Awning

sean c

Hi all I hope this isn't an insane and stupid question.

I've got a very good condition Isabella awning that is too short to fit my current caravan. The awning I have would cover about 3 quarters of the van leaving the side front seating area window unobscured. So my question is can I make an additional inlet/outlet point in the appropriate place on the awning rail and use this awning as a large porch type awning?

If it is possible how would I secure the flapping end of the awning to the van?

Regards Sean

Bailey s5 Senator Carolina + Ford Ranger Double Cab + VFR800Fiw

I think you need to get a professional awning repair/alteration firm to have a look at it. It's probably too short to make into a full size awning, whilst to convert into a porch type will require one end to undergo surgery!

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Yes it can be done - all it needs is to cut the awning cord at the point where you want the awning to go straight down to the ground - BUT - that needs doing with great care to get the right place and allow for the fact that putting the nearside wheel on a ramp for levelling will increase the awning height of the ground.

Isabella sell (or used to sell) kits to convert small awnings into porches - with the extra pole etc.

Thanks for the replies

I went to the N. E. C today and spoke to the very nice people on the Isabella stand who sold me the kit (£60 with fibre poles) as mentioned above and they also instructed me on how on how to make the alterations (very easy and no stiching required).

Again thanks for the help.

Sean

Thanks for the replies

I went to the N. E. C today and spoke to the very nice people on the Isabella stand who sold me the kit (£60 with fibre poles) as mentioned above and they also instructed me on how on how to make the alterations (very easy and no stiching required).

Again thanks for the help.

Sean

This is very interesting Sean - if you don't mind can you explain how to make the alteration and what the kit comprises of? We were at the NEC on Thursday, great show, with hindsight of your post, wish I'd asked for this advice as we also now have a too small Isabella awning. Thanks - R U Sure

Audi Q5 TDI Quattro - Swift Conqueror 570

Hi R U Sure

The first thing you should ask yourself is where will the end of the sort awning come on the new van (across a window or door would be a problem)

The kit consist of a ground to roof length pole to replace the awning rail that will be redundant complete with what can only be described as a short dog leg at the top (with wing nut type clamp) this is attached to the end horizontal roof pole. Around the replacment pole fits a sleeve that a long 6" wide cushion is attatched that protects the wall of the van. In the other side of that sleeve is another channel that the flapping end of the awning is fed through to secure it in the new position. You will need to break the awning cord (without damaging the awning cord casing) in order to get the necessary 90 degree angle from the roof down the side of the van. You will also need to make an outlet on the awning rail at the appropriate place. You can get a tool to do this from towsure for about £4. The only difficult bit (I believe) is making sure that you break the awning cord in the right place which I was told should be 240-242 cms from the end of the UNSTREACHED rubber pegging elastic. I think it will be safer to make the additional outlet in the awning rail and feed the awning through and mark it before making any cut.

I am no expert but I hope that all makes sense, good luck.

Regards Sean

Hi R U Sure

The first thing you should ask yourself is where will the end of the sort awning come on the new van (across a window or door would be a problem)

The kit consist of a ground to roof length pole to replace the awning rail that will be redundant complete with what can only be described as a short dog leg at the top (with wing nut type clamp) this is attached to the end horizontal roof pole. Around the replacment pole fits a sleeve that a long 6" wide cushion is attatched that protects the wall of the van. In the other side of that sleeve is another channel that the flapping end of the awning is fed through to secure it in the new position. You will need to break the awning cord (without damaging the awning cord casing) in order to get the necessary 90 degree angle from the roof down the side of the van. You will also need to make an outlet on the awning rail at the appropriate place. You can get a tool to do this from towsure for about £4. The only difficult bit (I believe) is making sure that you break the awning cord in the right place which I was told should be 240-242 cms from the end of the UNSTREACHED rubber pegging elastic. I think it will be safer to make the additional outlet in the awning rail and feed the awning through and mark it before making any cut.

I am no expert but I hope that all makes sense, good luck.

Regards Sean

Thanks Sean for the helpful instructions. I'll need to give this some thought. As you say it's critical in the first place to check where the sidewalls would fall in relation to the door and windows.

Cheers

Audi Q5 TDI Quattro - Swift Conqueror 570