Freelander 2

bigbilly

I want to change my 2006 X Trail Dci 2. 2 in the coming weeks/months. Not sure whether to go new or 12 months old but through a process of elimination and use of forums, like this one, have the Freelander 2 at the top of my short list. I have also decided to go automatic for the first time which is not entirely new to me but it is for towing. I tow 1,550 Kgs.

Every report I have seen is praiseworthy even the Top Gear one only tells you to avoid the petrol engine version because of running costs.

I know they are expensive, compared to similar spec. cars, at the top end of the range but IMHO the best 'value' seems to be the GS version as I don't need the 'bells & whistles'..

Do owners of them think there are any drawbacks or downsides at all that I should consider ? I can't see on the LR website but I assume it is only supplied with a 'spacesaver' spare wheel ?

I am assuming that the long term future of LR is OK !!!!

Bill

I looked at Freelander 2 very seriously a year ago as it's a very competent SUV both on- and off-road - in the end it was the high cost which put me off as I do like certain luxuries, like leather and sunroof.

There are three alternatives on the spare wheel - a skinny space-saver suitable for emergencies (I don't know if towing is permitted) - a full-size steel wheel with full size tyre - a full size alloy with full size tyre - the spare wheel is stored internal, unlike many SUVs so is kept clean and secure but it does mean the boot floor is high - the boot isn't as big in area as a family estate, for instance, when the seats are up but it's got good height so the volume isn't compromised.

The TD engine is the usual Peugeot/Citroen/Ford/ Land-Rover unit which has an expensive high pressure fuel pump which can fail - but no more often than other diesels with high pressure common rail engines, ie virtually all of them!

There should be some excellent deals around, use UK Car Discount to compare http://www. uk-car-discount. co. uk/ you should be looking at £2500-3000 off list price for a GS at the moment.

I have one and am very happy with it, BUT if I were to be extremely critical;

Fuel economy of D Auto is around 30mpg only in general driving unless you spend a lot of time on the motorway.

Boot lip is high, and as stated it isn't huge.

Dash can look a bit plasticky in places.

No iPod USB control as std.

Need fairly high spec one to get a good level of std spec, and even then almost everything is an extra

As for discounts. . talk to several LR dealers they will most likely match anything the brokers/super sites can do they are usually very accommodating at the moment

Edited by Mickyblueyes

I want to change my 2006 X Trail Dci 2. 2 in the coming weeks/months. Not sure whether to go new or 12 months old but through a process of elimination and use of forums, like this one, have the Freelander 2 at the top of my short list. I have also decided to go automatic for the first time which is not entirely new to me but it is for towing. I tow 1,550 Kgs.

Every report I have seen is praiseworthy even the Top Gear one only tells you to avoid the petrol engine version because of running costs.

I know they are expensive, compared to similar spec. cars, at the top end of the range but IMHO the best 'value' seems to be the GS version as I don't need the 'bells & whistles'..

Do owners of them think there are any drawbacks or downsides at all that I should consider ? I can't see on the LR website but I assume it is only supplied with a 'spacesaver' spare wheel ?

I am assuming that the long term future of LR is OK !!!!

Bill

Bill,

I have a manual GS but haven,t towed much with it yet.

I went on the Land Rover Experience a couple of weeks ago using a TD4 Auto. This was great to drive and had I not already got a manual I would have been tempted to go for the auto. The mpg of the auto may be a downside.

Have you seen this site? www. Freel2. com where there are lots of interesting comments from owners.

Roger

I note the LR web site is advertising £5000 off till April. I recieved in the post today their leaflet on the FLander but it is very thin on technical data, e. g. tow ball weight? The FR seems to tick all the boxes until I read on the forums about reliability. This thread also made me think about long term life of LR.

Chris in Warwickshire, Elddis Odyssey 482 (2008), Mitsubishi Outlander diesel, 2017

I note the LR web site is advertising £5000 off till April. I recieved in the post today their leaflet on the FLander but it is very thin on technical data, e. g. tow ball weight? The FR seems to tick all the boxes until I read on the forums about reliability. This thread also made me think about long term life of LR.

Hi Chris,

Regarding technical data try the LR website, as for reliability there will always be people who shout long and hard about the reliability of certain manufacturers (It's well documented that the LR2 is a vast inprovement if you believe the reports). Apparently my Citroen should have fallen to pieces by now as should the other four in our family but it doesn't appear to be happening in fact a Citroen AX is struggling with 125000 miles on the clock as it has failed its MOT on a suspension bush :D .

Regarding longevity of the brand. ......only LR will know that, the rest is pure speculation. I have long said that if we like it we'll buy it,

Regards,

Ian.

Edited by ian dunning

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

There are three alternatives on the spare wheel - a skinny space-saver suitable for emergencies (I don't know if towing is permitted) - a full-size steel wheel with full size tyre - a full size alloy with full size tyre - the spare wheel is stored internal, unlike many SUVs so is kept clean and secure but it does mean the boot floor is high - the boot isn't as big in area as a family estate, for instance, when the seats are up but it's got good height so the volume isn't compromised.

Actually having a Freelander 2 the three options on the spare are;

With the Freelander 2 "S" Basic Model no spare wheel what you get is a tin of puncture repair and a compressor. (You can buy a spare should you wish)

On all the other models you get a steel wheel spare and it is not a skinny spare mine has 18 inch wheels the spare is a 17 inch but the same width as the original.

The 3rd option is buy a fullsize wheel and tyre.

It is fine to tow with except you are limited to 50mph due to the steel wheel with fixings suitable for alloy wheels.

The storage space for the spare under the floor in the Freelander 2 is large enough to take all sizes of spares including the 19 inch Shadow chrome wheels.

Mine pulls better than my old TD5 and that had a remap and uses less fuel also.

Should you decide to buy, I bought a nearly new (6 months old) it was 10k cheaper than new.

Edited by ad210358

Actually having a Freelander 2 the three options on the spare are;

With the Freelander 2 "S" Basic Model no spare wheel what you get is a tin of puncture repair and a compressor. (You can buy a spare should you wish)

On all the other models you get a steel wheel spare and it is not a skinny spare mine has 18 inch wheels the spare is a 17 inch but the same width as the original.

The 3rd option is buy a fullsize wheel and tyre.

It is fine to tow with except you are limited to 50mph due to the steel wheel with fixings suitable for alloy wheels.

The storage space for the spare under the floor in the Freelander 2 is large enough to take all sizes of spares including the 19 inch Shadow chrome wheels.

Mine pulls better than my old TD5 and that had a remap and uses less fuel also.

Should you decide to buy, I bought a nearly new (6 months old) it was 10k cheaper than new.

Steel wheels are fine with fixings for alloy wheels, it's the other way round that's a problem.

We are very pleased with our FL2 GS. Had it for 2 years now and there are no downsides from what we want in a towcar.

It tows our 1500kg van with ease. We have been up in the alps in Switzerland, all over France and into Spain towing with it and no problems. Fuel consumption when towing has been 29 mpg in Spain (limited to 50 mph) and down to 21 mpg in France (about 65 mph into a strong headwind). Solo its quite easy to get over 40 mpg on a decent run.

Our previous car was an X Trail and the FL 2 is so much better.

Pete.

bigbilly,

OK I am 100% biased, I have owned a Freelander2 since Jan 07, one of the very first cars on the road.

I'm currently at 52,000 miles in mine and there is still a 'feel good' factor everytime I get behind the wheel.

If you take a look at the forum 'freel2. com' yes you will see that some owners have reported the odd problem, but you know you wont find a car that doesn't have the occasional problem.

I have seriously used my car, many miles on road, and off road (serious), towed a caravan, used at work as a training vehicle. My car has not been molly-coddled it has worked for its living. This has been the best car I've owned in over 37 years of motoring. You are spot on in looking a the GS, all the basics but nothing over the top, since I got mine another 5 colleagues at work have got one.

As for towing, we tow 1400kg it is as though it isn't there. It is a delight to drive with the van in tow, but the mpg does drop. My towing mpg has averaged 22-23 at best, but I do make good progress. When not towing I get excellent mpg, if you visit Freel2 you see what I mean. I'm currently at 52,000 miles on original rubber and have achieved a whole life average fuel consumption of 37. 2 mpg.

I'm happy to answer any questions you might raise, here or over on Freel2 . ...

At this very moment I have a £27k+ Volvo on the drive, a demonstrator for my next car, its very nice, but I would choose the Freelander2 over it any day, unfortunately the politics of my car scheme don't allow me to choose another FL2, if they did I would !!!!

Edited by jetA1

I recently bought a 4 month old (ex land rover car) HSE auto with premium pack, it had done 4000 miles and i saved 13k on new price. The car is really excellent as a tow car. I have a new Abbey 416 spectrum with and mtplm of about 1650kg. The FL2 tows it better than most 4wds I have owned. I have towed with Range Rover sport, BMW X5, landscruisers and numerous others.

The auto box is seamless. Obviously the fuel consumption on any 4wd is going to be down on most similar engined saloon cars but thats the only 'negative' if thats what you want to call it.

The spec on the HSE is as good as you will get. The comfort, ride and everything about the car is as good as all the write ups.

It comes top in just about every compact 4x4 review, even against the new Audi and Volvo (they probably wont be around much longer anyway. ....or is that the other boring swedish manufacturer!!!).

It certainly gets my vote.

Edited by ashtons99

Thanks very much for all the comments - they have been much appreciated and I'm certainly not put off - just a bit more thirsty than my X Trail. .

I am always nervous of negative comments posted on 'Owners' only specific forums. I always remember from my customer service training days that a large American courier was convinced that if a customer was unhappy with a product/service they told on average 9 people. Conversely if the customer was happy with a product/service they only tell one person !! I sure there must be some truth in that. Forums have changed the numbers though !!

I did like the sound of the new Forrester diesel until RogerL pointed out the kerbweight wasn't enough for my caravan - I had assumed it was much heavier. I discounted the new X Trail automatic as from memory it had a ridiculously low towing weight (1,300 Kgs max).

So it looks like the FL2 it is. Best deals in my area, Norfolk, at the moment seem to be low mileage (demonstrators ?), up to 5,000 miles and about 6 months old.

Only one comment about the auto gearbox so I assume it is OK - is it 6 speed ?

Many thanks

Bill

I presume the auto is a conventional one with a fluid flywheel and not one of these modern dual clutch electronic types. The fluid flywheel (if thats the right name) being good I gather for towing and low speed manouvering.

Chris in Warwickshire, Elddis Odyssey 482 (2008), Mitsubishi Outlander diesel, 2017

The autobox used in Freelander 2 is the Aisin-Warner, built in Japan by a division of Toyota. It's used by Toyota, Volvo, Saab, Opel/Vauxhall and more recently by Ford, Land-Rover, Peugeot and Citroen - it'll cope with the torque of the 3. 0 Isuzu V6 diesel fitted in Vauxhalls so the 2. 2 TD of the Freelander 2 should be easy.

It is at torque converter type but it has lock-up clutches to take the energy-absorbing converter out of the pwer line once criusing speeds are reach - so fuel consumption is only marginally worse on paper than the manual - many drivers find they get slightly better consumption from it as it's more often in the correct gear!

Thanks RogerL, I had just been on the LR site and could get no info on the transmission (v brief summery) or suspension, nor could I find the tow ball weight limit. Sounds a good auto, odd they don't shout obout it on their web site.

fuel consumption is only marginally worse on paper than the manual - many drivers find they get slightly better consumption from it as it's more often in the correct gear!

Hi Roger

If you compare the new 'stop/start' FL 2 Diesel (due out later this year) with the Auto Diesel, on paper the combined fuel economy for the manual is 41. 3 mpg and the combined fuel economy for the auto is 33. 2 mpg. The CO2 emissions are also significantly better at 179 for the manual and 224 for the auto.

I am just waiting to see if the starter motor etc can stand up to the additional use before we buy our next FL 2.

Pete

Thanks RogerL, I had just been on the LR site and could get no info on the transmission (v brief summery) or suspension, nor could I find the tow ball weight limit. Sounds a good auto, odd they don't shout obout it on their web site.

Hi Chris

The tow ball weight limit for the FL 2 is 150kgs.

Pete

Hi Roger

If you compare the new 'stop/start' FL 2 Diesel (due out later this year) with the Auto Diesel, on paper the combined fuel economy for the manual is 41. 3 mpg and the combined fuel economy for the auto is 33. 2 mpg. The CO2 emissions are also significantly better at 179 for the manual and 224 for the auto.

I am just waiting to see if the starter motor etc can stand up to the additional use before we buy our next FL 2.

Pete

That's not comparing like with like - the fair comparison is between conventional manual and auto - or - stop/start manual and stop/start auto - not - stop/start manual and conventional auto.

Hi Roger

Now I may be wrong but I did not think that a start/stop auto was being introduced and that all manual FL 2's will be start/stop. (With the ability to switch it off if you want to.) Thats why I did the comparison because in a few months time, as I understand it, that will be the only choice if you are buying new.

No doubt someone will enlighten me about an auto stop/start. :)

Pete

Hi Roger

Pete

Pete,

Autocar did a brief test/article on the FL2 Stop/Start and it has a heavy duty starter motor,battery and other items have been beefed up.

I understand from about March all FL2,s will come with stop/start with no price increase. Also it can be switched off if preferred.

Roger

Hi Chris

The tow ball weight limit for the FL 2 is 150kgs.

Pete

Thanks, your better than the LR web site

You can download the handbooks from the LR owners website if you want. (You are directed here from the main LR site where you get the brochures etc. ,. but its not obvious) http://www. ownerinfo. landrover. com/extfree. ..rprod/index. jsp

We are very pleased with the FL2 GS auto we bought second-hand in October. It tows our 1500kg lump like a dream. The FL2 makes great progress away from the lights and out of roundabouts when towing. The auto box is very smooth - solo or attached!! (It is probably one of the best auto boxes we've had).

NB1. the Alko chassis has a noseweight limit of 100kg, so the 150kg is only for agricultural trailers and the ilk.

NB2. the kerbweight of my GS auto is stated as 1970kg (LR spec is from 1770 iirc) so you'll only be around 79% with 1550 on the back.

We don't get aything like the consumption figures given by others - but we're mostly short journeys and virtually no motorways (there are none in these parts!). In just over 1600 miles (410 towing) we've averaged 26. 7 mpg. I'm due another fill shortly, but the computer is only showing 23mpg :( However in this regard it is no worse than the Kia Sportage auto we had before - but the perfomance is soooo much better!!!

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

You can download the handbooks from the LR owners website if you want. (You are directed here from the main LR site where you get the brochures etc. ,. but its not obvious) http://www. ownerinfo. landrover. com/extfree. ..rprod/index. jsp

We are very pleased with the FL2 GS auto we bought second-hand in October. It tows our 1500kg lump like a dream. The FL2 makes great progress away from the lights and out of roundabouts when towing. The auto box is very smooth - solo or attached!! (It is probably one of the best auto boxes we've had).

NB1. the Alko chassis has a noseweight limit of 100kg, so the 150kg is only for agricultural trailers and the ilk.

NB2. the kerbweight of my GS auto is stated as 1970kg (LR spec is from 1770 iirc) so you'll only be around 79% with 1550 on the back.

We don't get aything like the consumption figures given by others - but we're mostly short journeys and virtually no motorways (there are none in these parts!). In just over 1600 miles (410 towing) we've averaged 26. 7 mpg. I'm due another fill shortly, but the computer is only showing 23mpg :( However in this regard it is no worse than the Kia Sportage auto we had before - but the perfomance is soooo much better!!!

I'm only about 40 mile away in Norfolk !!

Bill

Edited by bigbilly