Upgrade Of Mtplm

TD 42

I have a 2005 series 5 pagent Champaign to which I have fitted with Bailey approval 185/80/14 102Q tyres. I would like to increase the MTPLM of 1360kg if possible. Has anyone done this & what else needs to be done to achieve it

also can any one explain what "mass of essential habitation equipment " means & what it includes? also why/ what is the "the payload allowance for optional equipment" for?

I have always accepted that the difference between the MRO & the MTPLM was the max you had for payload,inc of battery, gas, mover etc Infact anything you put in or on the van extra to what was on it when it left the factory& am confused as to what the other allowances are for

Thankyou for any reply's TD

Under EN1645, caravan payloads have to comply with certain minimums.

The Essential Habitation Equipment (EHE) includes battery, gas cylinders (90% full), electric cable, step, 90% fluids in water heater, toilet flush and any on-board fresh-water tank.

The Payload Allowance for Personal Effects is a minimum figure based on the number of berths and internal length of the caravan.

The Payload Allowance for Optional Equipment is to make provision for any factory-fit options.

Any caravan can, of course, have a bigger payload than the minimum if the manufacturer so chooses.

Caravan manufacturers do tend to rate their caravans less than the theoretical maximum load to allow for a wider choice of tow vehicles. Thus it is usually possible to increase the load rating. To do this, you need to contact Bailey, who will tell you what you can go up to and will provide a new load rating label to stick over the existing one. There is a charge for this which I believe is in the order of £50. You will also have to increase the tyre pressures to cater for the higher load. If you look on your tyres, you will see a maximum load figure and also a maximum tyre pressure. This will give you some idea of what you can go up to. Obviously you cannot go higher than these figures. It might even be necessary to fit new tyres with a higher load index. It might be sensible to do this anyway as yours are four years old and the recommendation is to change at five years regardless of tread wear.

Brian

Hi TD 42,

This thread went into this a while back See here

Not sure if the list is still current though.

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

Caravan manufacturers do tend to rate their caravans less than the theoretical maximum load to allow for a wider choice of tow vehicles. Thus it is usually possible to increase the load rating. To do this, you need to contact Bailey, who will tell you what you can go up to and will provide a new load rating label to stick over the existing one. There is a charge for this which I believe is in the order of £50. You will also have to increase the tyre pressures to cater for the higher load. If you look on your tyres, you will see a maximum load figure and also a maximum tyre pressure. This will give you some idea of what you can go up to. Obviously you cannot go higher than these figures. It might even be necessary to fit new tyres with a higher load index. It might be sensible to do this anyway as yours are four years old and the recommendation is to change at five years regardless of tread wear.

Brian

I have replaced the original 195/70/14 Reinforced 95N tyres with 185/80/14 102q Tyres which is a speed increase from 87 to 100mph & a load increase from 690 to 850kg per wheel this change came down to not being able to find quality tyres at the original size & was OK'd by Bailey

you can check your tyre size's & tyre pressures relative to load index at the tyresafe website

http://www. tyresafe. org/data/files/caravan%2008. pdf

I upgraded the the weight on my series 6 Pageant Burgundy from 1400 to 1420 kgs via my dealer at a cost of £45 and did not need to change the tyres i recieved the necessary paperwork plus a new plating certificate from Bailey

currently at camping Turiscampo, Lagos, Portugal

escaping the British Winter

Edited by neil and lena

Brian

Hi Brian,

That about sums it up though with our Pageant S5 we didn't need to increase the tyre pressures, suprisingly,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.