Pot Plates, Anyone

sprite

We have a set of melamine plates in the caravan. We have just returned from a few days away in the'van and we were eating when Mrs Sprite suddenly says, 'I wish we had pot plates in the van, food tastes better off them'

It got me thinking, does anyone actually use pottery plates? I know we have a couple of china mugs for the van because tea tastes better but two mugs don't weigh much and can be packed in tea towels without too much fuss, but a sett of plates and dishes is getting a bit much! :mellow:

We use melamine plates,

but for drinks its proper mugs for tea & coffee & glass for alcohol :)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Well we do! We keep 8 pottery mugs, 2 Pyrex dinner plates, 4 large plates, 4 small plates, 4 bowls and around 8 beer and wine glasses and have had them with us since 1994. There has been the odd breakage but usually they have broken while washing up etc and not while travelling, never been a problem. Oh, there's only two of us but they are handy to have when rallying etc.

Pete.

PeterB, 1991 Volvo 940, 1994 LDV 400 and 1997 Swift Fairway.

Yes, we use the real thing - 20 piece Royal Dalton £44, which was 1/2 price from Argos last year. For travelling it's kept in it original packaging/box. Also a decent cutlery set.

Fillet steak tastes so much better :P

Caravanning is for enjoyment, not roughing it!

No doubt some people still use enamel mugs & plates? :lol:

Hi,

If you have enough usable weight capacity then why not? We do take one plate for use in the microwave but Jacki doesn't mind eating off melamine plates. We have China mugs and glasses for the drinks,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

I use the bone china set I bought before we got married nearly thirty two years ago. It was sitting unused at home and it's lighter than a lot of modern pottery. I wouldn't want to use melamine. I started with some crystal glasses I bought in a charity shop too but I got fed up packing them away each time we moved.

Mine: Fiesta; his Mondeo Estate; ours Bailey Olympus534, DD1's Poppy the cocker but she comes with us!

We used to use proper china plates etc,.................Then one day the cupboard door got left open (my fault, or so I was told !) when we arrived at our destination, we opened the caravan door to be greeted by what looked like a Greek Wedding !! Have used nice "bouncy" melamine ever since.

Dave

Dave Baxter

Powerwheel fitter

fitorfix caravan movers

We take the selfish approach !

As there is only the two of us now we use china plates, mugs and cups and proper glass wine glasses. All visitors have melamine and plastic glasses !!

Bill

Guest John KS
We take the selfish approach !

As there is only the two of us now we use china plates, mugs and cups and proper glass wine glasses. All visitors have melamine and plastic glasses !!

Bill

So do we!!!

Interesting useless fact!!!!

We used to sell china (don't anymore, retired!) and customers used to ask us why tea tasted better in a china cup or mug. I found out that the taste buds for tea are at the front of the mouth and because china is thinner it does not throw the tea further back into the mouth. Actually nothing to do with the china itself. :unsure:

We used melamine for a long time and still have a full set of Melamine tableware, but found to our cost that it can't be used in the microwave. I also dislike drinking from melamine mugs. So I bought 2 crockery plates from a local store one weekend and we mainly use those especially if we are going to be using the microwave. We keep glasses in a cupboard which gets a cusion pushed into it before we tow. Having said all that, we've moved on to a seasonal pitch this year, and will be there most of the time, so we might indulge in some 'proper' crockery, as it won't be getting rattled about.

2003 Autotrail 635SE Mercedes Sprinter, 2011 Hyundai i10

'Life is too short to stuff a mushroom.'

China and crystal glass for us. If it breaks, it is so cheap from a supermarket or charity shop. Melamine gives us no pleasure - OK a bit extra weight but worth it.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Thats it the plastic goes.

jeff

. ....me too! :D

My parents motorhome has the full dinner service on, and crystal glasses for every tipple, im not sure you can get plastic martini glasses. when we travel with them it is always an excuse to go to their motorhome in the evening as they have real glasses, nothing to do with the drink or washing up, well thats my excuse.

So we have plastic, it is awful but has its benefits.

im its not even 10am and I now fancy a G&T.

We've used Arcopal for years, just a bit more durable than china.

I have heard this before and they are supposed to be fairly lightweight but can't find a retailer that sells them as lose items as we certainly do not want another load of side plates, cups, bowls etc.

I have also heard that Luminarc are also lightweight and strong.

Edited by Surfer

Proper stuff for us too. Crockery travels with bits of "sticky mat" seperating them and 3 sizes of glasses travel in a cardboard box with dividers in.

Nothing fancy, Tesco's basic white crocks with M&S glasses.

Cheers

Keith

I'm happy to eat from plastic, melamine, newspaper, planks of wood etc etc. . . but drinking from plastic should in my humble opinion be illegal and carry a hefty prison sentance :) ITS JUST WRONG

tea/coffee in china, not tea/coffee in glass

Arcopl is great as it will not break and will stay clean had are set over 10 years most caravan shops sell it

• 3 months later...

On our last few outing we have used light china plates. mugs and decent wine glasses. I have just purchased some nice melamine plates to try. Can anyone tell me please what you would use to clean them?

I will stick to the proper china mugs though as it would put me off my drink to see the tea or coffee stains. Others have said that the way to get rid of the stains is to bleach them during each wash. Any opinons welcome please.

bobsnobs

We have a set of melamine plates in the caravan. We have just returned from a few days away in the'van and we were eating when Mrs Sprite suddenly says, 'I wish we had pot plates in the van, food tastes better off them'

It got me thinking, does anyone actually use pottery plates? I know we have a couple of china mugs for the van because tea tastes better but two mugs don't weigh much and can be packed in tea towels without too much fuss, but a sett of plates and dishes is getting a bit much! :mellow:

As there are usually just 2 of us we keep 2 dinner plates, wine glasses and 4 china mugs in the van, the glasses and mugs are carried in the clips which are fitted in the van cupboard. Food and drink just tastes better from the real thing.

When travelling the dinner plates are wrapped in a couple of clean tea towels and carried in a crate with other delicate stuff which we keep in the van such as remote for the tv, freeview box etc, anything which may fly about when on the move.

When we set up I store the plates in the oven (big useful empty space otherwise) I keep some foil baking dishes in there too which saves washing up.

D & G