, only to come back very quickly. This is because there is still moisture within the hydroscopic acrylic material, which needs longer to be drawn out. "

Bill

Edited by bigbilly

Makes you wonder how the moisture got in between the acrylic paynes in the first place.

We have the same problem with ours and found that the two paynes are separation along the bottom edge and thereby letting moisture in.

Yossa

2007 Mondeo 2. 2 TDCi & 2003 Bailey Pageant Bordeaux

Makes you wonder how the moisture got in between the acrylic paynes in the first place.

We have the same problem with ours and found that the two paynes are separation along the bottom edge and thereby letting moisture in.

Yossa

in my caravan book it says this is normal and will clear on its own but i got new plugs from the dealer 30 pence each

AUDI A5 SPORTBACK COACHMAN AMARA + NISSAN 350 Z

Sorry that it is so long winded but this is the rest of the note that the caravan manufacturer sent to me :-

" Modern homes use hermetically sealed double glazed windows. Caravan windows are different. The panes are made from Acrylic, not glass, and air is allowed to circulate between the panes. This means that under extreme conditions it is possible for condensation to form on the inside of the colder (usually the outer) pane. This is nothing to do with the production process of the window, or the vehicle in which it is fitted. The reason is the fundamentally different properties of Acrylic compared to inorganic glass.

Even if the air gap between the panes were to consist of completely dry air during manufacture condensation could still form on the inside of the panes under certain conditions.

The reason is that like practically all organic substances the Acrylic panes can absorb water in molecular form. Presuming the window is free of water to start with; water is initially absorbed from the air on the surface of the panes. The water molecules then penetrate by diffusion into the material itself and end up on the inside of the pane. Here the air between the panes absorbs them. If the water vapour level in the surroundings of the window is high enough, this process continues until the air in the window is completely saturated with moisture.

As the temperature falls the amount of water that can be absorbed by a volume of air decreases. The excess moisture then condenses on nearby cold surfaces where it becomes visible as tiny droplets. This is normally the inside of the outer pane. When the pane heat up again the water evaporates and appears o have vanished. In fact it is still there, invisible, as water vapour in the air.

If the air surrounding the window is dry then the diffusion process starts up again in the opposite direction. The moisture will then disappear from the window, although this may take some time.

Thus the secret of condensation free windows is not to allow the inside of the ‘van to be subject to prolonged high humidity. "

Bill

in my caravan book it says this is normal and will clear on its own but i got new plugs from the dealer 30 pence each

Hi,

Likewise our 'vans have suffered occasionaly but we've left it to clear,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.