Satellite Positioning / Setup Guides

a18041967

I've purchased a cheap Maplin satellite system for use on sites where I'm unable to receive normal TV signals, no desire to watch Sky etc.

It works well and happily used in France but to be honest setting it up and positiong the dish is more luck than judgement, with me normally working around the site seeing where other dishes are pointing.

I have a basic sat finder and compass, but would like some pointers to sites or articles that show how to locate the dish. I'm unsure as to how the satellite positions ( degrees etc etc ) relate to a compass baring.

I've seen an electronic satellite finder in Maplin's for £35 but I have the feeling I will be wasting my money.

The receiver is a free to air, does not have a card slot, will I be able to receive Freesat with this equipment?

Thanks

I've purchased a cheap Maplin satellite system for use on sites where I'm unable to receive normal TV signals, no desire to watch Sky etc.

It works well and happily used in France but to be honest setting it up and positiong the dish is more luck than judgement, with me normally working around the site seeing where other dishes are pointing.

I have a basic sat finder and compass, but would like some pointers to sites or articles that show how to locate the dish. I'm unsure as to how the satellite positions ( degrees etc etc ) relate to a compass baring.

I've seen an electronic satellite finder in Maplin's for £35 but I have the feeling I will be wasting my money.

The receiver is a free to air, does not have a card slot, will I be able to receive Freesat with this equipment?

Thanks

Is it the Maxview sat finder? If so I have one and find it useful for finding the general direction of the satellite I want. You do need to recalibrate it at each site which only takes a few second. Even with the sat finder I still have difficulty!!! I tend to get a lot of German channels before I find the UK ones.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Hi,

I use the basic £10 satfinder and it works ok though as David said, you must lock on to the correct Sat which for Sky is 07d4 which, in the case of our decoder, is displayed on the TV screen. I only use the compass to get somewhere near South facing,

Regards,

Ian.

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

With my Sky receiver, what I do is this.

Connect one end of the Finder by a short length of cable to the LNB and the other end of the Finder to the cable which goes to the Receiver – must be the correct way around, I connect the Finder at the dish end so that I can see/hear the tone and adjust the attenuation to suit – works fine.

Power up the Sky receiver.

With the attenuation setting knob on the Finder, I usually rotate this to about 3/4 to start with.

Bolt the dish mount firmly to the tripod with the mounting clamp - different to the Azimuth clamp.

Set up the tripod vertical and peg it down. I use a circular type level which sits on the top of the tripod. This is important so that when the dish is swung, it intersects the arc of satellites at its true point relative to its elevation.

Usually there is a graph supplied with the kit which gives Azimuth (compass) setting and Elevation angles for the dish. Also there is a Skew angle provided, this is the angle that the LNB is rotated to on the Dish arm – set this. Once the Skew is set, I usually leave it set – about 12 degrees clockwise of vertical from the front - with the cable down.

Set the Elevation as specified and lock it up.

Using the compass I find East and point the dish to it. This is all I use the compass is used for i. e. rough positioning and checking for clear line of site to the Satellite, no trees etc. but keep it well clear of the dish so as to not be affected by any inherent magnetism in the steelwork.

Even with the sat finder I still have difficulty!!! I tend to get a lot of German channels before I find the UK ones.

David

Best to point the dish East and swing to the South, that way you will miss Astra 1 and Hotbird etc and the first signal you should pick up will be Astra 2 – if in fact that is what you want.

Dish then needs to be swung in the direction of the Azimuth setting – 28. 2 degrees East of South for Astra 2D (Sky Digital), lightly clamp it such that it can rotate. If you leave it loose without clamping it, the Elevation can alter when you clamp it after that has been set.

Once located, slowly rotate one way then the other – the Finder will start to sound, watch the needle and note when it peaks. If you move too much you might pick up an adjacent Satellite.

It will probably go off the scale so turn the knob down till it is about 3/4s up the scale.

Slowly rotate the dish again and stop when the needle peaks. Don’t assume that because the Finder needle has gone to the end of the scale it has peaked. You can only be sure of it peaking if it still has some scale left to go when the needle won’t go any the scale any further.

I now go back to the Elevation and carefully trim this to make sure that the Signal strength and quality have peaked.

Gentle slow movements are required.

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

I also use a sat finder as an aid to setting up, however, so far as elevation is concerned I set my dish up at home here in S Devon. I have a circular level on my tripod so know when the tripod is vertical. Once I have found the satellite I use a piece of wood to adjust the tripod to give me the best signal rather than fiddle with resetting the elevation each time. It only takes me a matter of 5 or less minutes once on site here in the UK. Having said that it just takes a little longer in France as the elevation needs to be more but it has never caused me a problem.

Gerry

2005 Kia Sorento 2. 5 Auto towing 2011 Conqueror 645

Try this www. dishpointer. com. Enter your chosen site location(s) adjust to exact spot by dragging the arrow head and print off a copy or copies to take with you.

After a few attempts you will find it quite easy without a compass. Remember your scouting days? Moss grows on the north side of trees etc. Joking apart looking at other dishes gives a starting point. In France remember the French may be using 5°W or 19°E depending on whether they are using digital or analogue. Biggest problem is judging clearance over trees or buildings (or even mountains on odd occasions).

Nothing wrong with walking round the site to see where other dishes are pointing, would be my number one tip :D

I don't claim any expertise but what I do is start by setting the box so I can see the signal strength and quality and then pointing the dish roughly south and move the dish east or left from behind. The German Satellite is almost always the first one I pick up like david said. This Sattellite is apparently stronger than than the British Satellite so i use this as a reference the british Sattelite is about 10 degrees further east and a bit lower in the sky so the dish needs to be about 2 degrees lower. So in summary it's a case of finding the German satellite then left a bit and down a bit. It is a knack not a skill and once you have done it a few times it gets easier and doesn't take any time at all.

One thought though if you are north of say Carlisle then you might need a larger dish

I find the real "nugget" of advice as contained in a couple of the replies here is to come from the EAST, moving south, not from south moving east.

By coming from the EAST the first satellite cluster you find and excites any Satfinder is the one you want. The other way round the satfinder gets excited by various satellites you are not interested in and only servers to confuse; well me any how.

[unless you have a very expensive satfinder that tells you the satellites identity. The cheapo ones only tell you there is a strong signal not that the signal is any use to you.]

Thanks

Is it the "suitcase" Maplin setup with the small dish? If so how far south were you in France? I am only interested because I could not get anything just south of Tours with the same setup!

DavidC
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe Premium pulling 2013 Coachman Pastiche
1996 Jaguar XJ6 Sovereign LWB (For Sale) 1970 Jaguar E Type Coupe 1967 Morris Oxford Farina & 1973 MGB roadster

I have a UK setup and my Jodrell Bank Europe setup.

For the UK I have a standard House Dish on a little tripod that always just works when you point it at the Satellite.

However once I leave these shores I use a 90cm dish mounted on a sturdy tripod. Again once you've set it up a few times it becomes 2nd nature however I would say that the further south you go you need to pay a lot of attention to the skew of the LNB. We were in northern Spain last year and had all the channels apart from the narrow beam (Terrestrial channels basically) even though I had good signal strength. Got the skew settings for northern Spain correct and also got all the narrow channels.

As previously posted everything you need is on David Sullivan's excellent site http://www. satelliteforcaravans. co. uk/

Edited by BlisteringBlue

2011 Volvo V50 drivE - Bailey Ranger 500/5

I have a UK setup and my Jodrell Bank Europe setup.

For the UK I have a standard House Dish on a little tripod that always just works when you point it at the Satellite.

However once I leave these shores I use a 90cm dish mounted on a sturdy tripod. Again once you've set it up a few times it becomes 2nd nature however I would say that the further south you go you need to pay a lot of attention to the skew of the LNB. We were in northern Spain last year and had all the channels apart from the narrow beam (Terrestrial channels basically) even though I had good signal strength. Got the skew settings for northern Spain correct and also got all the narrow channels.

As previously posted everything you need is on David Sullivan's excellent site http://www. satelliteforcaravans. co. uk/

The dishpointer link above gives azimuth, elevation and skew for any location entered. It also gives distance to height measurements for obstructions as well as an aerial picture of the site.

My box, sat in a suitcase type, has a built in meter, you just need to be able to see the screen. In fact, you only have to hear the screen as it outputs a high pitched tone that goes up as the signal gets stronger.

It's all I've ever used and have never had too much trouble finding the right sat.

Seeing where others have their dish pointing is a very good start. What I would say is set it up at home a few times.

It's definately a knack and knowing what to look for rather than any great skill tbh.

But for the record. ..

I have a standard compass, set to point in the rough direction of the sat, set up using my dish at home.

I mount my dish on a single pole, hammered into the ground, I set the dish vertical at 90 degrees to the hotizontal and point it in the rough direction my compass indicates.

I then turn slowly while listening to the output tone, once it hits the high pitch, I go inside and usually find I have a picture, job done. The only other tweak I may need is to adjust the vertical setting of the dish for more signal strength.

In 3 years, I've never failed to find the signal yet.

The more you do it the easier it gets. :)

Is it the "suitcase" Maplin setup with the small dish? If so how far south were you in France? I am only interested because I could not get anything just south of Tours with the same setup!

David,

I have a free to air system from Aldi which came with a small dish. I bought a Triax 64cm dish with folding arm for about £30 to use with the system in the South of France. With this I could get most ITV and BBC regional channels and all the others which were available on the receiver. The picture quality was perfect.

Roger