A Day At The Nec Show

TedNewman

We took our van up to the NEC this year and utilised the Caravan Club Temporary Site - very well run and of course extremely convenient BUT beware that the electricity is only 6 amps (quoted) but is probably 'fused' lower because it kept tripping out with just the battery charger and TV going - everything else on gas.

However what was good was the Land Rover (brand new Range Rovers) loan of 10 cars for the continuous shuttle to and from the halls which whilst walking distance (about three quarters of a mile) it was lovely to ride in luxurious comfort.

The show itself was a delight with masses of caravans and motor homes plus a huge boating area - also plenty of tents and awnings as well as the 'accessory' stands.

We found all the sales people knowledgeable and keen (very keen) to do business and we got a couple of very good offers - in fact we almost signed 'the dotted line' but decided to allow our selves a cooling off period - it is so easy to be swept along with the tide of enthusiasm.

We studied a number of options including:-

The Trigano Silver pop up, a brilliant idea and helpful stand staff BUT the vehicle is of a very shoddy finish to the interior - a pity as that was then a scratched line from our list.

The Eriba - very well finished but just a bit too small for us - however we loved their 'awning' options.

The Airstream - in our opinions a fantastic caravan (sorry travel trailer as the Yanks call them) and if we can convince them to change the upholstery to something a bit more pleasing and throw in a couple of other 'extras' then it is still in the running HOWEVER the price would mean that it would probably have to last the rest of our days - which it should do as according to Airstream USA 61% of all their products built since 1931 are still in use today!

Of all the 'standard white boxes' the only one that came anywhere near to our wish list was the Coachman and in particular the Pastiche 470/2 or slightly smaller the 460/2 and here the sales person was very eager and offered us an extremely good deal of just £9000. 00 to swap from our 4 year old Abbey to 470/2 - this is still on our list of 'options'.

The beauty of being at the CC Temp Site was the ability to 'pop home' for lunch - we spent a very full day at the show and probably could have spent another day looking in more detail at 1001 accessories!

All in all a brilliant couple of nights at the NEC and day in the show. :lol:

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

Ted - which airstream were you looking at? We had been hoping to get down to see the 534, the single axle fixed bed, but weren't able to make it. A friend has the 684 twin which is a superb van but too big and heavy for us, he's in France skiing at the moment with it and is really pleased with the insulation.

We are hoping to pop into Tebay when we are down south end March - just depends on time. Lovely looking machines aren't they.

the only other van we would consider changing to is the new Swift stable single axle fixed bed rear washroom, trouble is I really do not like the decor and could not live with it, plus we would like Alde heating in the next van.

Just have to wait and see.

NE Scotland

Unicorn Valencia pulled by Merc E280 cdi sport

We 'fancy' the 532 but they had the 534, 684 and the all new Bambi on their stand see:- http://www. airstreameurope. co. uk/ for details. We like an end bathroom PLUS we hate having to clamber over each other when taking 'Senior' excursions in the middle of the night so twin beds suit us best and as you say the 684 is rather large!

There are many features to their 'travel trailers' which mark them out as superior to the average 'white box' BUT the shape and looks are subjective - you love it or hate it! And the one thing that got my wife fuming was their attitude of 'take it or leave it' as far upholstery is concerned - I feel certain that had Michael Hold been a little more forthcoming on this we would have signed on the dotted line there and then, as it is she is pretty adamant that if we change it will be for one where she can have some 'input'.

So all in all it doesn't look like we will be getting a new van for a while!

Have to admit we felt a wee bit the same, we had been talking to them before Christmas and some of the things we wanted to change (such as the satellite - we use a dome and wanted to keep that) they were a wee bit "this is the package and that is it"!!! Didn't put us off the van as we can always get the sat dome fitted afterwards, our friend has the black and white interior which we really liked (didn't expect to). We almost bought one years ago in the USA but found them very dark inside - the windows in the European ones are much better.

Think like you we will end up waiting a while until the Sterlings come out with a better colour scheme and a single axle with Alde heating.

NE Scotland

Unicorn Valencia pulled by Merc E280 cdi sport

We took another trip to the NEC yesterday (Sunday) and after further discussions and a long chat with the designer, my wife (Karin) has got her way and now having a bespoke upholstery set.

I am well aware that the Airstream is not everybody's 'cup of tea' or that it is outside their budget but if you are Java enabled have a look at http://www. see360. co. uk/airstreaminternational532/java/ for some of the differences or http://www. see360. co. uk/airstreaminternational532/images/ for some piccies.

We have now ordered the Airstream 532 for delivery in April and as our first 'adventure' with the 'travel trailer' will be all the way down to the toe of Italy we have also gone the whole hog to include Air-Con as well as a Safari Room for the Zip Dee awning.

I just hope we live long enough to enjoy 'the pay back' and perhaps take up another hobby as well :lol:

Edited by TedNewman

We took another trip to the NEC yesterday (Sunday) and after further discussions and a long chat with the designer, my wife (Karin) has got her way and now having a bespoke upholstery set.

I am well aware that the Airstream is not everybody's 'cup of tea' or that it is outside their budget but if you are Java enabled have a look at http://www. see360. co. uk/airstreaminternational532/java/ for some of the differences or http://www. see360. co. uk/airstreaminternational532/images/ for some piccies.

We have now ordered the Airstream 532 for delivery in April and as our first 'adventure' with the 'travel trailer' will be all the way down to the toe of Italy we have also gone the whole hog to include Air-Con as well as a Safari Room for the Zip Dee awning.

I just hope we live long enough to enjoy 'the pay back' and perhaps take up another hobby as well :lol:

Ted,

We all know they are not cheap but as I have said before, there are no pockets in shrouds.

Hope you enjoy it, I am sure you will.

Roger

Ted,

We all know they are not cheap but as I have said before, there are no pockets in shrouds.

Hope you enjoy it, I am sure you will.

Roger

Thanks Roger - that is our opinion PLUS we have no family who are hoping to inherit :D

Thanks Roger - that is our opinion PLUS we have no family who are hoping to inherit :D

I have four kids, and the way things are going all they will get is a billl from the undertakers ! :lol::lol::lol:

Regards
Ian

We had Thursday at NEC with tickets from The Ticket Factory(NEC) at £8. 50, free parking and vouchers for £2 off the substantial breakfast making it £5. 50

With the reduced number of days it was much more crowded than in previous years (we've been 30 times in as many years ) and we arrived before doors opened

We stayed at Kingsbury Water Park C & CC site and even with 16 amp needed to boost heating with gas

The remarks about the NEC supply were interesting especially as Elddis were showing the all electric caravan

The Caravan Channel made the point that on some French sites the all electric van would be hard pressed to boil a kettle

That was a lot nearer home at NEC and I wonder if Elddis got any comments from people using the site

Its always surprising when you go to NEC to find neighbours from home walking past and to learn that one of them was a home help for my mother some years ago was amazing especially as we once bought a new van from her husband

Its a small world but a tiring one at NEC

We will return next year :D

BMW X3 X Drive and Swift Challenger 580SE