Caravan Front Cover

Livi

I overtook an outfit on the M8 today and the front of the caravan had a green cover over it held in place by locators in the awning rails both sides.

This was presumably to protect the front of the van and keep it clean while towing in dirty weather.

Struck me as a good idea and I wonder if it's the product of the owner's ingenuity or if they are available commercially.

I'm sure someone on here will have the answer!

2017 BMW 520d GT. 2012 Pegasus Milan

O wad some power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as others see us

It wad frae monie a blunder free us, An' foolish notion.

one of the stands at the N. E. C was selling them today, I didn't really pay enough attention to remember the companys name but they are available.

Bailey s5 Senator Carolina + Ford Ranger Double Cab + VFR800Fiw

I overtook an outfit on the M8 today and the front of the caravan had a green cover over it held in place by locators in the awning rails both sides.

This was presumably to protect the front of the van and keep it clean while towing in dirty weather.

Struck me as a good idea and I wonder if it's the product of the owner's ingenuity or if they are available commercially.

I'm sure someone on here will have the answer!

But won't they scratch the front windows ?

Radiotwo

Steve - Land Cruiser Amazon Auto + Pageant Series 5 Champagne

The match between car and caravan is perfect in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 49%.

OH I do hate to be the bearer of bad news, but in my honest opinion DON'T bother ! yes they do stop the front window getting scratched BUT where they fit to the awning rail they tend to flap at the edges and scratch the paint work I used one twice then sold it. I bought mine from acompany in Rushden in Northamptonshire.

Verdict. ..... Keep your hard earnt money in your pocket

Good tip. ..... buy some miracle dry wash. .. this can be used on site to wash and polish dirty vans and cars with out water, NO scratching and leaves a BEAUTIFULL shine on your outfit

we have had one for years -- and contrary to opinion they do NOT harm the caravan whilst towing -- I could see that some of the heavier ones might -- but we have had a front end one -[for towing] - and a full one [for storage] from Rushden Cover systems. .

see here

Cover systems

they are light weight and endorsed by many major car companies -- Lotus - RR -- Jensen etc.

they really do work and save all the trying to clean down the front of the van of flies and tar -- etc after a long hot journey. .

only takes a min to put on and take off. .

Maurice

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold ?) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

OH I do hate to be the bearer of bad news, but in my honest opinion DON'T bother ! yes they do stop the front window getting scratched BUT where they fit to the awning rail they tend to flap at the edges and scratch the paint work I used one twice then sold it. I bought mine from acompany in Rushden in Northamptonshire.

Verdict. ..... Keep your hard earnt money in your pocket

Good tip. ..... buy some miracle dry wash. .. this can be used on site to wash and polish dirty vans and cars with out water, NO scratching and leaves a BEAUTIFULL shine on your outfit

Yes, it was the flapping attachments at the awning rail that attracted my attention as I passed.

Having checked the prices on the links posted, I'll certainly be giving it a miss. It occurs to me that arriving on site with a soaking wet and filthy cover to remove and store probably isn't something I could be bothered with.

Thanks for the answers folks!

the one that I have is tailored for the van -- and slides in the awning rail at both sides at the front -- then elasticated straps come across the front of the van held together by plastic clips -- there are NO flapping bits what-so-ever they at the bottom fit under the A-frame and front cowling -- again with elasticated straps. - again no flippy floppy bits -- I would be the first to complain if there was any thing like that --

However I can only speak for the one that I have -- which also is made of a very light weight silver coloured fabric.

Each to there own though.

Maurice

the one that I have is tailored for the van -- and slides in the awning rail at both sides at the front -- then elasticated straps come across the front of the van held together by plastic clips -- there are NO flapping bits what-so-ever they at the bottom fit under the A-frame and front cowling -- again with elasticated straps. - again no flippy floppy bits -- I would be the first to complain if there was any thing like that --

However I can only speak for the one that I have -- which also is made of a very light weight silver coloured fabric.

Each to there own though.

Maurice

But what do you do with the filthy wet cover when you arrive on site?

I've frequently arrived on site with the front of the 'van covered in mud and cow-s**t in wet conditions.

I really wouldn't fancy having to handle a similarly coated cover as part of the setting up process. ;)

simply roll it up - in-wards -and put it in a orange Sainsbury bag -- yes it packs that small. .

-- [well thats what we do any way]

but generaly it isnt THAT wet -- and by the time you have undone the three clips all - if any - water has fallen off. .

Maurice

I have just purchased one from Pro-tec in grey. I will be using it for the first time this weekend and hope that it will keep the front of the 'van clean from diesel fumes and road-dirt.

A question for those that use them, do you keep them on when the 'van is in storage - my own thoughts are that the rain would run down behind the cover !!!!!!!! so best to remove.

Gerry

2005 Kia Sorento 2. 5 Auto towing 2011 Conqueror 645

Archived