Tree Damage

rodie

we had some trees cut down by a proper tree surgeon and they had an accident and our van was hit by a smallish branch, but it hit our van and the roof and back panelare damaged, i spoke to the place we brought from and it seems it could be £3600 of damage for a new rear and new side, the damage is 2 hits on rear panel breaking fibreglass and the hit on top(corner)and side creasing 32 down on side panel, thedamage inside is that the gap on the cabinets are slightly different near where it has been hit by about 2mm and a small amount of damage to rear of a cabinet, any one had any dealings of a damage van !

rod

we had some trees cut down by a proper tree surgeon and they had an accident and our van was hit by a smallish branch, but it hit our van and the roof and back panelare damaged, i spoke to the place we brought from and it seems it could be £3600 of damage for a new rear and new side, the damage is 2 hits on rear panel breaking fibreglass and the hit on top(corner)and side creasing 32 down on side panel, thedamage inside is that the gap on the cabinets are slightly different near where it has been hit by about 2mm and a small amount of damage to rear of a cabinet, any one had any dealings of a damage van !

rod

Hi Rod

I presume the tree surgeons were insured and are going to pay for the repairs??

Just take it to a dealers and they will replace all the necessary panels and pieces to make it like new. If the van is valued less than the repair I expect it will be written off.

There are also some specialit companies that just do repairs to vans. Google ""Caravan Repairs"

Bob R

Hi Rod

I presume the tree surgeons were insured and are going to pay for the repairs??

Just take it to a dealers and they will replace all the necessary panels and pieces to make it like new. If the van is valued less than the repair I expect it will be written off.

There are also some specialit companies that just do repairs to vans. Google ""Caravan Repairs"

Bob R

yes they are insured, the van was £7500 last aug, are there any good repairers in or near the s west, any one has any dealings, can the van be repaired so it wont leak in future and a pretty good repair Edited by rodie

yes they are insured, the van was £7500 last aug, are there any good repairers in or near the s west, any one has any dealings, can the van be repaired so it wont leak in future and a pretty good repair

Hi Rodie,

Is this the 'van that you are planning on towing down to the Dordogne(?) and leaving it sited there?

If so I really hope they do a good job as you'll have one hell of a journet to get anything out right!

Hope it all turns out well for you.

G.

Hi Rodie,

Is this the 'van that you are planning on towing down to the Dordogne(?) and leaving it sited there?

If so I really hope they do a good job as you'll have one hell of a journet to get anything out right!

Hope it all turns out well for you.

G.

yes it is, i have been told its a 3 month time scale also to fix van, so bang goes our holiday plans

Is the damage bad enough to stop you going away ? Can any repair wait till you get back ?

Out with the gaffer tape :ph34r:

Regards

SuperMike

together with

Management and Lady Faith Finesse, who is a Black & Tan Cavalier KCS - Gorgeous Girl, and my wife is as well.

Sedona 2. 9TDi - Swift Conqueror 645 LUX

CAVALIERS ARE LIKE SUNSHINE, THEY BRIGHTEN UP YOUR DAY.

You could try The Caravan Medic, free-phone 08080373737 or www. thecaravanmedic. co. uk

They did a great job on mine, came out to the house and had it fixed within a fortnight.

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

Rod- have you involved your own insurance company - won't they liaise with the tree surgeons company and sort it out for you?

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

Rod- have you involved your own insurance company - won't they liaise with the tree surgeons company and sort it out for you?

i havent as yet, it happened on friday, tree guy is bringing his insurance details this weekend, should i contact our insurers now?

we are leaving the van in france long term, we havent even used the van yet :angry:

i havent as yet, it happened on friday, tree guy is bringing his insurance details this weekend, should i contact our insurers now?

we are leaving the van in france long term, we havent even used the van yet :angry:

Rod - if it were me I would be in touch with them asap - explain the situation and see what they recommend. hope you get it sorted and can still go to france.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi we have had a few quotes for the damage to our van, one co wants to re new the whole side and the roof and rear fibreglass panel, one co wants to repair damage to side panel (damage is to top edge2"dent ),repair or replace roof and re new rear panel, all work is garanteed, is it better to have less done, ie a new side may not fit properly and are usualy supplied damaged any way and caravan will be heavier on 1 side by 10-15 kg , is a painting job really a no no on a caravan ?i am a worried a new side may cause a bit more grief as it can go wrong, 3 month to wait for part etc, so may be less intrusive is the way to go, any feed back welcome

rod

Hi we have had a few quotes for the damage to our van, one co wants to re new the whole side and the roof and rear fibreglass panel, one co wants to repair damage to side panel (damage is to top edge2"dent ),repair or replace roof and re new rear panel, all work is garanteed, is it better to have less done, ie a new side may not fit properly and are usualy supplied damaged any way and caravan will be heavier on 1 side by 10-15 kg , is a painting job really a no no on a caravan ?i am a worried a new side may cause a bit more grief as it can go wrong, 3 month to wait for part etc, so may be less intrusive is the way to go, any feed back welcome

rod

Hi Rodie - when I had to have a side removed and put back, my dealer said it was far too big a job for them and it would have to go back to Coachman. This also involved a new front end panel being replaced as well but nothing done with the roof. Can only suggest that you ensure any company can handle these large repairs before you give the go ahead. If you require a new roof, side and rear panels, is it worth repairing and won't your insurance company right it off?? good luck

Hi rodie,

You may not have a choice as the insurer's assessor won't allow excess, and possibly unecessary, work to be carried out so you may find that they will only pay for the side to be repaired though you can always argue the case,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

yes they are insured, the van was £7500 last aug, are there any good repairers in or near the s west, any one has any dealings, can the van be repaired so it wont leak in future and a pretty good repair

Hi sorry to hear about the damage to your van :-(

I have used Caravan Repairs south west on a couple of occasions for my bailey and have been very satisfied with the work, i know that they can do total rebuilds also from side panels to roofs etc.

The engineer is called Steve and they also do a free digital picture quotation service, so you could email pictures to them for an estimate which is very handy.

there numer is 01761 453147 or mobile 0778 465520 and they are in temple cloud, bristol.

If you speak to Steve tell him Shar from bristol recomended you, you may gert a discount! every little helps!

good luck

Shazjag, Hubby, 2 Kids, Swift Challenger 590SE 2014,

Mercedes Ml 280cdi SE Bristol

thanks everone, im hoping the van can be repaired how we want as it was caused by the tree surgeons so its on their insurance, does anyone know if highbridge caravans have a good name for repairs, ivan did your caravan repair go ok, as good as new ?

rod

If you have a pre-planned holiday then the tree company/insurers should pay for a hired replacement if your's isn't repaired in time. That will get them moving.

Hi at what point do they write off a caravan ? we paid £7500 last aug for swift 550challenger 2004, we have just had quotes for £6900 to repair van

another co quoted £2500 labour and parts on top so i guess the same final figure as labour was simular

, any one had any dealings, as we were taking caravan to france to leave long term, maybe its better if we get a new van ?

rod

Hi at what point do they write off a caravan ? we paid £7500 last aug for swift 550challenger 2004, we have just had quotes for £6900 to repair van

another co quoted £2500 labour and parts on top so i guess the same final figure as labour was simular

, any one had any dealings, as we were taking caravan to france to leave long term, maybe its better if we get a new van ?

rod

Rodie,

With those figures it certainly looks like a write off to me!

Who are you insured with?

I'd getting pushing for a settlement and then a "new" 'van!

G.

its the tree guys public liabiltiy that will cover it, there is a 2" dent in corner of van at the top and damage to rear grp panel, but they recon new side, roof and new rear panel? we havent even sleep in the van yet, we brought it and towed it here ready to take to france, then 4 months later this happens, but at least they are insured

its the tree guys public liabiltiy that will cover it, there is a 2" dent in corner of van at the top and damage to rear grp panel, but they recon new side, roof and new rear panel? we havent even sleep in the van yet, we brought it and towed it here ready to take to france, then 4 months later this happens, but at least they are insured

Rodie,

But surely your insurance company will pay you out and fight the case to get the funds back on your behalf. .. you did have it insured didn't you?

G.

Rodie,

But surely your insurance company will pay you out and fight the case to get the funds back on your behalf. .. you did have it insured didn't you?

G.

I suggested in several previous posts that Rodie advise/involve his insurance company - from the responses, the same question occurred to me. hope it was insured

With the prices you have quoted for repair, and the fact that although you paid 7500 in August, it will only be worth at most 7000 now, I would say any insurance will write the van off as uneconomical to repair.

I will be very very surprised if they do not.

our caravan is separatly insured yes, we have spoken to them and they have put a note on file they dont get involved unless other co wont pay ! we have have just had letter from tree guys insurance, so i hope it will all happen soon

• 3 weeks later...

just had news our van is a write off, we are going to keep van and get it repaired as the figure they were going to give us we would struggle to get a replacment van, it seems prices are steady as its the season now and sales of vans are up ?

Edited by rodie