Spare Wheel Security

Guest Tephi

This morning I finally got round to fitting the jacking brackets for my 'Kojack'.

While under the 'van I took the opportunity to remove the securing pin from the under floor Alko spare wheel carrier and replaced it with a padlock, Supplied by Al-Ko for £6-51, but any 25mm brass padlock would probably do.

It locates through the hole where the securing chain is usually positioned. This prevents the black plastic knob from being removed, preventing access to the spare wheel.

It wouldn't stop a determined thief with a bolt cutter, but it will stop the opportunist taking your spare wheel in a matter of seconds.

No-one can get a spare wheel out of an Al-Ko holder in seconds, have you actually tried yours? They normally seize up or there's insufficient ground clearance to get the wheel past the chassis.

I do, of course, have a small padlock on mine just for appearances sake.

Hi Tephi.

Now that you have the jacking points fitted, you will find it much easier to remove the spare wheel by jacking up the side of the caravan that has the handwheel for the spare wheel carrier.

So it now it makes good sense to fit a padlock to the handwheel just in case someone is looking to steal a spare wheel and has the appropriate jack with them.

BTW the Al-Ko jack for my caravan is always in the car partly for reasons of weight, but I also think the security of caravan locker doors is very poor.

Cheers.

John.

This morning I finally got round to fitting the jacking brackets for my 'Kojack'.

While under the 'van I took the opportunity to remove the securing pin from the under floor Alko spare wheel carrier and replaced it with a padlock, Supplied by Al-Ko for £6-51, but any 25mm brass padlock would probably do.

It locates through the hole where the securing chain is usually positioned. This prevents the black plastic knob from being removed, preventing access to the spare wheel.

It wouldn't stop a determined thief with a bolt cutter, but it will stop the opportunist taking your spare wheel in a matter of seconds.

You may well find that the padlock will seize up (and the handwheel) as it is directly in line with the spray from the wheel. To solve this, take a small plastic lidded pudding basin (or a small storage tub - about 40p from Tesco) drill a hole through the bottom of it, fit over the bolt - then put the handwheel and padlock on. Then put the lid on - bingo - watertight.

Mike

Thanks SBS - now that sounds like a good Idea - but it was dificult enough to tighten the hand wheel so that I could insert the shackle of the lock - but will try it anyway.